Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have a Dahua - DHI-NVR5224-24P-4KS2 and the current version below:

Hardware Version - V1.0

System Version - V4.000.0000000.1

Build Date - 09-08-2019

Web Version - V3.2.7.118768

Security Baseline Version V2.0

There is an update on the Dahua site seen below which was released 08-08-2022 but I am reluctant to update via USB as it bricked my other NVR?

DH_NVR5XXX-4KS2_MultiLang_V4.002.0000000.5.R.220729

Can anyone help?

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Are you checking via the browser or directly from the NVR (using mouse and monitor)?
I have a uniarch NVR that would report no update available when I checked via the web browser and then the other day I just happened to check it directly from the NVR and there was an update available.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The Italians having a Proverb, ‘He that deceives me once, its his fault; but if twice, its my fault."

You have been burned once bricking an NVR, so why risk it?

You really need to be asking yourself why are you updating? If it is just for grins and giggles or OCD behavior to be running the latest firmware, think twice.

A common theme around here is don't fix what ain't broke. If the unit is working and meets your needs, in many instances an update breaks what you had working and provides you with something you didn't need or bricks the camera. In most instances, updates are simply security vulnerability patches (usually years after the breach was found), but since we do not give our cameras internet access, the update is useless to us.

Unless the release notes specifically mention it fixing a problem you are experiencing, more than likely it won't fix an issue and may make the unit worse by removing functionality.

I am not sure about that camera firmware, but Hikvision has been preventing some firmware from being downgraded, so if it removes something you want, you will be out luck.

Here are issues I have seen people report here where they were upgrading just for the sake of upgrading:
  • A Dahua Z12E that someone updated and then constantly reboots comes to mind.
  • The Dahua 49225 and 49425 PTZ that loses autotracking with an update come to mind.
  • The Hikvision DS-2DEA425IW-DW PTZ that loses autotracking with an update comes to mind.
  • A Hikvision ANPR camera losing half the FPS and loses the ability to read US plates - those are big deals to have happen.
  • A Hikvision ANPR DS-2CD4A26FWD camera that lost all ability to read plates - kinda makes the camera useless.
  • A Hikvision camera that the user lost ability to control the LED light function at night.
  • Hikvision DS-7616NI-Q2 NVR that has the APIs changed.
  • A Hikvision wifi camera that loses the ability to use wifi after a firmware update.
  • DH-DB61 Doorbell that loses API functionality.
  • Hikvision iVM4200 v3.8 - loses the free ability to use the computer as storage.
  • Dahua IPC-HFW1320S that started phoning home using 60MB/hr and costing someone thousands of dollars in data overages.
  • Dahua 5442 that will not allow playback of the SD card.
  • Countless other instances where the camera or NVR simply bricked and became useless.
  • Countless examples where the camera or NVR went into Chinese.
Don't do it unless it is fixing a problem you are experiencing or adds a feature you really need.

Further, it is best to obtain any firmware updates from the vendor you purchased it from so that you do not run into issues. Any firmware you find here or elsewhere is obviously proceed at your own risk. We have many threads here where someone tried an update with a firmware they found on the internet and bricked their unit.

Many units being sold are Chinese hacked units into English that will either brick or go into Chinese upon updating. Some vendors will be upfront and tell consumers that as part of their website, but many do not or the consumer forgets