Assistance with Wireless

Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Ah - I think I understand.

So you have a converter from fiber to ethernet where ethernet connectors are needed.

In the future, when Google Fiber is available, I bring in Google Fiber and don't suffer because I already have fiber between the buildings.

Why would you put most of the cameras on buildings? (and what do you see that is different in mine? I think I have 70% on buildings).

Also, how do you deal with existing utility lines on the property? Do you look at a survey?

Reaction score
Also, taking this discussion one step further, I would love to be able to offer my tenants fast high speed wireless internet. This space seems to be rife with inefficiency and bad information.

Do you have guys have any thoughts on this?

My alternative is to bulk-buy cable from Comcast...

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Optical fiber cable - Wikipedia

Ethernet cable use's copper wire.

Here is whom you call about locating utilities: Georgia 811

I don't know your skill set, but to me you are taking on a huge project, that will require a pro to accomplish correctly, at least the cabling/burying portion.

1k-2k Prices you were quoted was for what exactly?

I suggest you contact @bababouy via PM. He is a member here.
Here is his website: www.nighthawkmonitoring.com

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It seems that traditional camera installers charge an arm and a leg.
Prices I was quoted was $1K-2K installed.
I think the labor alone for this would be significantly more than $2k. Point to point wifi between some buildings is going to be the cheapest option available

The Lorex system you bought may be a bit disappointing. What model are the various components?

copex

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
you would use point to multi point, so on the main building either 2 x180 sectors or one 360 sector (depends on the bandwidth required) then in any area where you can cable back to one point to point pointing back to the main building......