are these good specs for a PC to run Blue Iris?

RWDM3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
CPU I7-4790 3.6Ghz Ram 8GB Video Card runs 2 monitors (AMD R7 200 2GB) 1TB Harddrive 300W Power Supply

plan on running ~ 16 cameras to start

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That should be fine. Follow advice in this guide: Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage

Depending on the resolution and frame rate of the cameras, you may need to use sub streams.

Also, if you don't need the video outputs provided by the graphics card, you could save some energy by taking it out of the PC. That CPU has built-in graphics which is more energy-efficient in most cases.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have an HP computer running the same processor. I junked the 1 TB drive. Added a 120 GB SSD and a 4 TB WD purple drive for video storage. I have 16 GB memory on two sticks. The computer does not have an HDMI output, So i have a cheap NVIDIA Geforce 710 for my monitor and use the intel quicksync for by BI processing. I am currently running 20+ cameras, but only one of them is 4MP, all the rest are 2MP, only 8 cameras have BI motion processing, all cameras are at 12-15 fps, It is running at 20% cpu and 7 GB memory for the complete system, with the BI Display up.

My system is a tower. I paid Less than $200 in November 2019, for the system without the 120 GB SSD and a 4 TB drive

If the 16 cameras are 4MP or 4K at 30 fps and all are doing motion detection in BI, then you will need substreams. Or get a better system.

Last edited:

RWDM3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
so let's say 16 4mp cams that I wanna view live at same time
what kind of cpu / ram should I be looking at (and even thinking of future. 25 cameras)

so video card doesn't matter ?
just ram and cpu most important?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Assuming a good quality recording at 15 fps for at 4MP , with h.265 that would be about 600kB/sec per camera. That is around 80 MP/sec per camera. Or 2000 MP/s for 25 cameras . If you have a lot of motion (clouds, trees, grass, wind ...) that number goes up, if there is a lot of color variation the number goes up.

As said the CPU depends on the amount and type of processing. If you are doing motion detection on each camera, then a much bigger CPU. If only doing motion detection on a few cameras with sub streams then a smaller CPU. If you are running a lot of displays around the house then a bigger CPU.

Look at Blue Iris Update Helper
compare CPU: PassMark - CPU Benchmarks - CPU Mega Page - Detailed List of Benchmarked CPUs

i beleive middle of the road is an I7-8700 @3.2GHz. 16GB memory, 120+SSD , a 8TB purple drive to start for a 16 to 25 cameras system. Make sure you have a larger case to add more drives.

Always check the passamark rating on the CPU.

RWDM3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Assuming a good quality recording at 15 fps for at 4MP , with h.265 that would be about 600kB/sec per camera. That is around 80 MP/sec per camera. Or 2000 MP/s for 25 cameras . If you have a lot of motion (clouds, trees, grass, wind ...) that number goes up, if there is a lot of color variation the number goes up.

As said the CPU depends on the amount and type of processing. If you are doing motion detection on each camera, then a much bigger CPU. If only doing motion detection on a few cameras with sub streams then a smaller CPU. If you are running a lot of displays around the house then a bigger CPU.

Look at Blue Iris Update Helper
compare CPU: PassMark - CPU Benchmarks - CPU Mega Page - Detailed List of Benchmarked CPUs

i beleive middle of the road is an I7-8700 @3.2GHz. 16GB memory, 120+SSD , a 8TB purple drive to start for a 16 to 25 cameras system. Make sure you have a larger case to add more drives.

Always check the passamark rating on the CPU.
ty for your help. what kind of benchmark or higher would be needed ? 13K or higher?
video card doesnt matter right ?

Reaction score
You can offload some of the processing to a video card. BI supports Nvidia. However, a lot of folks here state that a video card is not necessary and is a waste of power.

RWDM3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
here is what i was thinking

Case - Basic
CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 3600
PS - not sure what requirement i would be looking at , is it worth it to get a EVGA80 +gold? or a basic one is ok (i figured since its running 24-7 maybe it would be better to get one that conserves power)
GPU - is it worth it to get a better one ? RX580 8gb ?
MOTHERBOARD - just get a B450? (not sure what model would be recommended) - i assume i dont need to go hardcore on the motherboard?
RAM - 2x8GB - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB
HD - SSD as primary (should i go with a samsung or just a cheap SSD) , then a WD Purple for secondary

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That CPU is ok, but Intel have built in Video processing QuickSync which can be used for video process. I do not known much about AMD and a video card other than the systems seem to use more power. Remember that this system runs 24/7/365.

I use samsung evo 120 GB SSD. I have used a cheaper model and it failed after about 6 months. The headache of a failed device is not worth the cost saving.

Reaction score
I've been very happy with this HP EliteDesk 800 g2 I7-6700.
Great CPU, but only room for one HD.
I installed the OS and BI on an m.2 SSD on a PCI expansion card.
I have an 8TB WD White (shucked) for video storage.

RWDM3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
if Intel is better what cpu do you guys recommend ?