Awesome Forums - Interested in Your Thoughts...

TropDayz

n3wb
Reaction score
I have been testing and reviewing webcams for several years - primarily WiFi, residential models - each requiring using their own app, etc.

I write reviews for Vine, and have for a few years, so I have a plethora of cameras / POE switches / NVRs / cables / routers / etc.

I plan on moving in the next 10-11 months to another state and at that time I am going to completely redo my camera system.

I have been researching Blue Iris and thus far it seems the best all around software to use.

Here are some questions I have:

What brand cameras has everyone had the best luck with? I will be looking for pan / tilt / zoom - some outdoor / some indoor. I prefer POE for security reasons but can VPN if necessary.

I have a AMD 9 3900X, 32GB with GeForce GTX 1660 Ti that I work on all the time but I also have a HP Compaq Elite 8300 Ultra-Slim Desktop that is not being used which could be devoted solely to the security system. Which would be preferable?

I use a Synology DS1019+ - is it worth using this for security storage or does it make more sense to store within a separate system all together?

Since I’m not on a time crunch and am looking at the potential of putting a system together prior to moving - where are the best places to shop in terms of quality products at the best prices?

I appreciate any thoughts you may have...

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is very easy to block jam WiFi. I would never recommend Wifi for any security or surveillance application. Hardwired alarm system and hardwired cameras.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. As others have stated, read the WIKI and the Cliff Notes.

Most folks here that use BI have either Dahua or Hikvision. I personally have 19 Dahua cams on my BI server and a couple of WIFI cams that I bought BEFORE I came to this forum. They go offline several times a day. WIFI for cams is not recommended.

A dedicated machine for BI is recommended. Info on this is in the Cliff Notes. Some folks do store their feeds on a NAS, but I prefer to store all my cam feeds on the BI server. Less LAN traffic issues and it does not tie up my NAS.

I have bought all of my Dahua cams from @EMPIRETECANDY who is a member here. He has an Amazon store front and an Aliexpress store front but I just send him an email and ask for price and availability and get them in about a week or less. Email is kingsecurity2014@163.com

TropDayz

n3wb
Reaction score
I wanted to thank each of you for your responses. This was EXACTLY the data I hoped to gather.

I am a bit of a nerd and tend to research this type of thing for months prior to deciding on exactly the direction I want to proceed.

Due to my business I‘ve written about and helped advertise WiFi cameras for the last 10 years so I have around 35 of them - the bulk still sitting in boxes. I knew once we moved to FL I wasn’t going to use that technology but was unclear as to what I would use.

Since we won’t be moving for a year I am primarily researching now and working up rough ideas on products I will need. Since technology is constantly evolving it certainly doesn’t make sense for me to prepurchase many of these items as in a year there most likely will be better or the current models will be cheaper.

The SouthernYankee.pdf, WiKi and Cliff Notes has been incredibly helpful - each of which I have downloaded onto my tablet where I was able to highlight and take my own side notes.

My process takes a while but I‘ve found it’s the key to my ending up with systems I’m most happy with and not regretting going in different directions.