ATM Getting Broken Into 4.11.21

Wolf4Ever

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Didn't hear anything last night but woke up to a card on my door.
Forgot to disable the sound for privacy as I don't have a sign up....but don't think they will mind on this one.

Last edited:

Wolf4Ever

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity while I like color and the light is ok for close or big objects it still ghosts and is transparent at times. I think I need a little more or spread out light to get the best results. I don't mind b&w if it would help with the streaking/ghosting but I can't get it set right, as to me it looks worse then color and is blown out/over bright to me. There is still streaking/ghosting so I stayed with color at 1/250 to help with streaking/ghosting over 1/30/60 or auto and still bright enough but a little darker than the others. So if anyone has any ideas or suggestions let me know.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Light is certainly a much needed friend to these types of cameras!

As you have seen, auto settings in most situations for shutter will produce a great picture, but motion is complete crap with blurring and ghosting.

In my opinion, shutter and gain are the two most important and then base the others off of it.

Many people do not realize there is manual shutter that lets you adjust shutter and gain and a shutter priority that only lets you adjust shutter speed but not gain. The higher the gain, the bigger the noise and see-through ghosting start to appear because the noise is amplified. Most people select shutter priority and run a faster shutter than they should because it is likely being done at 100 gain, so it is actually defeating their purpose of a faster shutter.

Go into shutter settings and change to manual shutter and start with custom shutter as ms and change to 0-8.3ms and gain 0-50 (night) and 0-30 (day)for starters. Auto could have a shutter speed of 100ms or more with a gain at 100 and shutter priority could result in gain up at 100 which will contribute to significant ghosting and that blinding white you will get from the infrared.

Now what you will notice immediately at night is that your image gets A LOT darker. That faster the shutter, the more light that is needed. But it is a balance. The nice bright night image results in Casper during motion LOL. What do we want, a nice static image or a clean image when there is motion introduced to the scene?

So if it is too dark, then start adding ms to the time. Go to 10ms, 12ms, etc. until you find what you feel is acceptable as an image. Then have someone walk around and see if you can get a clean shot. Try not to go above 30ms as that tends to be the point where blur starts to occur. Conversely, if it is still bright, then drop down in time to get a faster shutter.

You can also adjust brightness and contrast to improve the image.

You can also add some gain to brighten the image - but the higher the gain, the more ghosting you get. Some cameras can go to 70 or so before it is an issue and some can't go over 50.

But adjusting those two settings will have the biggest impact. The next one is noise reduction. Want to keep that as low as possible. Depending on the amount of light you have, you might be able to get down to 40 or so at night (again camera dependent) and 25-30 during the day, but take it as low as you can before it gets too noisy. Again this one is a balance as well. Too smooth and no noise can result in soft images and contribute to blur.

Last edited:

Wolf4Ever

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Light is certainly a much needed friend to these types of cameras!

As you have seen, auto settings in most situations for shutter will produce a great picture, but motion is complete crap with blurring and ghosting.

In my opinion, shutter and gain are the two most important and then base the others off of it.

Many people do not realize there is manual shutter that lets you adjust shutter and gain and a shutter priority that only lets you adjust shutter speed but not gain. The higher the gain, the bigger the noise and see-through ghosting start to appear because the noise is amplified. Most people select shutter priority and run a faster shutter than they should because it is likely being done at 100 gain, so it is actually defeating their purpose of a faster shutter.

Go into shutter settings and change to manual shutter and start with custom shutter as ms and change to 0-8.3ms and gain 0-50 (night) and 0-30 (day)for starters. Auto could have a shutter speed of 100ms or more with a gain at 100 and shutter priority could result in gain up at 100 which will contribute to significant ghosting and that blinding white you will get from the infrared.

Now what you will notice immediately at night is that your image gets A LOT darker. That faster the shutter, the more light that is needed. But it is a balance. The nice bright night image results in Casper during motion LOL. What do we want, a nice static image or a clean image when there is motion introduced to the scene?

So if it is too dark, then start adding ms to the time. Go to 10ms, 12ms, etc. until you find what you feel is acceptable as an image. Then have someone walk around and see if you can get a clean shot. Try not to go above 30ms as that tends to be the point where blur starts to occur. Conversely, if it is still bright, then drop down in time to get a faster shutter.

You can also adjust brightness and contrast to improve the image.

You can also add some gain to brighten the image - but the higher the gain, the more ghosting you get. Some cameras can go to 70 or so before it is an issue and some can't go over 50.

But adjusting those two settings will have the biggest impact. The next one is noise reduction. Want to keep that as low as possible. Depending on the amount of light you have, you might be able to get down to 40 or so at night (again camera dependent) and 25-30 during the day, but take it as low as you can before it gets too noisy. Again this one is a balance as well. Too smooth and no noise can result in soft images and contribute to blur.
Thanks, not there yet but much better still messing around and for how dark the side is I may live with it, as I mainly care about my cars. May try b&w next weekend and compare. So only question now is how does ms relate to shutter speed like 1/30 or 1/120 or whatever. Is there a chart somewhere?
Someday I will have two one overall view and one zoomed in where I want it, but for now this is better than nothing.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What shutter speed is that now?

Looks like you have enough light there that I do not think going B/W would result in appreciable gains for you.

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not really a subtle job huh? Geez.

Guess the truck was stolen.
What? I thought the crew delicately did the job with minimum noises and communicated with each other with professionalism.
And just a minor mistake of driving right up on Wolf4Ever's camera with a clear view of the front license plate. :blankstare:

Wolf4Ever

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What shutter speed is that now?

Looks like you have enough light there that I do not think going B/W would result in appreciable gains for you.
It was 1/250 gain 80 but changed to 0-18 and gain on 55 and noise at 30 on the last one of them walking. Still trying different settings but better than it was for now.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It was 1/250 gain 80 but changed to 0-18 and gain on 55 and noise at 30 on the last one of them walking. Still trying different settings but better than it was for now.
Wow that is a lot of light you have! At 80 gain I would have serious ghosting.

Podagrower

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Also, just found out it was over 100k...I had no idea that much could be in a ATM.
These guys are familiar with the area, there's been some planning. The truck was probably stolen very shortly before the robbery and with the prices trucks are at, the truck alone could be 80K of the robbery.

Wolf4Ever

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well making private for the time being will change at a later date. They came back needing more info and video and not that I can't post it, they just really would like I didn't so I'll give them some time.

Well its been long enough, so I figured I would turn off private. I guess YouTube updated the TOS again, so I can't have any videos longer then 15 min. I don't care to verify my account as I'm not a creator.
So I just shortened it a bit and reuped it.

Last edited: