Archiving clips to NAS saturates network and causes cameras to lose connection

noenflux

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey all, I have been loving Blue Iris, but have now started running into a very puzzling issue.

I have three stages of storage - "New" (local SSD), "Store" (local spinning disk) and "Archive" (networked Unraid server).

When the "Move to folder" triggers on Stored clips, it completely saturates my gigabit connection and the cameras lose connection until the file transfer has completed.

I am a bit at a loss how to manage this. Seems like this is something I'd need to configure at the router/switch level, because I can't see any way to set bandwidth limits at either an application level for Blue Iris, or at a Windows system level.

Has anyone else run into this before, and any guidance how to properly solve it?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey all, I have been loving Blue Iris, but have now started running into a very puzzling issue.

I have three stages of storage - "New" (local SSD), "Store" (local spinning disk) and "Archive" (networked Unraid server).

When the "Move to folder" triggers on Stored clips, it completely saturates my gigabit connection and the cameras lose connection until the file transfer has completed.

I am a bit at a loss how to manage this. Seems like this is something I'd need to configure at the router/switch level, because I can't see any way to set bandwidth limits at either an application level for Blue Iris, or at a Windows system level.

Has anyone else run into this before, and any guidance how to properly solve it?
What is your network topology? Your blue iris pc should be plugged into the same switch as the cameras and nas or a switch cascading from one of these switches. Dont plug the BI pc into the router.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What is the size of the files. Some system and network have problems with large files. Reduce the file size.

if using continuous recording on the BI camera settings, record tab, set the combine and cut video to 1 hour or 2 GB. You can go as high as 4GB, but no higher.

Also does BI have the privileges to write to the NAS, the correct user.

noenflux

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey all, thanks for the replies!

I have a single managed POE switch for my network that the Blue Iris box is plugged into. Videos are set to cut at 8hrs or 4gb. Everything "works" from a backup and storage point of view.

In investigating I realized my switch firmware was almost 5 years old and the original that shipped with the unit. After going through a couple of hours of release to release upgrades, it looks like the problem was indeed poor/lacking QoS support on the switch.

With the latest switch firmware, even on default configuration, I the problem is no longer repro-ing. Looking at overall network traffic, even with multiple other devices saturating the switch capacity (tested up to ~5gbit load), everything appears to be working fine over multiple large archive tests.

Lesson learned - update firmware! Thanks all