Are Shipping costs from China to the US going to rise this fall?

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
This story It's Official, No More Cheap Shipping For Chinese Sellers made the top of Hackers News this week No More Cheap Shipping for Chinese Sellers | Hacker News

Excerpt:

"The administration has given the UPU an ultimatum, that they: either allow the USPS to set rates for China mail that arrives in the U.S., or the U.S. will officially leave the UPU on October 17th.

Either way, this means as of October 17, no more cheap Chinese shipping."

Can anyone here confirm? Any color on what impact this might have? @EMPIRETECANDY ?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This story It's Official, No More Cheap Shipping For Chinese Sellers made the top of Hackers News this week No More Cheap Shipping for Chinese Sellers | Hacker News

Excerpt:

"The administration has given the UPU an ultimatum, that they: either allow the USPS to set rates for China mail that arrives in the U.S., or the U.S. will officially leave the UPU on October 17th.

Can anyone here confirm? Any color on what impact this might have? @EMPIRETECANDY ?
Surprised this has not yet happened... I would expect this to happen if China does not come back and make a deal with Trump, election season is coming up quickly.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score

Excerpt:

USPS price already increased this year as i know. Tomorrow i will check if they have further news. The cheap slow way destroyed local retails,this is the same everywhere in the world, even in China too.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI - recent news

"The UN agency linking postal systems worldwide has agreed to reform its fee structure under a proposal by the United States that averted the Trump administration’s threat to leave the global network but may mean many consumers pay more.

The compromise deal was agreed by consensus on Wednesday at the Universal Postal Union’s emergency congress after two days of talks, with delegates standing to applaud.

The Trump administration served notice last October that it would leave in 12 months unless fee rates were changed so that importing countries did not lose money from distributing mail and packages from countries including China in the age of e-commerce.

.. "

Ref: Global postal union reaches deal to prevent 'nightmare' of US exit

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
So bottom line based on the agreement yesterday, yes, the declared prices for incoming packages from China will increase (likely substantially) over the next 5 years.

That's good or bad depending on how you look at it.

Reaction score
There was never cheap shipping lol. This for sure will happen this year and the coming years because of the pandemic going on right now. The cheap slow way destroyed local retails,this is the same everywhere in the world, even in China too. The White House wants to put an end to low-cost shipping from overseas, a move widely supported among U.S. e-commerce sellers.

Source: BRI customs clearance services

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
USPS could be out of business by the end of the Summer this year. Raising shipping costs is the only way to keep these logistical companies afloat.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I think there is also a crackdown now on cheap shipping methods like EMS, China Post, and e-Packet. Apparently, its hurting the logistical side of things especially on USPS's end. Media will always be late to the coverage. Here's is report from earlier this month.

This shipping differential is the product of the U.S. government subsidizing Chinese shipments. The government estimates USPS delivers Chinese goods at a 40% to 70% discount, losing money on each package it delivers.

DHL,FEDEX, UPS raised 150% on the shipping cost from Asia to US, those guys can earn very good money! Time to buy their stocks.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I think there is also a crackdown now on cheap shipping methods like EMS, China Post, and e-Packet. Apparently, its hurting the logistical side of things especially on USPS's end. Media will always be late to the coverage. Here's is report from earlier this month.

USPS i shipped some shipment in March.12th, right now still not know where they are at. I am thinking they lost somewhere.
DHL right now need 10days+ ship to US. Crazy thing, i ship some shipment to US, right now they have to fly to Germany and then to US. :headbang:

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Right now HK has hundreds planes of goods waiting to ship to US, very bad situation, cost big delay. So we have to ship the goods to Singapore and Malaysia and then ship to the US and Europe,
USPS i think sto to US need 2 months now, to South America or Africa need 3 months+

1587652292825.png

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Right on Andy. My camera has been sitting in the Hong Kong area since April 10th and I am not alone. Looks like a huge backlog. Still there as of this morning. From some reports the humanitarian shipments get priority. By the way I am in the DHL Long Beach, Ca service area.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Right on Andy. My camera has been sitting in the Hong Kong area since April 10th and I am not alone. Looks like a huge backlog. Still there as of this morning. From some reports the humanitarian shipments get priority. By the way I am in the DHL Long Beach, Ca service area.
The shipment released by the customs 4 days ago, they are checking all goods very carefully now. Some guys hide masks in normal products.
I think they can be updated very soon this week.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you for the update Andy. You have better information than I am getting. DHL has not updated there tracking information for two weeks. Usually they will say it is with customs or something along that line. So hopefully there will be some movement next week. ;)

Imagine that, people putting masks in regular shipments. :)

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
The masks are good for insulating as well as packing material :D

The shipment released by the customs 4 days ago, they are checking all goods very carefully now. Some guys hide masks in normal products.
I think they can be updated very soon this week.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Thank you for the update Andy. You have better information than I am getting. DHL has not updated there tracking information for two weeks. Usually they will say it is with customs or something along that line. So hopefully there will be some movement next week. ;)

Imagine that, people putting masks in regular shipments. :)
Your camera is moving :cool: Tuesday can be delivered i think.