Are these cameras not made for outside?

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have a DS-2CD2342WD camera. It is positioned under and eve up against the garage in a pretty sheltered place. We had rain last night and now there is water in the lens and it is blurring the view. I can see the water in the lens when I look at it. What kind of crappy camera did I buy? It is less than a year old. I thought these things were made for outdoor use??????? What can I do about it??

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a DS-2CD2342WD camera. It is positioned under and eve up against the garage in a pretty sheltered place. We had rain last night and now there is water in the lens and it is blurring the view. I can see the water in the lens when I look at it. What kind of crappy camera did I buy? It is less than a year old. I thought these things were made for outdoor use??????? What can I do about it??
the camera is either defective or your improperly installed it...ill bet the latter based on your post. Are you certain its inside and not on the outside?
fyi there are much better cameras in that price range.

Last edited:

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes, I know. I have the Dahua cameras that you recommended and they are all fine. This one I purchased before I found this forum. No, it is not IMPROPERLY installed. How can a person not properly install a camera?
It is on the inside as I went to wipe it off and I can see it on the inside.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I know. I have the Dahua cameras that you recommended and they are all fine. This one I purchased before I found this forum. No, it is not IMPROPERLY installed. How can a person not properly install a camera?
It is on the inside as I went to wipe it off and I can see it on the inside.
there are many ways to improperly install a camera - just one example is running the cable on the exterior and not using a drip loop. Sometimes though cameras are defective and water gets inside...take it down, dry it, replace the desiccant packet and tighten the screws.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Nope. No cables on the outside. Totally sealed. No water coming from the underhang could have dripped water to the cam. I'm trying to send a pic but have to figure it out on this site.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You see, it is pretty sheltered from the elements. The rain may have been blown onto the cam from wind but there is no way water got into the cam from anywhere other than the cam itself.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You see, it is pretty sheltered from the elements. The rain may have been blown onto the cam from wind but there is no way water got into the cam from anywhere other than the cam itself.
then its defective and you need to do what I said in the earlier post.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Kill power to it until you can take it down. Take it apart indoors, and let it dry for at least 24hrs. If the seals are bad, a little RTV silicone can fix it up when you re-install.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Since I hadn't opened it up yet I didn't know if there was a special size I needed or not. If I can dry them and reuse them, I'll do that but my question really is, how can I keep rain from getting in there again??? This should not happen. I may dry it out and sell it on ebay.
Also, are you (either fenderman or looney2ns) still recommending the Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z that you did earlier or has something new come in that you like better?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Since I hadn't opened it up yet I didn't know if there was a special size I needed or not. If I can dry them and reuse them, I'll do that but my question really is, how can I keep rain from getting in there again??? This should not happen. I may dry it out and sell it on ebay.
Also, are you (either fenderman or looney2ns) still recommending the Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z that you did earlier or has something new come in that you like better?
This is an anomaly and the same can happen on the dahua - there is even a thread where it happen to another user...its likely a defect in the way the camera was sealed at the factory...