Artifacts since enabling sub-stream

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
I went through and enabled sub-streams and changed a few other settings, but since then on my MOTION clips I have artifacts, the same 24/7 clips have no artifacts. The sub stream clip is fine, just the full res clip that has the issue

I think this rules out the camera and networking, as if it were the camera, it would be happening on the 24/7 clips too

Any ideas to check?

aesterling

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Any change if you disable Hardware Decode in cam settings?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I saw that on 1 camera as well.
IPC-T2431T-AS 3.6mm. Currently it has subs turned off. I'm not sure but it almost looks like it's getting caught switching from SUB to MAIN? Maybe I have to change pre trigger record time earlier or make time setting? not sure.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
The whole motion is the MAIN so I'm not sure why, but its odd its in the same plate every time

The live view is fine, 24/7 fine and Sub stream motion is fine, just the main motion thats bad. Really weird

I'll disable Decode and see, but thats not really a real fix

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I went through and enabled sub-streams and changed a few other settings, but since then on my MOTION clips I have artifacts, the same 24/7 clips have no artifacts. The sub stream clip is fine, just the full res clip that has the issue

I think this rules out the camera and networking, as if it were the camera, it would be happening on the 24/7 clips too

Any ideas to check?
5.3.7 was supposed to address this. What version are you on?

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
5.3.7.9, todays update. I updated after seeing the problem, thinking their could be a fix. I rebooted for good measure too

1609631767226.png

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes and no, I have a dummy monitor attached so it thinks it has a 1080p monitor

No issues this morning, I checked all the motion clips and they were fine, just after the changes it started

Should my clones for 247 be set like this with default on decode? Some were set to NO before and I changed them to default. Unsure if that could be an issue

1609631952692.png

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
It seems like 5.3.7.x has had its issues. I’m sticking with 5.3.6 for a while.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Have not heard back from support yet, going to just ramble incase anyone has the same issue

I tried upping the camera buffer to 30mb, no luck

Now I've upped the buffer to 100mb, and if disabled hardware acceleration on the cloned cameras, which doesn't seemed to have increased CPU. Will report back

I've noticed it always happens when cars drive past and it triggers motion, if multiple cars drive past in the same motion clip, only the first car will get the artifacts, movement can be as fast or slow as it wants and the 2nd, 3rd, 4th car etc are all fine

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Yep, since I'm doing record on motion on ALL cameras, this pretty much means sub-stream is a no go for me. Either way, I wasn't super happy with it since there is such a lag when clicking on the cameras in UI3 to get the current up to date image

It would switch to the high res image fast, but then take around a second to switch to the actual current feed, and not a stale image. On my front cameras this is especially an issue because I will often switch from one to the other when a car or someone goes past

I'm going to disable the sub-steams for now, I think it might be a little too soon for sub-streams, but I hope it gets better!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yep, since I'm doing record on motion on ALL cameras, this pretty much means sub-stream is a no go for me. Either way, I wasn't super happy with it since there is such a lag when clicking on the cameras in UI3 to get the current up to date image

It would switch to the high res image fast, but then take around a second to switch to the actual current feed, and not a stale image. On my front cameras this is especially an issue because I will often switch from one to the other when a car or someone goes past

I'm going to disable the sub-steams for now, I think it might be a little too soon for sub-streams, but I hope it gets better!
With respect to the lag what is your iFrame interval set at and what are your frame rates

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
FPS 15, iFrame is 15. I played with it all night last night, and no matter what I have set there is that second delay before I get the "new" image

If I click on the live feed and there is a person standing there and I click off, then 5 minutes later click on the feed again when they are gone, it goes:

Low res feed for a split second (up to date) > High res feed stands for around a full second (Old stale image with them standing there) > New up to date feed with no one standing there

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Confirmed, with sub-stream disabled the artifacts are there, and as soon as I turn them off the whole video gets smoother too

If I turn them on, it becomes a bit of a mess

I did think this could be a recording issue, I'm recording to 4 random old 4TB disks, later on I might grab a spare Intel 800GB SSD and throw it in there and configure it to record to that just to check

Weirdly, CPU usage is nice and low now anyway, not the 5-9% I was getting before, but around 17% which is better than the 25-30% I was getting before. I still have one camera (2PM@30FPS) set to sub-stream, that is my LPR which is only recorded 247 with no motion. But I wonder if the latest Blue Iris updates optimized some things?