Attempted B&E - what security system do you recommend

RWDM3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
last security system i had was the Fortress Alarm System.
but it was crap, all sensors were wireless, which is fine,but it never alerted me if a battery was low or dead, 25% of the time i would open the door and forget to turn off alarm and it didnt even come on.
it had a sim card in it and it called/texted when alerted, but it called / texted one number at time, so by the time it texted and called one person it was like 2 minutes wasted.

im looking for something reliable for a business.
would need 1-2 motion sensors (1 for office 1 for shop)
8 door sensors
the main system
would like it to connect via wifi and sim (so the call has a backup)
also would like it to notify me when batteries are low on either of the sensors
and would like to know if there is a door open (i.e. if a door not closed, system wont activate, or will warn me)

RWDM3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
really, noone?
i figured this would be a hot topic

Reaction score
The alarm side of this forum does not get much traction.

See this thread for a few recommendations.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
My two cents is stick to a wired only system. That can be connected to the internet and have a GSM connection as well for monitoring. WiFi systems can be compromised fairly easily and as the availability, and popularity, of jamming devices grows will be more easily compromised.

Reaction score
I hardwired 16+ devices (window/door contacts, glass break detectors, Bosch Tri blue LED motion detectors) and purchased a DSC 1832 system.
Re-enforce your front door would be my first step and rather economical: new security strike plate with 3" long screws type of thing.

SamM

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi

Lightsys 2 is a hybrid. Both 32 zone wired and wireless.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
My two cents is stick to a wired only system. That can be connected to the internet and have a GSM connection as well for monitoring. WiFi systems can be compromised fairly easily and as the availability, and popularity, of jamming devices grows will be more easily compromised.
Risco systems detect and alarm on jamming, at least the older ones used to. I have an older Risco system. Sometimes I think it turns itself off, it is old after all, but apart from that very occassionally, it's been very reliable. It telephones my cell instantly if triggered, the alarm is loud, the PIR's are reliable (I bought the pet ones for a little more insect resistance), and if a PIR battery is low, it warns you on the panel and won't let you set the alarm until fixed (although you can bypass the zone to allow this). Some may see that as a negative, however, it forces you to take action. I personally keep a supply of Spare PIR batteries in stock. I have a panic button and remote setting control both of which are fully portable. I'd also imagine there are improvements to the newer systems such as the one SamM is suggesting. My system is over 10 yrs old.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Some of the wired systems I installed 30 years ago are still operating with no problems, too. Given how easily RF jamming can be done, on a very broad spectrum, even relying on GSM/cell technology has its risks. I'm not saying that the general, run of the mill, burglar will go to that kind of trouble but Murphy always gets into the mix eventually.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
as Holbs mentioned, dsc power series, plus ethernet envisalink communicator. Hard wiring should be no problem in commercial locations (gypsum, drop ceilings, glue cables in open spaces)