Axis cameras and major packet loss issues

Reaction score
Hi all,

I installed 2 AXIS P1427-LE 4mp security cameras at my house. I had been having issues with one of the two cameras stop recording and will not allow me to log into the web interface. It requires a reboot to get it to begin responding again.

I have been troubleshooting with AXIS and they noticed, via the debug files, that both cameras are displaying large packet loss. He things that it is this loss and repair that is causing the camera to run out of memory, causing it to lock up.

Not sure why one camera is responding this way, while the other keeps chugging along, but that is beside the point. I am confused as to what could be causing the major packet loss.

Both cameras are installed by the garage. I have a gigabit network set up, mostly running CAT7 cable. The cameras are routed via CAT5e cable from the camera to a POE injector, then to a switch, then to a line that runs to the main network closet patch panel, though another switch and finally to the router. From there, it goes to a QNAP NAS for recording.

I have tried changing everything up - I don't think it is the network cable from the camera to the POE injector, as having 2 bad cords would be highly unlikely. But, more on that in a bit. I have swapped out the switch in the garage, switched to the 2nd of 2 lines running from the garage to the main network panel, I bypassed the switch in the network panel and went straight into the router and even swapped the router with another of the same model (Asus RT-AC87R/U) just to rule out a defective router. I also just hooked up a 3rd camera (same make/model as the other 2) about 7 feet from the main network closet so that I could test without using any of the common pathways from the garage and also to rule out bad cable from the original 2 cameras to the POE injector. That camera is displaying the same packet loss as the other 2, and that one is running directly from the camera, through a POE and right into the ASUS router.

I also tried reducing video quality and frame rate, but it didn't get any better. I have confirmed that all cameras, router and NAS are all running the most current firmware.

So, I don't know what the issue could be, but I really want to fix the issue. Does anyone have any thoughts or any tests I can perform to try and isolate the issue? AXIS wants to hold off and see how the cameras perform over the weekend, but I think they are at just as big a loss as I am currently.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@David L. Gelb Welcome to the forum. Have you tired a hard reset of the camera? If you unplug the working camera do you still get packet loss on the other?

Reaction score
@fenderman - Thank you! All 3 cameras are experiencing packet loss at about the same rate. I have hard reset all cameras several times. I have not tried unplugging one, but as I mentioned, they are all showing the same amount of loss, so it leads me to believe there is something else that may be contributing to the issue...but I am not sure.

Thank you for the help!! :)

-David

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@fenderman - Thank you! All 3 cameras are experiencing packet loss at about the same rate. I have hard reset all cameras several times. I have not tried unplugging one, but as I mentioned, they are all showing the same amount of loss, so it leads me to believe there is something else that may be contributing to the issue...but I am not sure.

Thank you for the help!! :)

-David
test them one at a time...does the packet loss manifest itself in the image? stutter, dropped frames etc?
If you have another router to use for testing, i would try that as well.

Reaction score
I don't really see the packet loss manifesting itself in the image (although the cameras run at 12 fps, so there may be a little stutter that is masked by the low frame rate). Yes, I will try a Linksys router to rule out the ASUS router as the issue and I will test the cameras one at a time.

Right now, I am relying on Axis to let me know if/how many packets are being lost. Is there an easy tool I can use to test for packet loss? I have a lot of computer experience, but not a ton of networking experience.

Thanks!

NVR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Since everything was tried, you can test different ports.

NVR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
One other thing to try is ensure QOS is turned off in the router, or if its on its providing the highest priority to the protocol your cameras are on. Wont hurt to check.

Heres a clicp

NVR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't really see the packet loss manifesting itself in the image (although the cameras run at 12 fps, so there may be a little stutter that is masked by the low frame rate). Yes, I will try a Linksys router to rule out the ASUS router as the issue and I will test the cameras one at a time.

Right now, I am relying on Axis to let me know if/how many packets are being lost. Is there an easy tool I can use to test for packet loss? I have a lot of computer experience, but not a ton of networking experience.

Thanks!
Heres a simple guide on how to detect packet loss using ping and trace route commands.

https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Tools_and_Troubleshooting/Troubleshooting_packet_loss_between_devices