Assistance in settings - 3 area's of plates

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
These are my daytime but you made good improvement with those last two shots. YMMV each scene and lighting condition is different. You might just roll with those last changes and see how it goes first.
daynew1.jpg daynew2.jpg daynew3.jpg daynew4.jpg daynew5.jpg

One note on Focus: I use the "Schedule" profile and manually have the camera turn to Night settings 45 minutes BEFORE sunset to insure it has enough light to get a good focus. Thus the "semi-Auto" setting allowing the camera to determine focus withjin a narrow scene.
Many here feel thats a caveman approach and instead use the Day/Night utility or similar with the "Day/Night" profile and a call from BI (I use an NVR) along with Manual focus to try and be more specific to sunset for the change.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
This is definitely a situation where getting an external IR emitter will help. The in-camera IR emitter really isn't powerful enough at that distance. The camera IR might be helping some, but it is not the primary source of illumination. You can tell because the plates are still clearly being illuminated by the car's license plate light (evident by the fact the plates are brighter closer to the light and darker father away from the light). With the right external emitter, the IR will be the primary light source and the plates will have a consistent level of illumination across the entire plate. Plus, you'll still get plates when the car's light isn't bright or perhaps not working at all.

oxnor

n3wb
Reaction score
which wavelength is best for the Z12? The distance is about... 110 ft to 130ft.

oxnor

n3wb
Reaction score
These are my daytime but you made good improvement with those last two shots. YMMV each scene and lighting condition is different. You might just roll with those last changes and see how it goes first.
View attachment 182080 View attachment 182081 View attachment 182082 View attachment 182083 View attachment 182084

One note on Focus: I use the "Schedule" profile and manually have the camera turn to Night settings 45 minutes BEFORE sunset to insure it has enough light to get a good focus. Thus the "semi-Auto" setting allowing the camera to determine focus withjin a narrow scene.
Many here feel thats a caveman approach and instead use the Day/Night utility or similar with the "Day/Night" profile and a call from BI (I use an NVR) along with Manual focus to try and be more specific to sunset for the change.
Thank you, I'll compare and give 'em a go.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The camera only sees the 850nm.

It is best to get the IR as close to the camera as possible due to the way it reflects off the plates.

oxnor

n3wb
Reaction score
This is definitely a situation where getting an external IR emitter will help. The in-camera IR emitter really isn't powerful enough at that distance. The camera IR might be helping some, but it is not the primary source of illumination. You can tell because the plates are still clearly being illuminated by the car's license plate light (evident by the fact the plates are brighter closer to the light and darker father away from the light). With the right external emitter, the IR will be the primary light source and the plates will have a consistent level of illumination across the entire plate. Plus, you'll still get plates when the car's light isn't bright or perhaps not working at all.
Thank you!

Any recommended IR Transmitter you recommend at this distance and FOV?

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I might add that the illuminar unit helps with the non-reflective plates. It gives the plates more contrast and makes them easier to read. That includes the California temporary paper plates

oxnor

n3wb
Reaction score
Ordered from B&H :). I'll continue to slightly tweak the night settings, but likely won't have much of an update until it gets here
thanks all, appreciate the tips.

any more daytime or night time tips, please keep sending 'em!

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Did you try 1/1000 as suggested above?