Attempt at car theft. 1080p Dahua ip.

Farmer D

n3wb
Reaction score
It is always best to add motion activated lights as well. There's a video on here where a guy has motion activated lights in his driveway. Out of maybe 10 or so door checkers, more than half just turned around and left as soon as the lights turned on. The others took a quick peek inside the car and left as well. Worth the investment IMO.

GSMarquis

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure my next cam will be a HNI PTZ. I will have to trim some trees and take a few down that I hate anyway. I am not sure about the hipoe on cat5e, seems like alot of power on low cmil cable. Maybe I'll run a 2 conductor 18awg also for 24ac power.

GSMarquis

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My starlight turrets have not come in yet. I did get the location between the garage doors wired and mounted today. I installed a 8mp VF HDBW5830R-Z till then. This is the zoomed in shot.

Attachments

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was thinking about setting up a motion delay trigger to play a audio file clip of a short wierd noise. Something to make the criminal look at the speaker placed right at the camera. Might be able to get a direct face shot.

Maybe a fart noise....lol.
Or the sound of a shell being racked into a pump 12 gauge shotgun. :D

CCTV Guy

n3wb
Reaction score
Or the sound of a shell being racked into a pump 12 gauge shotgun. :D
My thoughts, exactly. I once saw someone trying to get in my back yard. I yelled at him from inside the house and he casually started to walk away. That's when I opened my door and racked my shotgun. His retreat became considerably less casual; more Jesse Owens.

The camera placement between the vehicles looks good, as long as there is enough light to provide a high enough shutter speed to get a decent picture. For someone on foot at that distance 1/30 would be the minimum.

I believe deterrence is best. Although we'd like to catch the bad guy stealing our stuff, it would be better if they didn't steal it in the fist place. Always on lighting or motion lighting tend to deter. A flashing car alarm light on the dash (real or fake) is a good deterrent as well.

RobertM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Deterrence is key. We offer a slim target designed to be of little interest/incentive for the bad guy: vehicles never parked outside, no bicycles or goodies in yard, garage door always closed, all house access doors locked, plantation shutters on all windows closed, all windows locked, nothing visible to take advantage of, no indication of which part of the house has activity. As you can see in my avatar, the only non-shuttered window is over the top of the front door. You can only see the ceiling which is reflecting the Fake TV led ($25 Amazon) 24/7dfyu.jpg . Security stickers on all ground floor windows and doors. Attached pic shows the three stickers for the visitors at the front door (two K9 stickers and 1 law enforcement support sticker).

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey
Deterrence is key. We offer a slim target designed to be of little interest/incentive for the bad guy: vehicles never parked outside, no bicycles or goodies in yard, garage door always closed, all house access doors locked, plantation shutters on all windows closed, all windows locked, nothing visible to take advantage of, no indication of which part of the house has activity. As you can see in my avatar, the only non-shuttered window is over the top of the front door. You can only see the ceiling which is reflecting the Fake TV led ($25 Amazon) 24/7 . Security stickers on all ground floor windows and doors. Attached pic shows the three stickers for the visitors at the front door (two K9 stickers and 1 law enforcement support sticker).
Hey, you could still be scoped by a blind, deaf person...but at least you left him (or her) nada, zip, zilch to rip off!:lmao:

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I always have a Beware of the Dog sign up as well. Even though I don't have a dog, not many want to chance if there's a potentially dangerous mutt in the house.

sjamieso

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This was a attempt at stealing stuff out of my cars. Recorded on a Dahua 1080p ip dome. My first Dahua chinese hacked cam. I have replaced it with a 8mp from Andy sense then. Hoping to get better face images. I also installed another 8mp above the garage door zoomed in between the cars. Should make the face about 30% of the image. I have noticed the attempts are always between my cars, never on the outsides. At least 6 times last year.

Edit: Re doing the clip. Its corrupted. Stand by.....
I think you have this all wrong, that is clearly a good Samaritan going door to door for a lock it or loose it campaign, he would likely leave a note as a reminder to lock you door if he found one open ;)

All kidding aside, i'll have to 2nd or 3rd the suggestions about motion lights in conjunction with the 2mp starlight cameras. I've personally seen car doors left part way open and not looted when the motion light comes on just as they open a door. they are simple and effective and may even help gather a better image as the fine upstanding citizen turns his head to see what the light was before he runs to "help" the next customer ;)

sjamieso

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Good input! Speaking of additional IR illumination, I was thinking about that for my dark garage, are people using these, and if so what works good for surveillance purposes?

Keving

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a stupid question because I’m the 2-speed guy- stop and full-throttle. I have a couple Q-See NVRs with Dahau ip cams and I decided to upgrade for the same reason above, recent car and home invasions. I bought a ‭Dahau dh-sd6c230tn-hni thinking it was compatible with my Q-See QC816 or QC808 NVR because they’re Onvif. However, I’m pretty sure I can’t use the POE because it’s DC, not AC. Does anyone know if that’s correct? Do I need a different NVR? My dumbass thought it would just plug and play like my other cameras. I’m an old-school telephone system installer & network tech, but when it comes to this new camera, I’m scratching my head. I have zero documentation on how to install this thing. I bought a corner mount for it and can’t even test the camera because it didn’t come with a power supply (nor the “integration” cable). Learned the hard way that it does nothing when plugged into the POE port on my NVR, so it hasn’t been seen yet. Would a different POE injector work or just power supply? I’d like to keep the other cameras on the same system as this new one, but if I can’t, I guess that’s just another app I’d have to open. ANY HELP WOULD BE SO APPRECIATED!!!

Keving

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Also, for those needing eave-mounted lighting, I just got a l.e.d. one at Home Depot that is adjustable. It stays on dusk til dawn with warm-white light to match other house lighting m, then when someone set off the motion detector, it blasts them with that ugly 5000k bright white for however long you select. I like it.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
Motion lights may cause you to miss the ID moment, as the camera will have to adjust it's exposure after the lights come on.
Either add always on visible lights or Add additional IR illumination instead.
That's a good point. When some of my cameras switch from nighttime to daylight mode, they physically swap an IR filter into the optical path and then seem to struggle for a few seconds before recovering and presenting a useable video stream again. I think I would have to force those cameras into either always color or always B&W mode to use them in an area covered by a motion sensor light.

And even then, the time required to adjust their exposure might well wreck the brief time when the bad actor looked toward the camera.

I like the idea of presenting the perps with some noise that makes them look, though! Just a squeek, like a rusty door hinge might be about right to get a good ID moment.

Or maybe a nice fart noise. OK, now we know GSMarquis and I've been spending too much time watching YouTube pranksters!

Last edited:

Chesssie

n3wb
Reaction score
Also, for those needing eave-mounted lighting, I just got a l.e.d. one at Home Depot that is adjustable. It stays on dusk til dawn with warm-white light to match other house lighting m, then when someone set off the motion detector, it blasts them with that ugly 5000k bright white for however long you select. I like it.
Do you have a link for that?

GSMarquis

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well.....when ever you hear a fart do you not look and try to see who did it?