Are these rebranded Hiks?

Stealth22

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I just discovered this 2 pack of domes on Costco's website. I can't seem to find a model number though, so no way to tell if they are just re-branded Hiks.

Has anyone seen these before?

Costco.ca -- http://www.costco.ca/Swann-3MP-Fixed-Lens-Dome-Camera---2-pack.product.100235617.html

Costco USA (Appears to be the US equivalent?) -- http://www.costco.com/Swann-3MP-HD-IP-Add-on-Dome-Camera-2-pack.product.100238794.html
Could be but you could get three of these I really like these and are Hikvision plus no taxes , I have three of them in my house with sound:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Hikvision-DS-2CD2132-I-3MP-Mini-Dome-Camera-Full-HD-1080P-POE-Power-Network-IP66-Indoor/319147_1871393655.html

Stealth22

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Could be but you could get three of these I really like these and are Hikvision plus no taxes , I have three of them in my house with sound:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Hikvision-DS-2CD2132-I-3MP-Mini-Dome-Camera-Full-HD-1080P-POE-Power-Network-IP66-Indoor/319147_1871393655.html
I'd prefer to get something with warranty and US firmware, but thanks anyway.
@nayr, have you seen these cams before? They'd be cheaper than going through Nelly's for me, that's why I'm wondering. But I couldn't seem to find out if they're compatible with BlueIris.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd prefer to get something with warranty and US firmware, but thanks anyway.
@nayr, have you seen these cams before? They'd be cheaper than going through Nelly's for me, that's why I'm wondering. But I couldn't seem to find out if they're compatible with BlueIris.
Yes, they are rebranded hikvisions and any camera with rtsp stream works with blue iris.
Note that domes have to be properly mounted and installed or you will get ir reflection (looks like fog in the image) at night.

Stealth22

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, they are rebranded hikvisions and any camera with rtsp stream works with blue iris.
Note that domes have to be properly mounted and installed or you will get ir reflection (looks like fog in the image) at night.
Awesome, thanks, @fenderman!

I've already ordered my PoE switch, lol. I think I might give these cams from Costco a shot. Costco will take just about anything back without any hassle, so I think its worth buying them, only opening one pack, and plugging it in just to see if it works. If it does, I can open the rest...if for whatever reason, they don't work or I don't like them, they can just go back, and I order cameras from Nelly's.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks, @fenderman!

I've already ordered my PoE switch, lol. I think I might give these cams from Costco a shot. Costco will take just about anything back without any hassle, so I think its worth buying them, only opening one pack, and plugging it in just to see if it works. If it does, I can open the rest...if for whatever reason, they don't work or I don't like them, they can just go back, and I order cameras from Nelly's.
You will be better off with the turret design (2mp or 4mp) that costco doesnt offer.

Stealth22

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You will be better off with the turret design (2mp or 4mp) that costco doesnt offer.
Where can I get them? Nelly's only seems to have them in the 4MP variety. They're out of stock (although I was told they should be in soon) at the moment, but they are a bit of a price jump at $165, especially after factoring in currency exchange for me. I'd prefer to have something with a warranty and US firmware.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Where can I get them? Nelly's only seems to have them in the 4MP variety. They're out of stock (although I was told they should be in soon) at the moment, but they are a bit of a price jump at $165, especially after factoring in currency exchange for me. I'd prefer to have something with a warranty and US firmware.
See the milkisbad thread.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah the problem with those domes are if you try to mount the sensor the way the image is shown you see alot of the IR is blocked by the housing, and that bleeds into the image reflecting through the plastic.. the night image will be total crap until you point the camera away from its base.. those work really well wall mounted at head height, they can look straight out and have some protection against vandals since they are low and obvious.. other than that I struggle to think of many other good spots for em.

those work well when they are looking straight down from as pictured, and still need some work to prevent IR from bleeding in too much.. but as shown in that image, would suck.. if your view is going to be under 60 degrees from the wall/celling your probably better off with a turret, or even a bullet in most cases.

Stealth22

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
yeah the problem with those domes are if you try to mount the sensor the way the image is shown you see alot of the IR is blocked by the housing, and that bleeds into the image reflecting through the plastic.. the night image will be total crap until you point the camera away from its base.. those work really well wall mounted at head height, they can look straight out and have some protection against vandals since they are so low.

those work well when they are looking straight down from as pictured, and still need some work to prevent IR from bleeding in too much.. but as shown in that image, would suck.. if your view is going to be under 60 degrees from the wall/celing your probably better off with a turret in most cases.
That's a great point...good thing I haven't ordered any cameras yet!!

Will I have the same problem with the Hikvision domes that Nelly's sells?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
more than likely yes, look at the LED design.. Turrets often have one big IR LED that you can position on the far side away from the nearest surface.. domes often have a ring surrounding it that limit its actual install range... domes also age badly outside in contact with UV, they have plastic lens covers.. turrets/bullets have glass ones and wont compromise the image as they age.

Stealth22

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
more than likely yes, look at the LED design.. Turrets often have one big IR LED that you can position on the far side away from the nearest surface.. domes often have a ring surrounding it that limit its actual install range... domes also age badly outside in contact with UV, they have plastic lens covers.. turrets/bullets have glass ones and wont compromise the image as they age.
Thanks for all the advice.

It appears to me that the Hikvision domes are a bit better in that respect. If they're as pictured, there's nothing blocking the IR like there is with the Costco ones. That being said, the domes will still have IR reflection issues if they don't get mounted properly.

I'm probably going to go with a mix of turrets and domes, maybe even a bullet or two.

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
yeah the problem with those domes are if you try to mount the sensor the way the image is shown you see alot of the IR is blocked by the housing, and that bleeds into the image reflecting through the plastic.. the night image will be total crap until you point the camera away from its base.. those work really well wall mounted at head height, they can look straight out and have some protection against vandals since they are low and obvious.. other than that I struggle to think of many other good spots for em.

those work well when they are looking straight down from as pictured, and still need some work to prevent IR from bleeding in too much.. but as shown in that image, would suck.. if your view is going to be under 60 degrees from the wall/celling your probably better off with a turret, or even a bullet in most cases.
I'm having this problem with a Hikvision 3mp dome. I needed coverage in a fairly large living area so I've got the camera angled at about 30 degrees away from the ceiling. Getting lots of "fog" when using the IR.

Would I get the same effect from the 2CD2542 mini dome? The case looks like it is tilted a little. I guess one other solution would be to disable the IR and go with a small IR illuminator away from the camera.
[h=1][/h]

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if you were willing to go with a 2.8mm then yeah it could work, perhaps.. would depend on how it had to be installed.. those are still vertical wall mount imho, but looking down a bit.