Appropriate Hardware

oli847

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I'm looking at setting up a BI system at home. Looking at 6-8 cameras, not too sure whether 4k or 1080 yet though. I have acquired an old HP server from work, and I was wondering if you think it'll have enough grunt to run everything. Ideally I'd like it to run a Plex server and a couple of other bits and pieces as well.

It's an HP Proliant DL360 G6. It has 2 Intel Xeon E5504 processors, and plenty of RAM (32GB off thr top of my head). Not sure yet whether to use the on board storage or a NAS box as well. Is there any performance differential? Is that server going to cope with that number of cameras?

Also looking at POE switches, the Cisco 10/100 24 port POE switches can be found on ebay dead cheap, but the gigabit ones are WAY more expensive. is 100MB/s connection OK for IP cameras? I'd prefer Gigabit, because I could also use it for a couple of APs around the house, but it's not vital.

Thanks
Oli

Last edited:

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Check with the information here - IPCamTalk WiKi | IP Cam Talk

Most cameras run 100MB so a 100MB switch, with gig a few gig ports for the PC or other uses would work fine. Don't get caught in the megapixel trap. 4MP cameras have great daytime video and marginal nighttime video. Read the stuff on the Wiki and it will help you tremendously and stop you from wasting money on crap gear and cameras.

My "goto" camera for general use is the Dahua 5231R-Z series. 2MP and great video day or night.

oli847

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Both, it looks like I'll have to source a separate PC for this then, which is fine. @awsum140, I'm looking for good camera recommendations, looking for outdoor, PTZ, POE. I could find the one you mention on amazon, I'm based in the UK, if that makes a difference...

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd say check with Andy at Empire Security and look around on the Dahua thread here. There's lots of reviews and videos of Dahua PTZ cameras in there plus the ones listed in the cliff notes. Just stick to the Starvis, 2Mp, series unless you have some deeper pockets. The international versions will work fine for you and Andy ships worldwide by DHL.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I could find the one you mention on amazon, I'm based in the UK, if that makes a difference...
x2 on @awsum140's comments. Dahua makes a line of cameras tagged "Starlight" that are the best bang for the buck when it comes to low-light performance. The forum here has a trusted reseller (Andy at Empire Security -- @EMPIRETECANDY) that hundreds and hundreds of folks have purchased from. He's based in China, buys unbranded (i.e. no logo) international versions (i.e. no problems upgrading firmware) of cameras directly from Dahua and then ships them quickly worldwide with DHL.

When you have a chance, check out these notes put together by @giomania:
IPCamTalk Cliff Notes 2018-03.docx

oli847

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your replies. I'll need to scope out exactly what I need, probably one PTZ and 3 or 4 bullet cameras, then I'll contact Andy I guess. I've set up an evaluation copy of BI with a couple of old cheap and nasty IP cameras I had and I'm really impressed with it. The biggest job will be running cables now I think.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
3 or 4 bullet cameras
Cabling definitely was definitely the PITA part of my install. :) If you're going to be using these cameras outside, you might consider turrets over bullets. They typically do better in regards to spiders not making webs over them. Not that they're immune from that, just the turret form factor makes it a bit harder for them.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Cabling can be a lot of work. I did 200 feet of trench, with a shovel, for conduit last fall. Worth the effort, I think, in the end though. Worst part was drilling through the poured concrete foundation. Get a good RJ45 crimper and a cable tester. Both will save lots of frustration and cursing.

Here's another one for your reading pleasure. Loaded with tons of great information and references - IPCamTalk Cliff Notes 2018-03.docx

oli847

n3wb
Reaction score
@aristobrat, yeah, looking at costs and whatnot, I think I may as well go for the turrets over bullets. I thought that wall mounting would be more difficult, but looking at some of these links, the wall mounts look good for the turrets, and you get the PTZ option as well. I was thinking of doing the "main" camera, on the front corner of the house as an SD49212T, or SD49225T, they look like a bit more of a deterrence I think. The rest can be the Dahua 5231R-Z series as recommended by @awsum140, they look like exactly what I'm after. Thanks for all your advice guys :)