Automatic export of alert video snippet

techcanuck

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm wondering if it's possible to have BI backup/ftp to a NAS or cloud storage *only* a short video snippet (say, 1 minute) of an alert. Basically I want instead of a JPG (which it can do today) a short video clip.

I can see this being possible if I have record set to "when triggered" and then queue the entire clip to convert and backup to ftp. But, what if I am recording continuously? I don't want to backup/ftp the entire 2 hour clip (I auto trim every 2 hours). Is this a wishlist feature?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

techcanuck

n3wb
Reaction score
Just to add some context, where I'm going with this is to have a cloud backup in case someone were to break in while on vacation and steals the BI computer.

I wouldn't want to pay for terabytes of cloud storage and backup continuous video, but if I only backup a 1 minute clip for each alert, that would be realistic.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Just to add some context, where I'm going with this is to have a cloud backup in case someone were to break in while on vacation and steals the BI computer.

I wouldn't want to pay for terabytes of cloud storage and backup continuous video, but if I only backup a 1 minute clip for each alert, that would be realistic.

You can do this by cloning the camera.
Cloud backup is for suckers. It also wont work if the internet is down or the line is cut. There are much more reliable and better ways to accomplish this. First, if you cameras support SD card, install them. Second you can hide a small nas somewhere in the house and record 24/7 there as well. Third, for true redundancy you can hide another BI instance or a small NVR.

hltljohn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not sure if this is would work for you, but I send myself an email with an attached MP4. This is setup under alerts. It only allows a 30 second video, but usually captures all I need. The email server then has a copy offline, and I can retrieve from anywhere.

techcanuck

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the options. I don't think I will be setting up a second BI copy, but the email mp4 might be a good alternative for when I go away. I'm surprised that this functionality is missing given how flexible the program is with everything else. I would think exporting an alert video would go hand-in-hand with saving a jpg snapshot, just like it has in the email option.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You can add each camera again as a duplicate with a different name and different recording options. This can be a bit of a clutter in the interface, but it is fairly efficient since BI is smart enough to not decode the incoming streams more than once.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You can add each camera again as a duplicate with a different name and different recording options. This can be a bit of a clutter in the interface, but it is fairly efficient since BI is smart enough to not decode the incoming streams more than once.
hiding the camera removes the clutter.

techcanuck

n3wb
Reaction score
Ah, that would work! Didn't know you can add the same camera twice. But yeah, the 2nd copy would be recording only on trigger and I can make that backup to ftp. Thanks guys