Are there any higher-zoom turret cameras yet?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
My IPC-HFW5231E-Z5 bullet managed to get a little moisture into the camera body. A few days ago an icicle formed on the front and I suspect this somehow channeled water to a weak point in the waterproofing because right now there is condensation inside the glass directly in front of the lens. The other day it was even messing with the light sensor somehow, causing the camera to be stuck in color mode unless toggled manually (it has since recovered and switches on its own normally). I don't know if water was shorting out the sensor or just reflecting light some funny way to trick it into thinking it was day when it was actually night.

Anyway, most of my other cams are turrets or much smaller bullets that don't stick out as far. This Z5 bullet sticks out enough that it catches a lot more drips off the garage roof. I set this Z5 around 21mm or so. Unfortunately I haven't found any more compact options with this level of zoom. The common varifocal turret isn't enough, maxing out at around 12mm.

Anyone know of a higher-zoom Dahua starlight turret model that I might have missed, or that might be in the pipeline?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My IPC-HFW5231E-Z5 bullet managed to get a little moisture into the camera body. A few days ago an icicle formed on the front and I suspect this somehow channeled water to a weak point in the waterproofing because right now there is condensation inside the glass directly in front of the lens. The other day it was even messing with the light sensor somehow, causing the camera to be stuck in color mode unless toggled manually (it has since recovered and switches on its own normally). I don't know if water was shorting out the sensor or just reflecting light some funny way to trick it into thinking it was day when it was actually night.

Anyway, most of my other cams are turrets or much smaller bullets that don't stick out as far. This Z5 bullet sticks out enough that it catches a lot more drips off the garage roof. I set this Z5 around 21mm or so. Unfortunately I haven't found any more compact options with this level of zoom. The common varifocal turret isn't enough, maxing out at around 12mm.

Anyone know of a higher-zoom Dahua starlight turret model that I might have missed, or that might be in the pipeline?
Hi Mike,

I have not seen any yet.

Why not hack a better shield for the camera to keep water off of it?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm Brian, not Mike. :)

I probably will end up hacking something together, or at least running a bead of silicone between the top hood and the camera body to keep water from running down between them.

Trouble is this camera faces a little bit upward whereas they probably expected the cameras to face a little downward, so water runs in ways they didn't necessarily expect.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm Brian, not Mike. :)

I probably will end up hacking something together, or at least running a bead of silicone between the top hood and the camera body to keep water from running down between them.

Trouble is this camera faces a little bit upward whereas they probably expected the cameras to face a little downward, so water runs in ways they didn't necessarily expect.
LOL - sorry Brian.. responding too quickly right now.

Hmmm... maybe a bead on the back end of the camera to direct water away from the tail of that camera?

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
How about a simple rain/drip shield Brian. Just a piece of flashing, painted, would do the trick or get fancy and do a little aluminum "dam" up on the roof to prevent the dripping. I've got a 2231R-Z mounted vertically on a tree and I've got to do the same thing. Every time it rains and the wind is out of the east I end up with blurry video until the storm is over.