Are there any tools out there that can help me identify what lens will cover the exact area I want?

luder888

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Let's say I want to buy a fixed lens camera that can cover a particular section outside my house. I want it to be very specific like from edge to edge of my property lines, very minimal to no skies. What tool can I use so I know exactly what lens characters to look for when shopping for a camera? Or is this mostly just trial and error? I've purchased cameras in the past and only to find out they gave me either way more or way less coverage than I needed.

I want a camera that are wide enough to cover what I need but not spill over into my neighbor's yard. There's also a narrow area that I need to cover and I don't want to get one that's too wide and see walls on both sides, or one that's too narrow and can't cover what I need.

Are there phone apps out there that can use your phone's FOV as a baseline so you can just snap a picture, draw the area that you want covered and it'll calculate for you exactly what FOV/Focal Length/Aspect Ratio you need? Or do I just need to measure the angle myself the old fashion way like sticking my arms out, etc.?

Last edited:

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Finally a chance to show off my FOV tools! Even if this worked perfectly, however, I've found that the published FOV specs are somewhat approximate. If you want to be exact, the only way is to try the actual camera, or as suggested, go with a varifocal.
cardboard (Small).jpg