Application error

rockyjones

n3wb
Reaction score
For several months I've been getting application errors tied to Blue Iris (event 1000) in Win 10 event viewer. Doesn't happen every day. I have seen two today but the last event was one on 6/18, then back on 6/10 I had four errors, 6/9 had six and 6/5 had one. Blue Iris crashes and then reloads almost immediately. I can't find anything in the error logs or event viewer that would give me a clue as to what might be causing this. I contacted Blue Iris support and they said it could be a memory problem but I don't have any other apps that are having a problem and memory diagnostics run just fine. Event Viewer doesn't show any other apps failing with event id 1000 either.

Is anyone else seeing application errors tagged to Blue Iris in their Even Viewer?

Thanks,

Joe

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Provide the trace back information. Error 1000 is a general Microsoft error.
What version of BI ?
What Version of Windows ?

rockyjones

n3wb
Reaction score
Provide the trace back information. Error 1000 is a general Microsoft error.
What version of BI ?
What Version of Windows ?
Running latest version of both BI (as of yesterday) and Win 10 (21H1). This error has happened in the last 8 or more versions of BI and several big updates to Win 10. I have the error going back to at least February of this year.

Here is the event log info from the latest crash today:

Faulting application name: BlueIris.exe, version: 5.4.8.2, time stamp: 0x60ce0816
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.19041.1023, time stamp: 0x7977b9de
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x00000000000ff199
Faulting process id: 0x2050
Faulting application start time: 0x01d76ac24710ee23
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 5\BlueIris.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 5d102a0c-59eb-44d1-894d-fc2cced5f070
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Thanks,

Joe

vidmo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Same here. I've tried to find a stable version to no avail.

Faulting application name: BlueIris.exe, version: 5.4.7.11, time stamp: 0x60c3cf97
Faulting module name: BlueIris.exe, version: 5.4.7.11, time stamp: 0x60c3cf97
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000011393f0
Faulting process id: 0x4a55c

Faulting application name: BlueIris.exe, version: 5.4.8.2, time stamp: 0x60ce0816
Faulting module name: BlueIris.exe, version: 5.4.8.2, time stamp: 0x60ce0816
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000011a75e0
Faulting process id: 0x36b64

vidmo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've not had any issues with BI crashing like this ever. My system has been 100% stable until recently and I know there have been no changes to the system as I run on this on server grade hardware and Server 2019.

Looks like these issues started around April with BlueIris.exe, version: 5.4.1.1 and then again with BlueIris.exe, version: 5.4.3.8 and again with BlueIris.exe, version: 5.4.7.8 and recently with BlueIris.exe, version: 5.4.7.11 and BlueIris.exe, version: 5.4.8.2.

The frequency seems to be somewhat random. Sometimes it will crash in the same day, sometimes it will stay up for two days. The 5.4.7.11 version seem to be the worst of the bunch. So much for the "most stable version". 5.4.7.8 seems to have the same issues too. I'm running BI as an App not as a service, but I think I'll switch over to running it as a service so at least when it crashes it will re-start on its own without having to reply of a 3rd party tool.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Just a thought here. I suspect you guys are having a problem specific to your systems for some reason. I have been updating BI regularly with no problems and am currently running 5.4.9.1. In my case it's an older i7-6700K running Win10/Pro. BI is running as a service since I installed it. There are some significant differences between Pro and Home. Additionally, I have stopped all Windows updates for the last two years on theory that if it ain't broke and works well don't fix it. Just the hassles of video driver updates that Windows does during updates is enough to raise your blood pressure. I am also using DeepStack on that same machine, Windows CPU version. Once in a while, if DeepStack gets hit with five or six concurrent analysis streams, DeepStack will stall and restart but that's as close as it comes to a crash.

Another tact would be to wipe everything, including BI and all configurations in it (after deactivating the license and noting the license number), and start with a fresh install of Windows using the media creation tool. It will probably take more time to install and setup BI than install Windows but that will probably be less than the amount of time trying to troubleshoot the problem.

vidmo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That's the beauty of running Server 2019, I have full control over updates and drivers. Nothing goes onto this system unless I want it to. The last time I updated Intel video drivers was back in December 2020. These issues started in April and have gotten progressively worse with each BI version.

