Archive clips for storage:

Wen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I used to pay for an FTP cloud account to save all BI clips and JPGs.. I've stopped the FTP account, and gave up the domain name.

When I open up BI and check the clips and alerts on the right side I give them a quick check, then delete them all. But every now and then wish I could go back and recheck alerts from a couple of days ago. The other day I noticed a different car and recalled seeing that car parked two days before, but I had deleted those clips.

I would like to save all of the alerts and clips to a directory on the hard drive (C:\Camalerts). for long term (a week or so) storage, and still be able to quickly review and delete clips and alerts from the UI.

I'm sure someone will suggest "Don't delete the alerts so quickly". But I don't like having a bunch of clips and alerts on the BI interface.

Thanks in advance....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I used to pay for an FTP cloud account to save all BI clips and JPGs.. I've stopped the FTP account, and gave up the domain name.

When I open up BI and check the clips and alerts on the right side I give them a quick check, then delete them all. But every now and then wish I could go back and recheck alerts from a couple of days ago. The other day I noticed a different car and recalled seeing that car parked two days before, but I had deleted those clips.

I would like to save all of the alerts and clips to a directory on the hard drive (C:\Camalerts). for long term (a week or so) storage, and still be able to quickly review and delete clips and alerts from the UI.

I'm sure someone will suggest "Don't delete the alerts so quickly". But I don't like having a bunch of clips and alerts on the BI interface.

Thanks in advance....
Yes, the solution is to stop micro managing BI and get treatment for the OCD.
You can also use the new and stored folders and select to only show the new folders in the right side clips view.

Reactions: Wen

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Get another hard drive, they're not very expensive, in the terabyte range and store all the clips there. Don't store clips/alerts on the C drive, the constant writes can shorten drive life significantly. Depending on the number of cameras, frame rate, bit rate and resolution, you can record continuously. I've got nine cameras running at 10fps, 4096 max bit rate and all are two megapixel recording 24/7 with seven days of storage. It's just over 2TB of video. BI handles it with no problem like fenderman says.

Reactions: Wen

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Get another hard drive, they're not very expensive, in the terabyte range and store all the clips there. Don't store clips/alerts on the C drive, the constant writes can shorten drive life significantly. Depending on the number of cameras, frame rate, bit rate and resolution, you can record continuously. I've got nine cameras running at 10fps, 4096 max bit rate and all are two megapixel recording 24/7 with seven days of storage. It's just over 2TB of video. BI handles it with no problem like fenderman says.
he doesnt have a space issue, he is just ocd. Also you are assuming he is using an ssd as a primary drive.

Wen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm not OCD, just tidy! So, is there a way to get BI to save clips and alerts in two different folders. I've read the help files, and I searched the forum for similar questions.

That was one advantage of the FTP service, I could log on and find uploaded files from the past month.

Again, Thanks! Excuse me, I have to go arrange my tools in alphabetical order... :)

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I suggested the bigger drive to provide 24/7 storage space. Even a traditional, platter style drive, can suffer shortened life from constant read/write operations even those optimized for surveillance use. It just seems prudent to keep the clips/alerts on a separate drive to try, at least, to eliminate, or at least mitigate, another potential failure point. So far, I've had two SSD drives fail in under two years from software that produces heavy writes, and it ain't fun when they just crap out with the OS and all the tweaks and software.

PS - Wen, first sort the tools by type, then alphabetical order.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I suggested the bigger drive to provide 24/7 storage space. Even a traditional, platter style drive, can suffer shortened life from constant read/write operations even those optimized for surveillance use. It just seems prudent to keep the clips/alerts on a separate drive to try, at least, to eliminate, or at least mitigate, another potential failure point. So far, I've had two SSD drives fail in under two years from software that produces heavy writes, and it ain't fun when they just crap out with the OS and all the tweaks and software.

PS - Wen, first sort the tools by type, then alphabetical order.
he was clear that he has adequate space, its just bothers him to have the clips because of the ocd.
traditional drives do not have issues with lots of writes....they are designed for that purpose.
even ssd will run for many years - even with heavy writes, way longer than their spec...just dont buy crap brands or tiny ssd's...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not OCD, just tidy! So, is there a way to get BI to save clips and alerts in two different folders. I've read the help files, and I searched the forum for similar questions.

That was one advantage of the FTP service, I could log on and find uploaded files from the past month.

Again, Thanks! Excuse me, I have to go arrange my tools in alphabetical order... :)
Sorry buddy, that is OCD.
First understand that alerts are not video clips. they just point to locations in the clip. The low res image is stored in the database. You can store higher res images in the alerts folder but that is pointless.
you can store NEW and STORED clips in different folders. You can export your old files to another folder or run a local ftp server. But the true solution is to deal with the OCD.