Asus TM-AC1900 Router and OpenVPN set up for Blue Iris, please help?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you Edcfish! Just as I expected then, the Asus is simply not generating the cert data and the keys right.

Either I need to learn how to generate an OpenVPN certificate, without the router OR, try to change router and see if the new one can.

I have an option with a TP-Link Archer, however it does not provide a baked in DDNS service like Asus... So I hope I can find one from something like no-ip that'll work, cause it only supports that and DynDNS which is no longer free... Thank you!
Reset the router to factory defaults, and then setup again from scratch may help.
Is the router firmware up to date?

oldman

n3wb
Reaction score
Just a observation:
I noticed that you say your router is a Asus TM-AC1900 Router, which I think is the AC1900 supplied by T-Mobile. Those routers have been modified from the original Merlin firmware, and may not fully support VPN. Re-installing the actual Merlin firmware might make a difference.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I
Just a observation:
I noticed that you say your router is a Asus TM-AC1900 Router, which I think is the AC1900 supplied by T-Mobile. Those routers have been modified from the original Merlin firmware, and may not fully support VPN. Re-installing the actual Merlin firmware might make a difference.
I had forgotten this fact, yeah from some searching, buy your self a new Asus router.

ProTapper

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Reset the router to factory defaults, and then setup again from scratch may help.
Is the router firmware up to date?
Hey bud, the reset did not help, however, switching routers did the trick! I am able to establish a VPN now!! Thanks for everyone's help here!

BTW - Maybe it's my cellular connection, but sometimes that VPN life is SLOWWWWW!!! I have my BI hardwired to a gig connection. Could it be a slow (free DDNS)? Just tryin to get everyone's feel here?

My transition to BI is getting close... I am coming off the out of the box Lorex kit and am trying to understand that when I am not home, how close will I get to that cloud (unsecure) experience of being able to view my site on BI?

Appreciate it all again guys!

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
From work, a good coffee shop, the public library.... test using WIFI with the VPN to home. I do most of my viewing via WIFI with a Chromebook. I can not see anything of value on my phone.

Also understand that you may have a gig connection into your house. BUT more than likely it is NOT a gig in the other direction.

ProTapper

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
From work, a good coffee shop, the public library.... test using WIFI with the VPN to home. I do most of my viewing via WIFI with a Chromebook. I can not see anything of value on my phone.

Also understand that you may have a gig connection into your house. BUT more than likely it is NOT a gig in the other direction.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. One question... Now I don't need to be confused the almost infinite benefits of BI set up over an out of the box NVR. But, isn't it kinda convenient to enjoy that access everywhere from the NVR's cloud services?

Before I truly buy my BI license, I think it expires in a week... How close to this kind of access and convenience do you get to with BI? Appreciate you sharing your experience!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Cloud service can be hacked and have to depend on a server who knows where and at what speed.

That is literally the whole point of OpenVPN, to give you access to your BI from everywhere LOL.

The UI3 or BI App I find to be superior to any NVR app I had.

Instead of tapping one NVR app, I tap two - OpenVPN and then BI. Not a big deal.

And some have their phone setup to automatically be on OpenVPN whenever they are not on their home wifi, then it is only one tap.

It isn't like it is 12 steps and 10 minutes to get to your BI feed. OpenVPN and UI3 is quicker than any one tap NVR app I had before I knew better about letting cloud services...

The plus side to OpenVPN is you can now log into free wifi anywhere and not use mobile data since it is a secure VPN back into your router and you are surfing the net securely like you are on your couch at home!

ProTapper

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Cloud service can be hacked and have to depend on a server who knows where and at what speed.

That is literally the whole point of OpenVPN, to give you access to your BI from everywhere LOL.

The UI3 or BI App I find to be superior to any NVR app I had.

Instead of tapping one NVR app, I tap two - OpenVPN and then BI. Not a big deal.

And some have their phone setup to automatically be on OpenVPN whenever they are not on their home wifi, then it is only one tap.

It isn't like it is 12 steps and 10 minutes to get to your BI feed. OpenVPN and UI3 is quicker than any one tap NVR app I had before I knew better about letting cloud services...

The plus side to OpenVPN is you can now log into free wifi anywhere and not use mobile data since it is a secure VPN back into your router and you are surfing the net securely like you are on your couch at home!
Thanks AJ! So let's say I have the BI app installed, and I get a push notification, like any other cloud service, which scenario will apply?

Scenario 1:

1. Push notifications won't even come through unless I'm on OpenVPN?

Or Scenario 2:

1. Push notifications will push through, no matter what.

2. Connect to OpenVPN

3. BI app or UI3 to watch the event?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wouldn't be a good system if we couldn't be notified when away LOL...