Note: I've been running BI since 2014 so I think I have a pretty good idea how to do it correctly.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Well, you definitely have something going on that most others don't. Blaming it on BI, or more importantly, being focused on BI as the cause may lead you away from the real reason. Is there anything else running on your BI machine? One obvious difference is Server edition versus plain old Win10/Pro. I'd also assume that your probably running a Xeon processor which is another variable in the mix. All these little things can easily add up to random headaches.

vidmo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Again, 100% stable for years up until April of this year when BI started to have random crashes. I know my hardware and setups, they are not at fault. Saying "most others don't have this issue" is a fallacy as no one likely uses BI in exactly the same way. I may be using features that others are not and vice versa. Just because you don't see this issue does not mean the software doesn't have a defect.

I'll contact Ken and provide some logs and see what he says. In my case it looks like its failing with the same Exception code each time, so that does make it likely that there is a defect in that function.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Good luck, but I still feel it is specific to your particular configuration and the recent upgrades in BI. When I say most are not experiencing the problem I mean 95% or greater. That seems like a petty good indicator to me.

vidmo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Good luck, but I still feel it is specific to your particular configuration and the recent upgrades in BI. When I say most are not experiencing the problem I mean 95% or greater. That seems like a petty good indicator to me.
Now that statement I can agree with. There might be some edge case I'm falling into, but that still means that I've run into a defect in the application in that edge case.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You're also discounting the possibility that a file has gone just corrupt enough to cause a problem or a piece of hardware, anything from memory, CPU, GPU if you're using one, has a problem. Yeah, that makes it unique but not the fault of software.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I used to have this problem, emailed support about it, never really understood why it started, like others here it just randomly started and then for me it just randomly stopped. Touch wood haven’t seen the issue for the last few months and like others here I don’t tend to change things with changes limited to Win10 security updates, driver updates are blocked and BI updates both of which I manually trigger and install.

rockyjones

n3wb
Reaction score
In my case it looks like its failing with the same Exception code each time, so that does make it likely that there is a defect in that function.
In my case, I see several exception codes. Most often is 374 which I believe is a heap error. The next most prevalent is 005 and finally a couple of 409's.

I have 32 gig of ram in this machine which is way more than I need for Blue Iris and that is all this machine runs. I think I'll pull out two of the four modules and go down to 16 gig and see if anything changes. If not, I'll swap the two back for the remaining two just to check if it is possibly a memory issue.

vidmo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You're also discounting the possibility that a file has gone just corrupt enough to cause a problem or a piece of hardware, anything from memory, CPU, GPU if you're using one, has a problem. Yeah, that makes it unique but not the fault of software.
Again, server grade hardware. ECC memory, redundant power supplies, etc, all power protected via industrial UPSs. I can assure you that if the hardware was having issues I would see it in my monitoring tools.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Well, that didn't take long. Pulled out two memory modules, went to the store, came back and had two failures with 374 codes. Swapped the two modules I pulled out with the two in the machine and we'll see how that goes.
The process of isolating these issues is never fun. Sufficed to say, it is highly unlikely the two memory modules you pulled are the problem.

rockyjones

n3wb
Reaction score
The process of isolating these issues is never fun. Sufficed to say, it is highly unlikely the two memory modules you pulled are the problem.
Understand, but Blue Iris support suggested a possible memory problem. Who knows? Since it is mostly a "heap" error that I'm seeing, it may be a heap allocation problem with Blue Iris or another app running in the background; a Windows app since I don't start anything but Blue Iris with DeepStack on this machine and this problem has been happening before DeepStack came along.

Joe

vidmo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here is the answer from Ken, at least for my issue.

"This MAY have been in the motion detector. Coincidentally, I did find/correct a potential crash issue there for 5.4.9. Please let me know if this continues and provide the new crash details, as well as please narrow this to occur only when "camera X" is enabled. Thanks Ken"