Are camera's useful anymore for theft?

Reaction score
A lot of great comments here.

Just because this specific time they were all covered up does not mean that is the norm. Yeah it's a bummer if you can't ID those guys. But there will be times that good cameras, placed well, will get you an ID, or at least clothing color/description, etc. and like K175un3 stated 'physical idiosyncrasies'. We had some door checkers come though the neighborhood and did get into a few cars, not mine. But my videos were good enough to ID the guy that came to my jeep. The police stated, 'Yeah, I know that guy'.

If you decide to arm yourself, take to heart what looney2ns had to say. Competitive shooting also can be a great way to build your skill set. Training is a must. If you do buy a firearm, make sure you secure it if it is not in your physical possession. I believe that everyone should be allowed to defend themselves with a firearm. But no everyone has the temperament to do it safely.

But no matter what, exiting your home to confront a perp over a car is not the best thing to do. You have just given the perp(s) the upper hand as they know you are there, but you really do not know how many of them there are or where they are located. Like Harry Dean Stanton once said, "Only an asshole gets killed for a car".

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Floodlights and PA systems are another damm good deterrent, bigger is certainly better with them.

Just imagine anyone's reaction to being suddenly assaulted by about 10KW of lights and 2KW of ride of the valkyries whilst trying to be quiet because they're up to no good.

Tom S

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just a generalization but backed by long experience:

The burglar that breaks into your actual house will most likely come to your front door first and knock or ring and assess if they want to go further. They will then most often get in via the sides or rear where they are out of view. At a residence this is most likely to happen mid morning or to mid afternoon. The house burglar most often arrives in a car and will often have a partner. Detached garages are most often broken into a night

At home your car is most likely to get "broken into" by people that walk the street checking car doors or checking them with with flashlights with the high time late at night. The big exception to this is if you have a car that the thief specializes in stealing then they will be going around looking to find the right kind of car frequently in another stolen car.

In conjunction with that, I would plan my cameras around that premise for good night vs good daytime cameras when planning what to cover with what camera.

Locking your car at night, not leaving stuff in the car and not owning the high theft kinds of cars put you way ahead of others in becoming a victim.

For your house, having an alarm, having nosy neighbors, having dog, and other security measures do the same for your house.

Your cameras do have a use and a camera that captured good information on cars coming into the neighborhood would also be great. The cameras are absolutely a part of a complete system to help make you and your neighbors safer but certainly not invulnerable.

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
In my area, I have a longer-range high-resolution camera that takes snapshots of everyone who walks by on the sidewalk. I flip through them daily to stay familiar with who's in the area, who they hang out with, and take note of certain things: lowrider pants, tats, etc. My system archives the day's photos near midnight, so I can go back through the photos to match up a prowler by their shoes, backpack, clothing, hat, etc. Done that a few times...

Tom S

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In my area, I have a longer-range high-resolution camera that takes snapshots of everyone who walks by on the sidewalk. I flip through them daily to stay familiar with who's in the area, who they hang out with, and take note of certain things: lowrider pants, tats, etc. My system archives the day's photos near midnight, so I can go back through the photos to match up a prowler by their shoes, backpack, clothing, hat, etc. Done that a few times...

Sounds like a very smart strategy!

In some crimes just matching distinctive clothing from video evidence is quite useful.

Reaction score
The topic is a good reminder not to leave items in your car!..Stealing from cars is the most preventable theft!!

A night of car prowling usually nets an offender a lucrative haul of change, wallets, tools, cigarettes and other items.

Cameras don't Detect, Deter or Respond but they do record information. It's that information that can prove invaluable at times of investigating matters. The better the info, the better the chance of success.

Your right, in that criminals are getting smarter by concealing their identity. The cameras are only an investigative aid and more often than not they provide many details that wouldn't be available without them.

Keep your cameras on...keeps your car empty and you won't need a gun.

asanjuan1

n3wb
Reaction score
I live in a relatively good neighborhood but because of the location (out of the way) we have a lot of issues with people's cars being broken into and even stolen. 2 cars in the past year, that I know of, have been stolen from my neighborhood.

This morning I received a message to check my camera's to see if anyone was on it around 1-3 am. Sure enough around 2:15 am a guy walks up to my car and tried to open the driver side door and then moved to the next house. His face was fully covered with a mask and had gloves on. Even if my camera's did capture anything it would have been useless. There were also 3 of them. 2 across the street. If I was awake and I went out there I would probably have 3 people jumping on me and that is if you don't get shot first.

I am more worried about it escalating and getting into the houses. For the first time in my life I am actually considering a gun. I have never even held a gun but this is what it's coming to.

I have Hikvision camera's that are good but pretty useless at night to really identify anything. They are supposed to be motion activated but things such as bugs and headlights are constantly causing motion trips. Do they make perimeter alert systems? Maybe some invisible barrier so if someone breaks the barrier in the middle of the night I can get alerted. Would seem there would be less of a chance of false alarms, except for maybe critters and such, than motion activation on the camera's.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
I feel your pain.
I live in a relatively good neighborhood but because of the location (out of the way) we have a lot of issues with people's cars being broken into and even stolen. 2 cars in the past year, that I know of, have been stolen from my neighborhood.

