Anyone using tablets as monitors around the house?

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
It's that time again... I've got an itch to spend more money, and the idea of having dedicated tablets mounted to walls and setup on counters throughout the house is appealing to me. I've used a Nook HD a while back, and while it works as a static display, it's woefully under-powered for the resolution of the screen it supports (FHD).

Anyone doing this? Any recommendations for cheap but capable tablets?

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
I didn't use a tablet, I got this touch screen monitor a few months back for $125, then picked up this HDMI Intel PC stick $119 and a $10 wall mount - full touch system for $250. Now I have "Touch Screen PC" that shows all my cameras, does review and playback - can export to a usb memory stick if I want via the side USB ports as well as shows daily weather, and obviously has the ability to show anything else I want. Mounted this in our Kitchen in the breakfast nook.

Touch Screen:
http://www.staples.com/Acer-UMWW0AAT01-215-Full-HD-Touchscreen-LED-backlit-LCD-Monitor/product_IM1VV0443

HDMI Intel Compute Stick:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/intel-compute-stick-intel-atom-2gb-memory-32gb-emmc-flash-memory-black/8155217.p?id=1219693696374&skuId=8155217

its a 1.33GHz Atom w/2gb ram with 32GB flash memory - all 9 cameras run and the weather app runs putting the CPU at around 80% and memory at 50% utilization.

IMG_1826.pngIMG_1827.png

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
That's a great idea. Probably a bit too big for my needs though. The tablet idea appeals to me because of the low profile and being able to run Blue Iris as an app - I'll have the ability to replay. Exporting I would do from any one of my PCs with a keyboard.

avi6581

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's that time again... I've got an itch to spend more money, and the idea of having dedicated tablets mounted to walls and setup on counters throughout the house is appealing to me. I've used a Nook HD a while back, and while it works as a static display, it's woefully under-powered for the resolution of the screen it supports (FHD).

i use an old Galaxy s2 phone and a Samsung galaxy tab 2. The one near the front door I have cycling through the cameras, and when it detects motion it pauses on that camera. Great for seeing who's on the porch before answering.

Works great.

acp_xt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

I use a 2012 Nexus7 and a Galaxy S2 fire exactly this purpose. Both run tinyCAM Monitor Pro and are powerful enough for the secondary streams in multi channel view.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

lviperz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not the best resolution but the kindle fire 7" tablet is only $50 and amazon has a 6-pack. Buy 5 and get the 6th free. I thought about getting a 6-pack for my home automation as control panels but could be used for camera monitors also.

Reaction score
I'm curious how well the kindle fire 7" ($50 one) will perform for 7 cameras. I was also thinking about buying a few of them for around the house.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm curious how well the kindle fire 7" ($50 one) will perform for 7 cameras. I was also thinking about buying a few of them for around the house.
It will be too small to view properly from a distance. You will have to be right up close.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I just bought this on impulse and based on some of the YT reviews. 10" with some pretty impressive specs given the low price ($150).