Appears that my new roof mounted HIKVision PTZ burned out in 2.34' rain yesterday. HELP ANYONE.

Doug2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Old nearly useless Vet here, with blonde, beautiful, young energetic wife. You might know the we sent several email with our brilliant low cost, theft/vandal hardened "Crocodile" LPR system. After 3 months of dealing with 3 previous faulty or one misrepresented company, your Store sold me HIKVision LPR and 2 ptz Minidomes, that have performed perfectly until after a 2.34" rain last nite. Our roof line ptz went out after several hours of Rain. This is the camera we mounted hi above the elderly hard-headed ex-Marine who refuses to sell his motorhome that prevents me from covering him and his 3 elderly neighbors on one side of the culdesac next to him. He recently told us that due to age and health he will travel very little and relented for us mounting a camera to cover my four neighbors blocked by his beloved motorhome. (Poor old Jarhead thinks that Good Sam Club is related to Uncle Sam and despite his annual promises he will sell the darned thing. But, God Bless him he is a Marine vet and we love him). We are still in shock that he relented to placing a camera at top of his roof ladder saving us from erecting street light pole, conduit lines and days of work and expense, which of course has to be done by my hot, young, blonde, beautiful wife who I'm cajoling to build a sun-room or me on the back of the house. HERE ARE THE QUESTIONS. Do I eat the $250 for the cord and camera that clearly had smoked connections on the ptz, or will Store/Manufacturer help me on the costs? In any event, what type of Camera do I put up on top his motorhome? I have enclosed a picture of the Q-tips of the smoke residue we took from connection. There was clearly water in the back of the mount kit where we stuffed the camera wires with little protective tape around the wires. We thought the camera isself was weather resistant and we did read the instructions that said dont mount directly uIMG_9685.JPGnder stream of water. Note: our genius SampleNHold had warned me once about taping a loose wire on a perch camera riding on the LPR. Can you other smart guys help this old Vet solve his last obstacle to spending his final years protecting my elderly neighbors from property theft and violent home invasionIMG_9685.JPGIMG_9734.JPGIMG_9732.jpgIMG_9734.JPGs?IMG_9732.jpg

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This is the result of improper installation which allowed water to enter the connection. No warranty will cover that.

Doug2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is the result of improper installation which allowed water to enter the connection. No warranty will cover that.
Thank you, what product do you think I can mount on top of neighbor's motorhome, because it will be exposted to the elements there also. All my old Samsung and Wisenets have endured thru the years with only 1 or 2 failures out of 12 in nearly a decade. I do appreciate your advise as you are always so helpful. Old Vet

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Ignoring the Heath-Robinson method used to mount you should have used self amalgamating tape over the joint which would have helped to keep the water out.

Not too sure what it might be called state side but is the same tape that satellite installers use to waterproof the connection of the cable to the LNB. You stretch the tape which starts a catalytic reaction and wrap it around the joint starting a few inches before and finishing a few inches after.

Doug2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In addition the hottest thing up there was my hot energetic wife who cursed the heat (150 degree heat) and burned her fingers on the roof. We live and learn by trial and error whether at Aberdeen Proving Grounds or my genius "Crocodile" contraption.

Doug2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ignoring the Heath-Robinson method used to mount you should have used self amalgamating tape over the joint which would have helped to keep the water out.

Not too sure what it might be called state side but is the same tape that satellite installers use to waterproof the connection of the cable to the LNB. You stretch the tape which starts a catalytic reaction and wrap it around the joint starting a few inches before and finishing a few inches after.
Lord you Brits are smart, now if you could just speak the King's English so this old vet could hear you. lol and thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you, what product do you think I can mount on top of neighbor's motorhome, because it will be exposted to the elements there also. All my old Samsung and Wisenets have endured thru the years with only 1 or 2 failures out of 12 in nearly a decade. I do appreciate your advise as you are always so helpful. Old Vet
It's not the brand. You improperly weatherproofed the ethernet connection that's why the ethernet connection has the burns. How did you weatherproof it?

Doug2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's not the brand. You improperly weatherproofed the ethernet connection that's why the ethernet connection has the burns. How did you weatherproof it?
The way was the way every soldier repairs anything....Duct tape, but we used red to warn lo flying Zeros.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Any outdoor camera connection needs to be water proofed.
Duck Tape is NOT waterproof.
To do properly, This starts with a dab of Di-electric grease on the connection contacts its self before connection.

Then wrap the entire connection with
Then wrap over the top of that with Scotch 33+ electrical tape.
For good measure, that all should be placed in a proper waterproof junction box.

Where that cam is mounted, sure looks like the exhaust stack for a furnace, not a sewage vent. Bad place for it to be.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In addition the hottest thing up there was my hot energetic wife who cursed the heat (150 degree heat) and burned her fingers on the roof. We live and learn by trial and error whether at Aberdeen Proving Grounds or my genius "Crocodile" contraption.
You can easily damage a roof by walking on it, when the outdoor temp is above 85f.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Another case of if I were closer to you I'd come out and have a look to see if it can be saved, but Tulsa is a loooong commute from NJ.

Seriously, you do need to carefully weatherproof the RJ45 connection especially if it's not in a weather proof/resistant box. Keep in mind that PTZ uses a lot more power than those other cameras you mentioned, so if water, or even condensation, gets in there it'll fry pretty easily. @looney2ns gave you the right way to do it. I just swapped out a camera today and even though it's mounted to the matching weather proof box I did the dielectric grease, self vulcanizing tape and 33+ tape procedure. Even weather proof boxes can leak and condensation happens inside them no matter what you do.

Incidentally, those boxes may be water proof but they aren't ant proof. I had to spray as I worked and gave it all a good soaking in between taking down the old camera and putting up the new one.

Last edited:

Doug2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Another case of if I were closer to you I'd come out and have a look to see if it can be saved, but Tulsa is a loooong commute from NJ.

Seriously, you do need to carefully weatherproof the RJ45 connection especially if it's not in a weather proof/resistant box. Keep in mind that PTZ uses a lot more power than those other cameras you mentioned, so if water, or even condensation, gets in there it'll fry pretty easily. @looney2ns gave you the right way to do it. I just swapped out a camera today and even though it's mounted to the matching weather proof box I did the dielectric grease, self vulcanizing tape and 33+ tape procedure. Even weather proof boxes can leak and condensation happens inside them no matter what you do.

Incidentally, those boxes may be water proof but they aren't ant proof. I had to spray as I worked and gave it all a good soaking in between taking down the old camera and putting up the new one.
Your a Saint even if you live in the land of Mobsters. Thx, Old Vet

Doug2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Your a Saint even if you live in the land of Mobsters. Thx, Old Vet
Im confused: what would a waterproof box be for the ptz dome on the mounting device. Can you still use the waterproof cable connector with a mounting device?