Auto switch to USB 4G dongle if Ethernet broadband not working?

Ishaq Mir

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
hi

I'm currently using a dedicated Dell Optiplex for Blue Iris, which is connected to my virgin media hub via Ethernet.

I'm thinking of a backup method in case an intruder cuts the external cable wire or the internet service goes down, I won't get any alerts or have access to the system.

I would like Windows 10 to realise that there is no internet connectivity on the Ethernet connection and auto switch to the 4G USB dongle.

I am aware that connection priority/order can be set under Advanced Settings of the Network Sharing option, but my scenario here is that the actual Ethernet connection will still be active as the router will still be functioning, it's just the actual internet that would be down. Will windows still switch to 4G dongle? And then switch back to Ethernet once full connectivity is restored?

Thanks

Ishaq Mir

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I don't think the virgin media super hub (latest model) has any option for a SIM card.

I'm not sure how I can configure another router with it that supports a SIM card? May be I could switch the virgin media super hub into modem only mode and purchase a wireless router/switch that has SIM card option as backup?

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
check cradlepoint router. It has automatic failover capability. (and failback) They're pricey, tho.