Argh.. I need help with choosing items for security camera system & recording device

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Keith you dont need to explain yourself, its your money spend it as you please. That said, 4k monitor is overkill, for a security system I doubt you could tell the difference in the image between the 4k and a solid ips monitor for 150. You can set up a VERY good system with 8 cams for well under 2000. The truth is the the IP cam technology gets better every year, so in 3 years from now you will probably want to change out your cams for something way better anyways.

Reaction score
Ok thanks for your help. I'm thinking a dedicated NVR or computer is the way to go and i'll stay away from the NAS.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm somewhat in the same boat, same aspirations as far as recording that number of cameras, having some flexible viewing & reviewing abilities.
Though with more of a value budget, carefully weighing options.

I've been going over the synology NAS specs several times of how many fps at what resolution they can handle, but it just doesn't look future proof enough. You pay a premium and are right at the edge of what the disk station can handle. Synology recommended I get their core i3 rack server for a few grand, empty! Then you look at what pc hardware & cpu power you can buy for the money. I think the NAS are just a step or two behind when it comes to power (too focussed on low power, thermal, compactness, ...) and while great multi-purpose devices, and I like synod's surveillance station; it costs a lot to dedicate a fast disk station to surveillance duty. The redundancy of all the recordings isn't important really. Doesn't have to be x drives in RAID whatever. Looking at the feed from an individual 1920x1080 camera in h264, it pegs around 1MB/s. It might max out at 2MB/s at higher settings (and maybe 3mb/s at full 3meg?) I still have to play around more. The critical things is just that it gets recorded. And many times simpler is better.

I agree that a 4k display would be a nice screen to monitor all the feeds simultaneously at a large resolution. I have it in mind as well. But, I would wait on a 4k display till the market matures a bit more. There's some issues driving them with current hardware, screens with only 30hz refresh rates, having to use two ports to drive one, compatibilities, ...

And, reality is that, imo (which is amateur and surveillance novice but some security knowledge), you don't need to see every detail in the mosaic. Just the overview is fine. I've got 4 3MP cams set to 1920x1080 up on a regular HD pc screen, in 2x2 or 4-up mosaic, and you can perfectly tell what is going on. The scaled down view of the HD is better than a lower quality sub-feed. Also is better than what we used to see as analog in mosaic on ordinary tv monitors. I have no doubt full hd would be fine for live viewing with 3x3 up. Of course one cannot read every single detail at a distance, but you get the view. Double click and it pops up full screen, if you 're behind your desk.

But again, the most important things is that when something happens, things get recorded in high detail. Then you can review in detail later what was recorded.

PS: I'm giving a fast intel nuc serious consideration. An older core2quad test pc I have is starting to complain with the 4 cams connected and I'd rather not have a tower pc sucking energy 24/7. I have enough vampire load as it is. And an OEM NVR where cams are plugged in directly isn't flexible enough installation wise where the nvr would be vs long retrofit runs to get the cables to the cams.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As an aside one good solution for a viewing monitor is one of these horizon 27" by lenovo http://outlet.lenovo.com/outlet_us/desktops/#/?page-index=1&page-size=100&facet-10=4&sort-criteria=1
they can be had for 650-700 when on sale in the outlet. They are "portable" and can run on battery if you need to temporally move them. The major benefit over android mini pc and a monitor is that because they are touch screens, its easy to tap on a cam to view full screen pinch zoom. You can also have them record as with lower image/frame rate settings as a backup to your main unit.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you, Fenderman.

This is how I love to learn something new or two every day ;)
Saw a propane torch with two nozzles and an all-in-one 27" I didn't know existed today :)

Pretty good specs on that lenovo. Right now I think I'm settling towards a loaded nuc. Started testing a core i7 with ivms tonight. Crossing fingers that'll turn out favorable, and I can dedicate an i5 nuc to handling nvr duty.

Last edited by a moderator: