Anyone have this camera

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying this camera here Hikvision DS-2CD2042WD-I 4MP Full HD WDR IR Bullet Network Camera US English Retail Version Home Security IP CCTV 4mm https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DIKF4XG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_yrsiyb6KFZCKK

I was wondering what people that owned this cam think of it. How is the night vision? Can you Id a face at night? From how many feet? Are they reliable ? Any other info would be great!

Thanks Ryan

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

harriska2

n3wb
Reaction score
Just purchased it and am comparing it to the turret version, put it up a few minutes ago. Sadly, I can't figure how to get to the settings so that I can tell it when to go to night vision. The color at night isn't bad but it is fuzzier than the microseven in gray.

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just purchased it and am comparing it to the turret version, put it up a few minutes ago. Sadly, I can't figure how to get to the settings so that I can tell it when to go to night vision. The color at night isn't bad but it is fuzzier than the microseven in gray.
I understood half what you said. Anyone else catch that ?

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying this camera here Hikvision DS-2CD2042WD-I 4MP Full HD WDR IR Bullet Network Camera US English Retail Version Home Security IP CCTV 4mm https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DIKF4XG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_yrsiyb6KFZCKK

I was wondering what people that owned this cam think of it. How is the night vision? Can you Id a face at night? From how many feet? Are they reliable ? Any other info would be great!

Thanks Ryan
Hate these cameras. I have had a few in the past and am just not a fan - but I'm also not a fan of the older traditional IR LED's vs the newer Matrix IR.

These will need to be mounted low in order to provide any type of ID and mainly only during the day, the night time on these gives you a halo IR more than most. I will post a comparable side by side pic shortly that highlights this.

Keyboard

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Ryan00, I just bought 4 of those and will use them on my new HikVision DS-7608NI-I2/8P NVR. Mine came with firmware V5.4.3 build 160902. So far I like them. They are not operational yet, so I'm unable to give feedback on your questions.

One word of caution: Make sure you're not buying Chinese versions converted to English. I suggest that you contact the seller and ask them.

I'll give you feedback once they are installed in a few days.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Here is that camera in 2mp version - which is better night vision than the 4mp version you posted. This camera is under a 2nd story eve, it is not intended to be used to ID someone as it is just an over watch camera for seeing the yard and kids outback. As you can see you get a strong halo effect from the IR. Now if this was mounted low at head height you might do a lot better, but this does a good job of highlighting the issues with traditional IR led's.

Attachments

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
As fender noted - go with a turret. The Matrix IR will provide you a much more even IR coverage and a better all around night image. This is an example of the Matrix IR - this is a 4MP version. Same back yard, just this camera is mounted in the corner and not the middle of the back of the house.

Attachments

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score

Thanks Ryan
Also Ryan check this thread out: HIKVision & LTS 3 & 4mp Camera review/example

Those are private label HIK hardware. The backyard, garage, and driveway cameras are all Turrets. You will notice the more even IR coverage they provide vs. the others that are traditional halo IR.

Good Luck!

harriska2

n3wb
Reaction score
IMG_4156.jpg
I understood half what you said. Anyone else catch that ?
I managed to login using a browser to the ip I set and port 80 (as opposed to the camera port I set to 8020, which is what confused me). From there you can set night camera sensitivity and a bunch of other stuff. The night grey was not nearly as good as color with the porch light. The halo wasn't bad. Mine is set about 10 feet up. I can see about 100 feet across the road to the apartments between the trees. For $100 I like it.

I'll put the turret up tomorrow or the other day. It is bigger so we need to find a larger mounting plate than the current ones we use.

No way is any of this good farther than 10 feet away from a person's face for identification.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
test it with an actual human being; lots of shit tricks you into thinking the image is better and you have more detail.. until an actual moving target appears on screen and you realize how mistaken you are.

im betting your exposures are too far too long to be of any actual use.

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So do you guys think this would be better? I wanna stay under $140.00

Hikvision DS-2CD2342WD-I 4MP WDR EXIR Turret Network Camera US English Retail Version Home Security IP CCTV 4mm https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DFXEK3G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_34yiyb1T4QJNH

Or this sorry I know this is hikvision part

Dahua 2016 NEW 4.0 MP Camera IP IR IP Camera IPC-HFW4421S-3.6mm Security Camera https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FQG0R4Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_xEEiybDGA7SV6

I'll have to go over to dahua and see what everyone thinks of the cam above.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The above Turret will be better than the bullet as it relates to IR/Night Vision.
But you don't own this camera? Looks like it has the same sensor as all the other cameras I picked out. Also whatever one I choose, I'll be mounting it directly above a outdoor garage light so that might help.

Anyone have any other recommendations ?

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
But you don't own this camera? Looks like it has the same sensor as all the other cameras I picked out. Also whatever one I choose, I'll be mounting it directly above a outdoor garage light so that might help.

Anyone have any other recommendations ?
I have the 2mp version and 3mp version. Also do NOT mount directly above a light, if you can center over the garage. This will allow the side garage lights to provide ambient light without washing out your image. Mounting directly above a light sometimes plays with the IR and won't allow it to kick on or washes out your image depending on the brightness of the light bulb.

Just a few words of warning

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the 2mp version and 3mp version. Also do NOT mount directly above a light, if you can center over the garage. This will allow the side garage lights to provide ambient light without washing out your image. Mounting directly above a light sometimes plays with the IR and won't allow it to kick on or washes out your image depending on the brightness of the light bulb.

Just a few words of warning
Oh ok thanks for the info . So I guess I'll mount it in th center of the garage then. Ya the lights are really bright they are 800 lumens and I think 2800k color temperature I have 2 on each side.

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, that IR sensor is a Matrix ir sensor - its not the traditional IR LED's.

Sorry, thats what I refer to as Matrix IR.