Are Unify cameras good?

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is sold by Andy @EMPIRETECANDY here.

Loryta and Empiretech are Dahua OEM sold by Andy. Some of my cameras I have bought from Andy from his Amazon store come as Dahua cams in Dahua boxes with Dahua logos, and some are not logo'd - I think it depends on how many cameras Andy buys if he gets them with the Dahua Logo or not. But regardless, they are Dahua cams. If you get a camera that has Dahua on it, then the camera GUI will say Dahua; otherwise it will simply say IP Camera but looks identical except without the logo.

You can update the firmware on Andy's cameras from the Dahua website, thus proving they are real Dahua. But you will find that the firmware we get from him is actually better because many members here provide feedback to Andy and then Dahua makes modifications to the firmware and sends back to him and then he sends out to his customers. These have been great improvements that Dahua doesn't even update their firmware and add to their website. So many of us are running a newer firmware than those that purchase Dahua cameras through professional installers. Smart IR on the 5442 series is one such improvement. Autotracking on the 49225 PTZ is another. We got the next version of AI SMD 3.0 prior to anyone else as well.

Andy has great customer service as well.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Awesome! Will definitely go through Andy. Trying to find the correct camera on Amazon from him now

Reaction score
Sorry guys, but how has a thread asking for opinions of Unify kit, gone to one advising on how to buy Dahua cameras from some guy called Andy. I’m sure Andy is a really nice guy, but not relevant in this thread

what I’m hearing is that Unify kit is considered expensive proprietary equipment that may not be at the cutting edge of camera technology.

The similarities with Apple kit is reasonable....Apple kit often isn’t at the cutting edge of what’s on the market, but they are targeting people who don’t really care about the latest tech, want stuff that generally just works without problems (obviously that’s not always the case) and is easy to use.

I work with pc’s but am all in Apple at home. The crunch came over 10 years ago when I just got sick and tired of spending so much time “administrating” my Windows laptop every time I used it, updates etc. Jumped to Apple and never looked back.

Yes, it’s expensive but I do think it is well built....my mbp is from 2009 and my iMac is from 2011, both still going strong for general stuff. Admittedly, long in the tooth but I doubt an almost 12yr old Windows laptop would be as useable.

So it sounds like I might be one of the minority who this eco-system model appeals to.

I want a plug and play setup that works to an acceptable level that is easy and intuitive to use and doesn’t need an in depth knowledge of the whole technology to get decent results.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Plug and play in the video world is "plug and pray". Every system is different. Every camera location is different. Each system and each camera needs to be tuned, adjusted, to produce the best video and that means for both day, color, and night, black and white. Anyone who tells you differently is looking to raid your wallet. I've had cameras up for more than a few years and I still find myself making minor tweaks to get the best possible performance from them.

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I seriously considered Unify and then I found this place and did my research. All my research led me to Dahua and Blue Iris. Further research led me to Empire Tech (AKA Andy) which allowed me to purchase Dahua private branded (Loryta/Empire Tech) for less.

Another con against Unify is a very limited selection of cameras to meet your needs. Dahua on the other hand has an extensive lineup, whatever you need, there is a very high probability they make something to fit your need.

Last edited:

rocky500

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I thought they were dropping support for the cameras? Or is only some models?

spuls

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I thought they were dropping support for the cameras? Or is only some models?

unifi video is the predecessor of unifi protect. this is about remote access to your nvr via unifi cloud with a 7 years old nvr setup.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Well the Appel comparison breaks down because while I can't stand Apple and their methods, I have to admit they make a very capable computer and cell phone. The Ubiquity cameras on the other hand are definitely second rate at best. Sure they might be "plug and play" but if that comes at the cost of usable footage, what is the point?

The standard that people need to have in mind when installing cameras is to have clear enough footage to identify a stranger in the worst of conditions. Most systems fail that this (and I think the Ubiquity cameras will as well) and you are left with "knowing someone is in the image" but not actually being able to identify them. This footage is going to be worthless in a situation where law enforcement involvement is required which is usually the reason people want cameras installed in the first place.

spuls

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The cheapest poe camera from ubnt (g3-flex with 1080p), provides a better image at night than a dahua 2431T-AS-S2 (4k) what can buy for comparable costs from andy. In daytime dahua is better, simple because of the higher resolution and quite nice picture for a 1/3 sensor.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You cannot compare two different resolutions that on the same size sensor.... of course the lower MP outperformed the higher MP at night - the lower MP will almost always outperform a higher MP on the same sensor at night because the higher MP camera needs more light.

