Auto Tracking Pets with Dahua

Michael James

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Camera: Loryta Outdoor 2MP Starlight 25X Optical Zoom IR PTZ Smart AI IP Camera Support Auto-Tracking, Perimeter Protection ,PoE+ ,Face Detection,Smart Capture ,SD49225XA-HNR

Issue: Trying to get it to track animals (130 lb newfoundland dog)

It appears the camera sees the dog and puts a light blue rectangle around it. But it wont actually move the camera, nor will it zoom in on the dog. But the rectangle stays around the dog as my dog moves but when the dog moves off camera it wont follow or zoom in on. On a rare occasion the box will change to red and zoom in for a few seconds then back out again immediately.

Any tweaks I can try? I'm using 2 different intrusion rules..1 for people and 1 for dogs

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is one of the complaints about the AI in the cameras as they are designed for their target audience, which is triggering for humans and vehicles. There are some tricks that may work, but it won't be consisent.

cctv-dave

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That is one of the complaints about the AI in the cameras as they are designed for their target audience, which is triggering for humans and vehicles.
In earlier firmware it was better at tracking animals and it was considered a bug and was fixed for the reasons you give.
There are some custom solutions for tracking certain four legged animals but dont hold your breath for it coming en mass.
He'd be better off teaching the dog to walk stood up!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In earlier firmware it was better at tracking animals and it was considered a bug and was fixed for the reasons you give.
There are some custom solutions for tracking certain four legged animals but dont hold your breath for it coming en mass.
He'd be better off teaching the dog to walk stood up!
Yeah, my one neighbor has this one with AI and my other neighbor has one without AI.

The one with AI wanted to be able to track his dog, so they swapped and both are happy. The neighbor with the non-AI one that only wanted to track cars and people now get that and the neighbor that had the AI one that wanted to track dogs now can since they swapped LOL. One could probably buy this one and flash it with the non-AI firmware provided the chipset isn't different.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

GeoffColl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That's interesting, you have a blue rectangle around the dog. I can't get that using dahua software - but I do if I go through BI.

I prefer the camera to do the 'heavy lifting' - and I have the same issue in that the cameras don't
PTZ for animals. Just had a pheasant walk boldly in front of one of mine (it's 2 feet above the ground) - It triggered
but didn't PTZ.

Have you managed any solution?

Mine are Dahua : 225XA & 425XB

Michael James

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's interesting, you have a blue rectangle around the dog. I can't get that using dahua software - but I do if I go through BI.

I prefer the camera to do the 'heavy lifting' - and I have the same issue in that the cameras don't
PTZ for animals. Just had a pheasant walk boldly in front of one of mine (it's 2 feet above the ground) - It triggered
but didn't PTZ.

Have you managed any solution?

Mine are Dahua : 225XA & 425XB
no. I was looking for an easy answer

GeoffColl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Obviously can be done with Dahua cameras.....https://internationalsecurityjournal.com/dahua-wildlife-in-china/

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
See the posts I linked - it is all about having firmware without AI in it....

GeoffColl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks. Did see that, but I don't imagine Dahua flash their own cams when they use them themselves for wildlife monitoring; do they? 

:idk:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
They simply do what we do and not update the firmware LOL.

Or maybe they are using a model that doesn't have AI. There are plenty of dahua cameras without AI that will trigger on wildlife, or a leaf or a shadow LOL.

Look at my neighbors in the example above - one had the model version without AI and the other had a model with AI, so they swapped and both became happy.

GeoffColl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ah, but mine triggered on the pheasant well enough, but didn't do any ptz'ing.

Plenty of experimenting needed.

GeoffColl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That's already enabled, but I'm still pondering, though at the moment I have another issue!