AT&T "HomeBase" for rural internet service

wftomlin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Any way to access your BI cameras from the internet if you can't open ANY ports on your router?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Run OpenVPN on your router and the client on the remote device?

wftomlin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This "router" is more like a mobile hotspot, VERY limited functionality, There is an option to port forward but it doesn't work. Supposedly something about the way cell towers operate. Lots of people on the forum have the same question and get no answers either. AT&T support staff are clueless. Also has a "VPN through" but I'm not sure if that works either. I'd like to set up OpenVPN on my PC, but have to open port 1194...so I'm outta luck there too I guess.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
AT&T mobile (cellular) hotspots employ carrier-grade NAT, meaning no public IP is available. You'll likely have to use Hamachi or ngrok to access BI remotely.

That being said, BI can still get OUT and send alerts to you via e-mail or push notifications to the BI app on your smartphone or tablet.

brad2388

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Im using airvpn. It runs on the computer with blueiris.and blueiris picks up the ip and away we go.

Works with att wireless and verizon both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wftomlin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
AT&T mobile (cellular) hotspots employ carrier-grade NAT, meaning no public IP is available. You'll likely have to use Hamachi or ngrok to access BI remotely.

That being said, BI can still get OUT and send alerts to you via e-mail or push notifications to the BI app on your smartphone or tablet.
Hmmm...tried ngrok. the remote computer connected fine but within a minute I got onscreen errors. When I logged out (from the remote computer)screenshot.jpg error.JPG I got the second error.

wftomlin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Im using airvpn. It runs on the computer with blueiris.and blueiris picks up the ip and away we go.

Works with att wireless and verizon both.

Thanks, I'll look at this one too.

Last edited:

wftomlin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Will airvpn allow me to use the BI app on my phone?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Will airvpn allow me to use the BI app on my phone?
Yea it will. Thats what im doing. With my iphone.
Airvpn is a "service" that merely hides your IP and encrypts your traffic BUT requires using their server(s), which IMO, negates any real security with any tunnel, despite touting "OpenVPN".

Running OpenVPN on a router and a OpenVPN client on your iPhone is a very different ballgame...it IS secure.

BUT for me, and this is fact not speculation, my AT&T wireless is carrier-grade NAT with NO public IP available and no VPN service such as airvpn will allow secure, remote access to my LAN. I don't know this for fact, but I have read on other forums that a public IP can be purchased for a "business" wireless (cellular) account for $350 to $500. Even if true, TonyR won't be doing that.

brad2388

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Airvpn is a "service" that merely hides your IP and encrypts your traffic BUT requires using their server(s), which IMO, negates any real security with any tunnel, despite touting "OpenVPN".

Running OpenVPN on a router and a OpenVPN client on your iPhone is a very different ballgame...it IS secure.

BUT for me, and this is fact not speculation, my AT&T wireless is carrier-grade NAT with NO public IP available and no VPN service such as airvpn will allow secure, remote access to my LAN. I don't know this for fact, but I have read on other forums that a public IP can be purchased for a "business" wireless (cellular) account for $350 to $500. Even if true, TonyR won't be doing that.
Airvpn is a service but it also give you a public ip.

You select the ports you want open and the rest are closed.

It works for me. Its easy and you can have 5 devices running at the same time.

I have three blueiris servers running for a couple of years with no problems running airvpn.

brad2388

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Theres nothing to do on the phone. Just open the bi app and it connects.

No turning on your vpn or anything.

brad2388

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@brad2388,
Is this the same VPN service you were using in your February posts?
The airvpn yes.

I tried the l2tp vpn thru my phone. The iphone dont have openvpn built in and its another step to take inorder to get signed onto the vpn.

Im probly going at it the wrong way but for me this is the easiest way ive found.

Is it secure? Idk but ive never had any problems in the 18-19 months ive been using it. Plus there are servers all over the globe that you can use so your ping times and bandwidth isnt slow at all.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We run an AT&T mobile "hotspot" which serves as fail-over internet connectivity for out office when/if cable goes down. AT&T charged us $500.00 flat to provision our mobile hotspot with a single static IP address. At the time AT&T called the service "i2gold."

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We run an AT&T mobile "hotspot" which serves as fail-over internet connectivity for out office when/if cable goes down. AT&T charged us $500.00 flat to provision our mobile hotspot with a single static IP address. At the time AT&T called the service "i2gold."
Thx for confirming what I alluded to in post #10. For every 10 AT&T CS agents you speak with, you get 10 different stories of availability and price, not to mention the differences of what will and will not work among geographic regions served by "The Giant Corporation that swallowed America" with the Feds approval. :angry:

brad2388

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thx for confirming what I alluded to in post #10. For every 10 AT&T CS agents you speak with, you get 10 different stories of availability and price, not to mention the differences of what will and will not work among geographic regions served by "The Giant Corporation that swallowed America" with the Feds approval. :angry:
Are yoh behind att also? What do you use or how?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Are yoh behind att also? What do you use or how?

The issue is not att. Its the lte/cellular that does not provide a routerable ip, same with WISP and SAT. The solutions are discussed in this thread.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
AirVPN is a good solution. Easy to set up, I'm sure. A more secure solution would be to rent a cheap virtual machine server somewhere and run OpenVPN server on it, and the OpenVPN client on your own router or BI PC (although whatever you used for a client, it would need to be robust with automatic re-connection and all that), and then you could connect your other devices to that VPN and access the BI server through that. It does require a lot more technical skill to set up and run this way though compared to just using AirVPN to forward a port.