When we had a thief come thru here and get into a lot of cars, the police couldn't use one video or photo from anyone's system but mine. Not even my other neighbors $1,300 4k system provided useful info - the cams just didn't cut it at night. His system wasn't even a year old and after that event has started replacing with cameras purchased from Andy based on my recommendation and seeing my results. He is still shocked a 2MP camera performs better than his 4k cameras... It is all about the amount of light needed and getting the right camera for the right location.

It is simple LOL do not chase MP - do not buy a 4MP camera that is anything other than a 1/1.8" sensor. Do not buy a 2MP camera that is anything other than a 1/2.8" sensor. Most 4k are on the same sensor as a 2MP and thus the 2MP will kick its butt all night long as the 4k will need 4 times the light than the 2MP... 4k will do very poor at night unless you have stadium quality lighting (well a lot of lighting LOL).

Last edited:

spuls

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You cannot compare two different resolutions that on the same size sensor.... of course the lower MP outperformed the higher MP at night - the lower MP will almost always outperform a higher MP on the same sensor at night because the higher MP camera needs more light.
you can and should compare them. in the end you want a readable plate or good enough picture of faces and other body details. law enforcement or insurance company´s do NOT care about sensor size and MP, they only care about results.

It is simple LOL do not chase MP - do not buy a 4MP camera that is anything other than a 1/1.8" sensor. Do not buy a 2MP camera that is anything other than a 1/2.8" sensor. Most 4k are on the same sensor as a 2MP and thus the 2MP will kick its butt all night long as the 4k will need 4 times the light than the 2MP... 4k will do very poor at night unless you have stadium quality lighting (well a lot of lighting LOL).
thats why we have a "darkroom" for our customers.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Most here that run LPR cameras use 2MP cameras, more than enough resolution for LPR both day and night. The sticky part is that an 4MP 1/3" sensor is basically blind at night, even with IR and an 8MP is twice as bad. Comparing different resolutions and sensors against one another is a nice exercise, but actually doesn't compare equal capabilities.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you can and should compare them. in the end you want a readable plate or good enough picture of faces and other body details. law enforcement or insurance company´s do NOT care about sensor size and MP, they only care about results.
My 2MP kicked my neighbors 4K butt....you missed the entire point of the post about comparing different resolutions on the same sensor as that is obvious what the outcome will be...just like a 4K camera on a 1/1.2 inch sensor will kick the 2MP on a 1/3 sensor...but if 4k and 2MP are on the same 1/3 sensor, then the 2MP will usually win at night.

Please just go ahead and purchase these Unify cameras already and then post us the wonderful night videos with motion showing us clear images of faces and other body details and plates!

And the cameras you referenced, little piddly 2.8mm lenses won't capture plates unless the vehicle is right next to the camera, or you are not from the states and live in a country with big @$$ plates the size of a bumper...

Reaction score
To clarify....it wasn’t me talking about 4K vs 2mp etc.

I’m just reading the comments trying to learn.

I do have a question though about day/night image quality. I get that less pixels on a set size chip is better as each pixel is bigger and therefore gets more light, but what about daytime....is there a sweet spot for good day and night in one camera? Aperture size must come into play at some point?

Where I will put 2 of the cameras face onto my drive and there is a street light close....but that goes off at about 2am (cut backs....turn the lights off when it’s dark ) and then there is very little, practically no ambient light.

Taking my own thread off course now....what about the hikvision colorvu camera’s?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In most instances, you want to get a camera that will perform at your location for the worse situation, which for most of us is at night when it is dark and there is little to no light. If a camera performs at night, it is easier to tweak settings to make it work during the day than it is the other way around.

Do not be sold by some trademarked night color vision (Full Color, ColorVu, Starlight, etc.) that is a marketing ploy in a lot of ways lol. It is simply what a manufacturer wants to claim for low-light performance, but there are so many games that can be played even with the how they report the spec numbers. They will claim a low lux of 0.001 for example, but then that is with a wide open iris and a shutter at 1/3 second and an f1.0 - as soon as you have motion in it, it will be crap. You need a shutter of at minimum 1/60 second to reduce a lot of blur from someone walking.

