Assistance in settings - 3 area's of plates

oxnor

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, I'm attempting to cover a T intersection that is 115 feet from the camera.
I'm in a state with Front plates.

I'm attempting to cover traffic traveling east, and Traveling West including turning to go North.

I have the IR on full blast, but it seems to only take effect on the top part of the image.

Is this a situation where my settings need to be adjusted, or is more IR light needed?

current settings:
Image:
  1. Brightness: 50
  2. Contrast: 55
  3. Saturation: 40
  4. Sharp: 40
  5. Gamma: 45
Exposure:
  1. Anit-Flicker: Outdoor
  2. Mode: Manual
  3. Shutter: 1/2000
  4. Gain: 0, 50
  5. Iris: 35
  6. Exposure Compensation: 50
  7. 3d nr level: 40
  8. 2d nr level: 40

Thank you

Attachments

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
What model is the camera?
Are you running Backlight? HLC?

What is the difference between the first 4 and that last image?

Try increasing Iris to 50-60 first

Try Gain at 65

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is a tough angle trying to get everything.

With the much of an angle, plate reflection will be difficult, especially the newer 3M printed plates that don't reflect back to the light source like the stamped plates.

I would crank iris to 60 and gamma to 60 and see if that helps.

More IR will certainly help, but you may have to decide to focus on one direction and more cameras for the others.

oxnor

n3wb
Reaction score
I will try to adjust the Iris and gamma.

The camera is
IPC-B52IR-Z12E-S2

oxnor

n3wb
Reaction score
hrm.. ya, I think I'll have to aim farther away to decrease the angle.

adjusted 60/60 with following result.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The best thing to do now is if that road isn't heavily traveled, can you have someone go take a drive and have them on the phone and have them stop when the plate is in the ideal spot for that lane and then adjust parameters until you get a clean image.

It is amazing how much parameter changes can result in a plate being readable or not. Obviously shutter speed plays a role, but contrast cranked too high or low can result in a non-readable plate as an example.

The one thing we have seen is that we all post our numbers, and nobody is running the same. So many variables involved. Some run a low sharpness like 2 and other have to run 50 as an example.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
And I think you’re seeing the effect of trying to cover too much area. Daytime capture will help tell but I believe as @wittaj alluded to, you need more zoom on a tighter area

Example
Overview camera 6mm 5442
HOA Ent VPN_StreetView_main_20240107111258_@7.jpg
Z12 zoomed
HOA Ent VPN_EntTag_main_20240107111257_@7.jpg

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Thats gonna help, but angle is probably your biggest adversary. IR light has to bounce back to the camera generally speaking from the direction it came.

You're also seeing that DAYTIME trailing pixelization/fuzziness blob that seems to occur with the Z12. I havent completely gotten rid of it but I've manage d to minimize it

Gimmee a minute and I'll post settings

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I think that angle will be tough if/when your state goes to the 3M printed plates.

The reflective properties are so much different and the angles we could get away with like yours with stamped/raised lettering just cannot capture the printed plates.

The newer plates are really forcing the requirement for as straight on as possible as @bigredfish posted.

oxnor

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks @bigredfish , I'll adjust what I can after posted.

Noted @wittaj ... ugh, the perpendicular positioning is just so tough... if only I lived on a 1 way in/out road!
I'll do some scoping to see if there is a better spot while running this spot into the ground, so to speak.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, I have had to move my cameras around and get them closer and with better angles now that I am seeing more of the printed plates. It sucks!