Attempting to enable Telnet on a IPC 18 M V2.0 (Hi3516) IP Camera Board

bxdobs

n3wb
Reaction score
Does the unpacker that you used to create the 16MB image allow for making changes to the content and rebuild the image? I attempted to create the pkg file in Ubuntu but it doesn't create the same filesize ... so ... not sure if: the new pkg file has the entire content of the original ... OR ... if the default settings for building the pkg file are different from the original JFFS2 pkg file ... or ... some other issue

Basically would like to just replace the /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow files

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Basically would like to just replace the /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow files
There are several ways you could attempt this :

Easiest - if you can get to a root shell, use "echo" to created the needed files, pasting the content in via PuTTY.
Try adding just
init=/bin/sh
to the bootargs bootloader variable to boot to a root shell.
From what you tried earlier, the kernel objects to any additional parameters such as "single".

You could also try replacing passwd and shadow in the mounted jffs2 romfs image.
Then umount it, carve out the correct-sized chunk from the mtdblock it resided in, and use the "sf" commands in the bootloader to erase/write it to the romfs partition. Carefully.

holiday

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
hi.. may i know what vendor / model of this camera is this camera maybe a pic will do as well.

it can go on the naughty list so that people can avoid it.

bxdobs

n3wb
Reaction score
This is a WANSCAM HW0045 ($200+) purchased from an Aliexpress Vendor (Wanscam photo: Wanscam HW0045 HD 1080P PTZ 5X Zoom Hi3516C ONVIF X Dome P2P WiFi IP Camera - Dome IP Camera - Shenzhen Wanscam Technology Co.Ltd)

This model has been discontinued ... there are a number of brands (not just WANSCAM) that appear to be using these hi3518 processors on their camera motherboards. Basically, it would appear that many camera manufacturers are using the same building blocks but just change the packaging and labels.

So far, I have confirmed and replaced a failed motor control board ($50) from Wanscam (not the motherboard), and tried several Binary files from WANSCAM Support in attempts to get this camera working ... my current assessment is that WANSCAM's autofocus feature is not working properly on this camera ... WANSCAM Support has provided instructions on how to get the camera to relearn its focus points but possibly due to language translation, I still have been unable to get this camera to focus ... further, all requests of support to provide an option to turn OFF the autofocus has fallen on deaf or language challenged ears.

To be fair, regardless of not providing a solution, WANSCAM has continued to respond to ALL my support requests for this camera.

From my perspective, the major issue was with both Aliexpress and the Vendor who state they won't honor a standard 1 year warranty ... the Vendor claims they only warranty 90 days which wasn't clear when this purchase was made and Aliexpress doesn't get involved with purchases after 90 days ... this camera failed somewhere around 100 days.

WANSCAM support may have a language translation issue based on the way my detailed questions have been addressed/answered which has notably added to my frustration.

holiday

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@bxdobs
Thanks .. this wanscam seems to be a ripoff . Getting any support from china seems to be a pain.

I have a similar look alike.. same casing but internals may be different as it is using a MC500L module.

Anyway take it as a lesson learnt.... when i buy these type of cameras on aliexpress, i look at how many orders they had for that model and the customer reviews for some kind of indication of whether to expect any trouble. Usually people who come back to them for repeat purchase is a good sign.