Audio Settings

Burt25

n3wb
Reaction score
I need some advice on audio settings to get best possible sound quality the audio is currently set to 64kbps g.711 u-law, but I don't know what this means in terms of quality? I read that this is only 8 Bit is that correct? Would 16 Bit PCM provide better sound? (I'm using a PTZ camera to record church services and the sound is being fed from a mixer amp to the camera)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I need some advice on audio settings to get best possible sound quality the audio is currently set to 64kbps g.711 u-law, but I don't know what this means in terms of quality? I read that this is only 8 Bit is that correct? Would 16 Bit PCM provide better sound? (I'm using a PTZ camera to record church services and the sound is being fed from a mixer amp to the camera)
You will never get great audio from an ip camera...lets start with the model of the camera you are using.

Burt25

n3wb
Reaction score
Its a Dahua SD59230T-HN 2MP IP Camera which has audio input - I have taken a mono feed to it so that the video and audio come into Blue Iris in one stream. I have a little delay in the audio at present and a little distortion, but I think the distortion is a settings / gain issue? Am I better taking the audio into the PC separately and using the audio capture settings in Blue Iris or will the delay be more difficult to control?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Its a Dahua SD59230T-HN 2MP IP Camera which has audio input - I have taken a mono feed to it so that the video and audio come into Blue Iris in one stream. I have a little delay in the audio at present and a little distortion, but I think the distortion is a settings / gain issue? Am I better taking the audio into the PC separately and using the audio capture settings in Blue Iris or will the delay be more difficult to control?
You will need to adjust the gain in the camera settings....as far as the delay, you can adjust this...see the delay setting in the video tab.

Burt25

n3wb
Reaction score
Is taking the sound through the camera the best approach or should I take the feed into the PC and use 'enable audio capture'?

Burt25

n3wb
Reaction score
Is taking the sound through the camera the best approach or should I take the feed into the PC and use 'enable audio capture'? I assume theres no scientific way to determine the delay?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Is taking the sound through the camera the best approach or should I take the feed into the PC and use 'enable audio capture'? I assume theres no scientific way to determine the delay?
Probably direct to pc...

Burt25

n3wb
Reaction score
Is taking the sound through the camera the best approach?
I assume there's no scientific way to determine the delay amount?

- - - Updated - - -

Ive tried this and the audio is actually ahead of the video, so I assume no way to correct that?

Burt25

n3wb
Reaction score
Ive still got a delay problem even after trying different delay settings for the video - the delay seems to come and go during recording. I switched resolution from 1080p to 720p and I think it has solved it, but is there any way for me to keep 1080 resolution and sync the video? Is this a buffering issue?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ive still got a delay problem even after trying different delay settings for the video - the delay seems to come and go during recording. I switched resolution from 1080p to 720p and I think it has solved it, but is there any way for me to keep 1080 resolution and sync the video? Is this a buffering issue?
Seems to be a bandwidth issue, how is the camera connected to your network?

Burt25

n3wb
Reaction score
Seems to be a bandwidth issue, how is the camera connected to your network?
It is connected via CAT6 cable into a POE Switch and then into a Pentium i7 Laptop.
I was wondering if I utilised the camera's onboard Micro-SD storage would this be a better solution? Do you know if I can map this as a network drive and save to it from Blue Iris?