Asking for feedback on planned camera setup for freshly build house

Otanaught

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

after lurking, reading a lot of threads, crunching the wiki, I tried my best to find the best camera/s for my need and now turn to you, for feedback. ;)

I would like to install three (or four) cameras on our freshly build house (We are situated in Germany).

The idea is a) deter intruders (oh there are cameras), b) see if someone enters the property day and especially at night, c) see if he tinkers on any of the windows and d) get notified on motion.
Everything else is a cherry on top, due to the hight of the cameras face detection probably won't be an option:

While building our house we planed three wired (CAT 7) camera cables on three sides of the house :)
Unfortunately, I found this forum too late and the cable outlets are quite high, around 7 meters / 23 feet :(. Running a wire down on the wall is not an option as the wify dislike the idea.

My plan is to get 3x a Dahua IPC-HDW5442T-ZE cameras. For the start running on Synology surveillance station. If the performance or lack of features won't be satisfying, I would either upgrade to the Dahua NVR or take a look at Blue iris.

I planned the camera installation using the ipvm calculator and here are the details, I might add a fourth camera on the western side of the building by installing a unifi outdoor switch on the northern side and powering two cameras (the green one + 1).
Please ignore the satellite image, as it is outdated. The black box resembles the actual house location

1603061110636.png

The Doorbell is already installed, the same manufacturer but a different model.

Do you think the IPC-HDW5442T-ZE is the right fit? I really hope that I can get the blind spots down to a minimum by tiling the camera appropriately.
Any other feedback on the setup? As I am new to the surveillance business, any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks a lot and Cheers!

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:

The IPC-HDW5442T-ZE is a excellent camera. I realize that you have already run the cables, but you mounting height is way to high, you will be able to tell what happened, but not who did it.

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Wow, you've done your location homework. All looks great but your mounting height will greatly limit your FOV because either you'll be pointing it downwards to get near your house entry and limit the view further out (plus you'll only get the tops of their heads) or if you want to view further out, you'll miss the view close to your house.

The house is wired, the cams you've picked are great cams and you said you can't lower the cams so just go for it and adjust the best you can. You'll still have a view of something, use the varifocal to aim at the best location. Cheers and good luck.

Otanaught

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks! No clue why I didn't had the following idea earlier, but I could install an unifi flex switch on the position of the eastern and northern camera and then arrange a cable downwards using the waterspout.
Thus the cable is kind of hidden (wife happy) and I could install both cams at an optimal height (~2.3 meters, ~ 7.5 feet) using the Dahua pole mount. WDYT?

Btw. any tips on how to attach the cables to the waterspout?

Last edited: