Auto tracking with PTZ1A225-HNR-GB

taprackbang

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Got the PTZ1A225-HNR-GB from Andy a few days ago and have it all hooked up and running. Currently using autotracking via a IVS intrusion rule that covers the whole viewing area and it works well for humans and vehicles. Just curious if that’s the only method of autotracking or if I’m missing out on a alternate setup. Would like it to track other items (wildlife, bikes, etc) if available, so just making sure I’m not missing out on something. Also, which setting do I need to change to have it auto zoom more when tracking?

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is all it will track.

Depending on your GUI it will be called track ratio or track size ratio or target ratio, something along those lines. The higher the number, the larger the zoom, but the easier it is to lose tracking.

Default is 25, most start at 40 and go from there.

taprackbang

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok. I thought the ratio might be it.

What about it jumping from vehicle to human tracking? Like when someone pulls in and then gets out of the vehicle. Is it smart enough to switch or is there a setting to prioritize one over the other? I’ve already noticed a couple instances of it missing a person after they exited their vehicle.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It would be nice if it worked that way, but nope not the way it works.

It is based on the initial "tracking signature" of the object it first tracks, so if it is the car first, that is what it tracks.

That doesn't mean it won't track a person if they jump out of the car fast enough and are still within the "box" of the item it was tracking, but that is totally hit or miss.

The only way to do that would be with fixed cams as a spotter cam that redirects the PTZ to a preset at that location set to human tracking and then it takes over from there.

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would assume it would track animals with your setup. My SD4A425 and SD49225's track deer, dogs, cows, and racoons pretty well. I have human and vehicles checked. Don't remember size settings right off hand. Night time with IR is not as good.
Thanks to wittaj, setting up spotter cams was a breeze. Last night one of the spotters called a PTZ to a deer that was near the PTZ and she shot out like a scalded ape.

Last edited:

taprackbang

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a fixed cam, but it doesn’t have any ai on board. So, if I’m understanding correctly, that’s not going to be much help.

edit-reading over the linked thread. Thanks.

Last edited:

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sorry! I was assuming you were using Blueiris, That's where the spotters come into play.
I like the looks of your new toy. For some reason I had thought it had to be mounted with the camera ball up, as that was the only photos that I had seen before. Keep us informed of how it performs.

taprackbang

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry! I was assuming you were using Blueiris, That's where the spotters come into play.
I like the looks of your new toy. For some reason I had thought it had to be mounted with the camera ball up, as that was the only photos that I had seen before. Keep us informed of how it performs.
I have BI. I really like frigate and have been using it , but will probably go back to BI…especially if it brings the functionality I want.

taprackbang

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Finally got around to setting BI back up and spent some time setting up zones and triggers for the differ zones. Will wait and see how reliable they are. Have a couple questions though.

Can anyone elaborate on the settings that are under the PTZ/presets settings that I’ve highlighted in the pic?

Next question, can the camera have a onvif request to track either a human or vehicle? For instance, if the spotter could get areply back from AI server fast enough to identify the object, could it then move PTZ to a preset and request it to track either a human or a vehicle. My guess is nah…..but figured I’d ask.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The override motion zones are for the presets and setting up multiple BI motion zones based on field of view, but with a tracking camera, it doesn't make much sense given the field of view is always changing so no need to check that, especially if you are not using BI motion but ONVIF triggers.

The cancel alert when active means it won't keep hitting you with alerts because it is following a person for 2 minutes or however long you have it set to track.

Override AI to confirm means it won't wait for AI and will continue as normal.

Your question is exactly what the spotter cam feature does. The fixed cam sees an object and based on either AI in the camera or BI AI, if the object meets the criteria, it triggers the PTZ to move to a preset.

taprackbang

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The override motion zones are for the presets and setting up multiple BI motion zones based on field of view, but with a tracking camera, it doesn't make much sense given the field of view is always changing so no need to check that, especially if you are not using BI motion but ONVIF triggers.

The cancel alert when active means it won't keep hitting you with alerts because it is following a person for 2 minutes or however long you have it set to track.

Override AI to confirm means it won't wait for AI and will continue as normal.

Your question is exactly what the spotter cam feature does. The fixed cam sees an object and based on either AI in the camera or BI AI, if the object meets the criteria, it triggers the PTZ to move to a preset.
Very good. So if I want BI AI to trigger the PTZ I can have either motion or AI via the spotter to trigger that preset call. Correct?

If you don’t mind, I’ll probably grab some screenshots later and show more of what I have setup to see if my logic is right and things are correct or need tweaking. I did it a bit different than the thread you linked to.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is correct.

That thread I linked is a little dated and the BI screens and options have changed, but the general intent to get it started is the same, but BI now has way more options than then!

taprackbang

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That is correct.

That thread I linked is a little dated and the BI screens and options have changed, but the general intent to get it started is the same, but BI now has way more options than then!
I used immediate actions (or something like that) on the trigger tab. Just want to make sure I’m understanding things right so I can set things up optimally.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah so now if you are using BI AI instead of the camera AI, you would instead move the trigger to the alert tab and have it trigger based on BI AI confirming.

taprackbang

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I think I understand the min/max setting on the camera. But the pixel setting seems redundant. Anyone able to enlighten me on the three settings?

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you are using the AI, it is best to leave the min size at 0,0 and max at full screen and let AI do it's thing. Only add a minimum size if it is false triggering on a dog thinking it is a person.

The pixel setting is used to draw a box around an object if needing to find a min size.

taprackbang

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you are using the AI, it is best to leave the min size at 0,0 and max at full screen and let AI do it's thing. Only add a minimum size if it is false triggering on a dog thinking it is a person.

The pixel setting is used to draw a box around an object if needing to find a min size.
That all makes sense. Appreciate it.

taprackbang

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I changed the PTZ to be called after the spotter confirmed the objected via AI rather than on just on motion. The PTZ moved as expected but then the AI on the camera does not track. It just stays at that location and then goes back to the home preset…any ideas?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is the preset that it moves to set up with SmartPlan IVS rules?

Have you given the camera enough time to "Settle" into that position? You need to give the PTZ a second or two at that field of view to "setup", so if it swings to the preset such that the object is well within the field of view, it may miss it.

See this thread on how it should work where the PTZ moves to a spot just ahead of where the object will be:

taprackbang

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is the preset that it moves to set up with SmartPlan IVS rules?

Have you given the camera enough time to "Settle" into that position? You need to give the PTZ a second or two at that field of view to "setup", so if it swings to the preset such that the object is well within the field of view, it may miss it.

See this thread on how it should work where the PTZ moves to a spot just ahead of where the object will be:

Oh, I’m a dipstick. I have rules for the other presets, but yup, I bet that’s it’s. Will fix that. Much appreciated!