All cameras need light. Simple physics.

Check out this video at midnight. You see this and it looks like daytime and be like WOW I want that camera. But any motion in the frame and it is crap and will be a ghost blur. You notice they do not show anything with motion. I can make all my cameras look like this at midnight with no other light, but we want good motion video, not still images video. This is a very nice cameras with enough light at night but do we have enough light? All cameras, regardless of what they are called, need light - either white light or infrared. Simple physics. If you know what to look for, you can see clues likely indicating motion will be a complete motion-blur ghost.

While this camera is not what we would call a consumer grade camera and this is a really good camera, it is these games that the consumer grade cameras of the world do to their camera to make it look good at night - but then a person walking by is a blur and people simply say well the camera isn't good at night. If you have the ability to change the settings, you can make it work. Just remember that every increase in shutter speed needs more light. So I can set mine to 1/250 second and eliminate blur at night, but then all that is visible is a 5 foot diameter around the camera IF I have enough light. And most of us find that the LED white light on these cameras are useless.

You can find reviews here of people that put them in dark settings with no light (like you would have at 2am) and then the ColorVu would be useless to you. And you cannot add IR light because the camera will not see it...

Here is a recent one where a member posted their situation and the poor quality of a ColorVu camera with no light:

Reaction score
Thankyou, that’s helpful.

Years ago (20?) I had a Canon digital camcorder (remember when tape was a recording medium!) and it had colour at low light....it’s exactly as you say, motion blur so bad due to slow shutter speed.

I saw the colorvu ones and thought technology had improved in those 20 years and watching videos online they look good....but now you mention it, I don’t think any of the videos I’ve seen show movement.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thankyou, that’s helpful.

Years ago (20?) I had a Canon digital camcorder (remember when tape was a recording medium!) and it had colour at low light....it’s exactly as you say, motion blur so bad due to slow shutter speed.

I saw the colorvu ones and thought technology had improved in those 20 years and watching videos online they look good....but now you mention it, I don’t think any of the videos I’ve seen show movement.
With almost any light, the ColorVu is a great camera, but it does need some light. Members here with streetlights have posted some incredible night video with motion.

I have a Full Color type camera and the LED light on it is a gimmick. It helps for a small diameter circle, but it is no different than going outside at pitch black and turning on your cell phone light - it is bright looking directly at the LED light, but it doesn't spread out and reach very far. Fortunately I have enough ambient light that I do not need the little piddly LED light on and it actually looks worse with it on. But with my floodlights on, it performs better than my other cameras when tested at the same location. But without some light, a camera with IR capability is the safer bet.

Reaction score
So I didn’t go ahead with the Unify camera’s, initially as I was waiting for a quote/advice from another company. That’s happening on Friday.

The first company who recommended the Unify equipment is based (the owner lives) on my street and he has that system.

When I asked if we could go up after dark and see the quality in low light (watching on his phone), he just sent me a static image which didn’t show movement.

Also, when I asked about upgrading one of the camera to the g4 pro, he said I should upgrade them all.....and that the 1TB nvr would record about 11 days footage of 4x 4K ....not sure about that and after the “upgrade all 4” comment, I’ve lost confidence in him.

The most interesting thing though, is that he has installed a new security light at the front of his house, brighter than the surface of the sun and it’s on ALL the time!!!! Suggests to me his camera need more light at night?

The company coming on Friday are the ones that installed our house alarm 20 years ago and about 10 years ago came and quoted for cctv but we didn’t do anything, so I will be interested in what they recommend regarding location of cameras and what equipment.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
WOW - sounds like his cameras do not perform at night. I can make a cheap $20 camera look like high noon at midnight as a static image LOL, but motion would be a complete blur.

I think the brighter than the sun light is a telling clue that the cameras suck at night! And some cameras, regardless of the amount of light, will still suck at night.

I have a cheapo overview cam and even 33,000 lumen coming off my house doesn't stop motion blur at night.

A quick and dirty assuming a bitrate of 8,000 and 15FPS shows that 1TB would get less than 3 days if recording 24/7....

Please keep us posted!