This morning I received a message to check my camera's to see if anyone was on it around 1-3 am. Sure enough around 2:15 am a guy walks up to my car and tried to open the driver side door and then moved to the next house. His face was fully covered with a mask and had gloves on. Even if my camera's did capture anything it would have been useless. There were also 3 of them. 2 across the street. If I was awake and I went out there I would probably have 3 people jumping on me and that is if you don't get shot first.

I am more worried about it escalating and getting into the houses. For the first time in my life I am actually considering a gun. I have never even held a gun but this is what it's coming to.

I have Hikvision camera's that are good but pretty useless at night to really identify anything. They are supposed to be motion activated but things such as bugs and headlights are constantly causing motion trips. Do they make perimeter alert systems? Maybe some invisible barrier so if someone breaks the barrier in the middle of the night I can get alerted. Would seem there would be less of a chance of false alarms, except for maybe critters and such, than motion activation on the camera's.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
I feel your pain. My cameras are really mainly for forensic purposes at this point. I use all IP cameras so I can send one of the streams to a small inexpensive android tablet loaded with the “IP Cam Viewer” app. The tablet sits next to my large TV where I can see my driveway, but I’ve missed the neighborhood brown bear on too many occasions due to TV distraction, so again a motion sensor to detect motion and alert is essential. A inexpensive outdoor sensor is the “Driveway Patrol”, I think it can be found at Harbor Freight, the con is it has a very limited distance between the sensor and the indoor audible/light unit, it may work for some. If you do get it to work you can always add a low current relay to trigger your NVR video system (must have input capabilities) for the higher frame rate recording. The outdoor environment causes the most disturbance to any video system using pixel changes as its detection. I’m a security professional, even I can’t afford the products I sell, they’re very high end and expensive, but prices have drastically come down to the DYI market. A high megapixel camera is essential for the high pixels required when distance is an issue. The questions is do want to detect or recognize a person. Use a distance calculator for the megapixel requirements, again risk vs price will determine your selection. A true LPR camera must match the software in order to capture fast, low light images against blinding headlights, a true LPR system can work, make sure you do your research and verify system specs. Some true LPR systems can verify license plates against law enforcement databases.

To reach your camera, there’s burial network cable available for your POE IP camera, but yes securing the camera from theft is essential, most cameras come with torx security screws, my preference are the spanner screws, torx screws are easily defeated.
My number one advice is to purchase a monitored home alarm system, perimeter cameras 2nd, and as a last line of defenseI use my trusty Beretta hand gun with bird shot first, then hollow point as the second round to stop the threat (always take yearly classes).
Security is about layering and creating overt and covert layers. Using your physical house as one of the perimeter layers is easy with wireless sensors. The Honeywell 5800 wireless series integrate with many alarm panels. One of the optional accessories is a outdoor motion sensor, plus wireless contacts that you could create trip wires. Or a 3rd party solar beams with a 5800 transmitter to send the signal to the panel. Use the panels output to then trip the video system to increase the frame rate upon the alarm event. And yes, set your video recorder to 24/7 at a low frame rate until an alarm event bumps it up to a higher resolution frame rate. But most importantly is to start with simple overt layers; Neighbor Watch sign at both ends of your street; home yard sign; motion detection lights will create your first two layers, etc.... Hope I’ve been able to help someone. Sorry for the ramble, I love catching thieves instead of the blowing leaves, lol! Good luck all.

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mark_whocares

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Get a compound crossbow or bow instead if you're considering home and personal defence, they make less noise and with practice or experience of course can be non lethal (crippling).

And how many folks will walk into a Hospital with a Bolt or Arrow injury? It can make things a lot easier to sort out.
the mental gymnastics of this post are astounding. the number of false assertions and fundamentally flawed thinking displayed here in such few words is impressive.
promoting the idea that you should try and cripple someone first , as a plan/goal, is legally dubious in all jurisdictions I know of. To say nothing of it practically speaking being very counter productive to keeping you alive and unharmed/less harmed. the only accurate thing you said was that a bow and arrow will make noise.

to anyone else seriously considering the possible need to use potentially lethal force when defending their person ; go find a forum dedicated to self defense and I am sure you will be able to find threads on why a bow and arrow is a far worse choice than a modern firearm. you will also find legal and practical answers on why aiming to cripple or wound is a terrible idea.

notta

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses everyone. Some really great info here.

This is great. Exactly the idea I was looking for. Told my brother about it that lives in the same neighborhood and he is very interested. What can you expect out of battery life? Year? Any way to hook this into an Insteon or Alexa system? Would love to get a text or email when something trips a specific sensor. Natively it doesn't seem to support this functionality.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I change batteries each year but have yet to have one go dead.

Over my head connecting it to another system but I found this;:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses everyone. Some really great info here.

This is great. Exactly the idea I was looking for. Told my brother about it that lives in the same neighborhood and he is very interested. What can you expect out of battery life? Year? Any way to hook this into an Insteon or Alexa system? Would love to get a text or email when something trips a specific sensor. Natively it doesn't seem to support this functionality.
More details on the Guardline website as well.

R L

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Put a 4 or 5 foot wire fence around your property. Load with 2 100+ lb dogs. Lock your car and keep any valuables out of sight. Problem solved. And you'll have 2 companions for life, not watching grass grow with 40 TB of useless data.

I feel like something mounted near that bush would give you a dramatically better LPR angle, possibly look at direct-burial of a cable with some post or something to mount the camera's to. You could bury it next to your sidewalk & driveway to minimize impact to your yard?

John V

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What cam are you using? What kind of range are you dealing with?