If you do not have the BI app, you can set-up BI to send you a text message and depending on your mobile carrier, you could have it send you a picture or a gif. You look at it and decide if you need to go to OpenVPN and then UI3 to see it live or watch a playback.

If you have the BI app, you can get the push without being on OpenVPN. if you want to see what is going on, you then OpenVPN and open the app to see it live or watch a playback.

Tons of flexibility and way more than the NVR app will give you.

And if remembering to tap the OpenVPN app is a big deal, then just have it run automatically when you are off your wifi. Someone here once did a test and I think it was like 10MB for the month leaving it on.

But as I told you previously, most here do not have the BI app and simply use UI3. The BI app is useful if you 2-way talk cameras. Otherwise, the text message is quick and doesn't require yet another app running in the background to push out a notification.

Last edited:

ProTapper

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wouldn't be a good system if we couldn't be notified when away LOL...

If you do not have the BI app, you can set-up BI to send you a text message and depending on your mobile carrier, you could have it send you a picture or a gif. You look at it and decide if you need to go to OpenVPN and then UI3 to see it live or watch a playback.

If you have the BI app, you can get the push without being on OpenVPN. if you want to see what is going on, you then OpenVPN and open the app to see it live or watch a playback.

Tons of flexibility and way more than the NVR app will give you.

And if remembering to tap the OpenVPN app is a big deal, then just have it run automatically when you are off your wifi. Someone here once did a test and I think it was like 10MB for the month leaving it on.

But as I told you previously, most here do not have the BI app and simply use UI3. The BI app is useful if you 2-way talk cameras. Otherwise, the text message is quick and doesn't require yet another app running in the background to push out a notification.
Thanks AJ... Makes sense... I'll keep making headway through the set up.

Latest issue: All of a sudden my Internet NIC for the BI machine has decided to be a 100 mbps card only!! Like... What the heck man! LOL! I can't invent this stuff! So my speeds for the BI machine are now capped at 100mbps...

Any idea what could be causing this? I tried disabling, enabling the NIC already, no avail...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dang, you have one issue after another LOL :banghead:

Usually the diagnosis option will fix it. But you will probably need to go to the settings and manually force it to 1gbps

Follow these steps after the part with the cable (we will assume for the moment that your cable is good):

ProTapper

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Dang, you have one issue after another LOL :banghead:

Usually the diagnosis option will fix it. But you will probably need to go to the settings and manually force it to 1gbps

Follow these steps after the part with the cable (we will assume for the moment that your cable is good):

Fixed this issue, thanks AJ!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks AJ! So let's say I have the BI app installed, and I get a push notification, like any other cloud service, which scenario will apply?

Scenario 1:

1. Push notifications won't even come through unless I'm on OpenVPN?

Or Scenario 2:

1. Push notifications will push through, no matter what.

2. Connect to OpenVPN

3. BI app or UI3 to watch the event?
Notifications will come through, but you won't receive the still capture pic of what triggered the alert. You would need to have openvpn running to get the pic.
Push notifications are usually faster and more reliable than other methods.

ProTapper

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Notifications will come through, but you won't receive the still capture pic of what triggered the alert. You would need to have openvpn running to get the pic.
Push notifications are usually faster and more reliable than other methods.
Thanks looney! I've had the worst luck in the world trying to set up my BI! Bless @wittaj for sticking through with me to keep going.

I fixed the 100mpbs NIC issue and now I don't have a bunch of things not working on BI and I'm kinda freaking out cause I went ahead and bought a bunch of stuff to go to BI over the boxed NVR. I'm trying to draw my network topology to share with people here, but here's my list now... If someone is willing to help me via DM/TV please let me know. Current list of issues:

1. BI UI3 server doesn't work ANYWHERE or any devices on the network, other than a Windows machine with IE. I believe I have the right settings in BI, but only IE works over the whole house. No chrome, no mobile devices, not OpenVPN'd connections.

2. I set up my email address to get notifications. Gmail blocked BI and now notifications or nothing has come to my phone from BI.

3. DeepStack doesn't get set up with BI. I have tried various versions of the installers. One seemed to be detected and working, but then I couldn't get passed the API Key, which apparently is no longer needed. But the new versions don't get detected in BI for me to work.

I'm having a bit of deflated day over this, since I have investment in this solution. My goal was much like this forum, get off the cookie cutter, out of the box limited NVR solution and move to BI... But it's been a journey and it's looking dark. Appreciate you guys for helping me through it.