Anyway to limit the travel (pan) on boot up?

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Every time it my Mini PTZ boots it travels about 120° and hits the house. I'm afraid it might strip the gears. Anyway to limit the travel?

Thanks!

korakora

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Every time it my Mini PTZ boots it travels about 120° and hits the house. I'm afraid it might strip the gears. Anyway to limit the travel?

Thanks!
unfortunately there is no function at mini ptz, but in dome version can limit pan degree at preset95 menu

10.52.4.15_00_00_20160103114133859.jpg

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
The first thing I asked Monica when I got my ptz if there was a way to disable this self test on every boot...

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks! Hopefully that option will be introduced in a new firmware release.

SquareEyes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Be interesting to see how this pans out.

So far it appears that Huisun don't appear to concerned about addressing end user concerns for these wonder cams. This is going to be one of the critical issues that determines their ongoing "success".

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score

So far it appears that Huisun don't appear to concerned about addressing end user concerns for these wonder cams. This is going to be one of the critical issues that determines their ongoing "success".
They did address one issue with previous firmware related to onvif, although that hasn't been reported they seemed to just fixed it. The new firmware is junk though.

alphawave7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Punny!

Or not...they may iterate hardware faster than software and new generations will simply work better by design and tech improvements. That IS sort of against the trend by Google and others (I think to their detriment) to release beta quality hardware and condition the client to EXPECT updates to make them meet the sales specs (recent Chromecast Audio comes to mind...which I love, but had to wait a few months for). :)

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Why not mount it to a flat surface with no obstructions near the PTZ? If it hits the house during startup it can hit the house while under normal use so it's more an installation error that can't be solved via software.

lulu5kamz

Known around here
Reaction score
Why not mount it to a flat surface with no obstructions near the PTZ? If it hits the house during startup it can hit the house while under normal use so it's more an installation error that can't be solved via software.
Another possibility, install it on a junction box to help give more room from the wall.

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If it hits the house during startup it can hit the house while under normal use so it's more an installation error that can't be solved via software.
Not unless I want to look at a lot of brick. How can this not be solved by software? Other PTZ's allow you to have travel limits. Junction box would look like ass where it's at. I could make something to extend the arm a little that would solve the issue.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
It could probably be solved by a software setting unless the pan is part of a self-test or calibration routine. Any software movement limitations wouldn't survive a reset either and the first powerup after that would start the problem again. It would certainly help the number of times it hit though, there's no denying that.

If it's mounted to brick (sounds possible from what you say the obstruction is), why not cut a chunk of matching brick, drill it as required, and use that as your spacer instead of a junction box? If it's not brick, just use something small and sturdy that matches either the cam or what it's mounted to?

SquareEyes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Really?

Are there gears inside these wonder cameras? I would have thought P&T would have been stepper motors. Not best practice running without end-stop sensors for the steppers, perhaps I am naive about damage that dodgy firmware could really cause. Wouldn't worry about cheap, cheerful cameras.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Not best practice running without end-stop sensors for the steppers
Lol! I think the point is that the camera is hitting the wall, not the internal end-stop.
I would have thought P&T would have been stepper motors.
Just like was used in CDs and floppies and HDDs of 20 years ago?
The need for speed, and precision, has moved that positioning technology on somewhat.

SquareEyes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry Alastair.

You are a legend for your work and I learn much from your work here, and thank you for it.

Mate, are we thinking about stepper motors the same way? 20 years ago? Steppers, not servos?

I'll take your word for it.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I was a bit sarky in my comment, for which apologies. But I thought you were being a bit harsh about the cameras.
Yes, stepper motors as used in early generation HDDs etc, hit it with 53 pulses and you know where it is without a position sensor if it had been zeroed and hadn't stalled. But a bit slow and low mechanical resolution by modern standards.

acvb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
AND still, it's a great camera for the price we paid for it.

fmflex

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Another possibility, install it on a junction box to help give more room from the wall.
I went to install mine finally on the weekend and where I want to mount it on the fascia under the gutter it would have hit the gutter on bootup or panning right around to one side or the other. So I also decided to mount mine on on a junction box to give it more clearance but as I opted for extra larger gutters, I didn't have a junction box that would give the camera enough clearance to clear the gutter without looking ridiculous. Anyhow I've got a suitable one now so waiting to paint it then I'll get her up.