Asking for assistance with reducing sunlight/shadow false positive (video included)

Palmpilot

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

My entire BI camera set goes crazy when clouds pass-by or when strong winds move trees that create moving shadow patterns on the ground (I am filtering the trees using motion zones).

I attached a sample video (the trees should not be the issue as they are outside of the zone, it is really the ground shadows) and screen capture of my BI settings for this particular camera.

Any ideas/tips will be greatly appreciated!

Video:
Thanks!
PP.

MotionTriggerSettings.png

ObjectDetectionSettings.png

EditMotionZones.png

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Re: Asking for assistance with reducing sunlight/shadow false positive (video include

Your 2.5 make time will cause you to miss tons of valid motion alerts..its should be set to less than a second.
You can try increasing the size and contrast settings...or use the new zone crossing options...

Palmpilot

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Re: Asking for assistance with reducing sunlight/shadow false positive (video include

Thank you @fenderman, all my cameras are duplicated. I have another BI stream for this camera that is set to a 0.5 second with no object detection that triggers on almost anything. This camera I specified above is not recording, it is the one that sends me alerts (that is why it is less sensitive) but it is still too sensitive when it comes to shadows.

I tried to play with the contrast (make it less sensitive) but what ended up happening was that at night it missed a lot of events since objects' contrast was not as good as during the day. Sadly I can't use time-based profiles. I use my profiles with my home alarm system (SimpliSafe) where Home/Away/Off trigger different camera profiles.

The zone crossing feature is relatively new right? I need to learn how it works. I am still not sure how well it would work if a shadow will cross zones.

Lots of trial and error...

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Thank you @fenderman, all my cameras are duplicated. I have another BI stream for this camera that is set to a 0.5 second with no object detection that triggers on almost anything. This camera I specified above is not recording, it is the one that sends me alerts (that is why it is less sensitive) but it is still too sensitive when it comes to shadows.

I tried to play with the contrast (make it less sensitive) but what ended up happening was that at night it missed a lot of events since objects' contrast was not as good as during the day. Sadly I can't use time-based profiles. I use my profiles with my home alarm system (SimpliSafe) where Home/Away/Off trigger different camera profiles.

The zone crossing feature is relatively new right? I need to learn how it works. I am still not sure how well it would work if a shadow will cross zones.

Lots of trial and error...
If you space the zones far enough apart, shadows wont trigger but a person walking from one to the other will..

Palmpilot

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

If you space the zones far enough apart, shadows wont trigger but a person walking from one to the other will..
Great idea. I will play with the new zone crossing feature. One more followup question.
Today I use Zones to mark areas that I want to trigger on. Will Zone Crossing override the standard Zone triggering?
So if I have Zone A and B today if an object is detected in either/or it will trigger.
If I also configure Zone Crossing (say A>B) does it mean the camera will only trigger if the object moved from zone A to B but not if it just showed up in one of the zones?

Fun project for the upcoming weekend :)

Thanks again!