AXIS thermal network cameras

Please enter the name by

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
~3 Floors above the Ground and to detect some move require much light.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Ah, you can do IR from 3 floors up but it would take strong light and you won't necessarily recognize a person by the top of their head anyway.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The power cost are not that easy. Even in the Winter when its long very dark the Power cost are rising up.
yes, 10-15w for 8-10 hours a day is going to cost a fortune...:banghead:....so instead of spending 5-10 dollars a year in power costs, you are going to spend hundreds on a thermal camera that cant see very well at all?? Think it through..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
in total who include the loss of the power supply?
Now its 06:00 and its get realy dark and the sun is high enough at ~06:00 there are 12h.
in total...most use even less...
so 12 hours...who cares..what is a thermal camera going to do for you?

Please enter the name by

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
what is a thermal camera going to do for you?
The benefit it detect anything who produce head (even in camo cloth) at day and night and there is quite no way to hide for the typical criminal.
The huge problem with IR is the criminal pick there smarthone and looking for IR Light if someone have it the like to break in because the think there is something to catch.
An typical Home invasion take ~2Min to max 5 and if the are insane 10 where no Police could arrive. We have 3 Boarders where who can get there at <60min by Car!

Thats why a Thermal is good to overview the hole Garden with the Fence and if someone jump over or even is near the fece the System can make an Silent Alarm where I can call the Police.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The benefit it detect anything who produce head (even in camo cloth) at day and night and there is quite no way to hide for the typical criminal.
The huge problem with IR is the criminal pick there smarthone and looking for IR Light if someone have it the like to break in because the think there is something to catch.
An typical Home invasion take ~2Min to max 5 and if the are insane 10 where no Police could arrive. We have 3 Boarders where who can get there at <60min by Car!

Thats why a Thermal is good to overview the hole Garden with the Fence and if someone jump over or even is near the fece the System can make an Silent Alarm where I can call the Police.
Lol or you can use a pir sensor....you gonna be watching your cameras all night?

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Do PIR sensors do well with only detecting living things (aka heat & movement) vs just triggering off movement like all the wavy trees and bushes and light shifts and such that trigger my cameras often which I'd like to avoid?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Do PIR sensors do well with only detecting living things (aka heat & movement) vs just triggering off movement like all the wavy trees and bushes and light shifts and such that trigger my cameras often which I'd like to avoid?
much better than an thermal cam.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am just reading up on PIR sensors but I think it is pointless as I have HDW5231R-Z cameras and while they are nice and everyone likes them here, this model has no I/O connections so it does not look like I have the option to use PIR.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am just reading up on PIR sensors but I think it is pointless as I have HDW5231R-Z cameras and while they are nice and everyone likes them here, this model has no I/O connections so it does not look like I have the option to use PIR.
why not? you are going to run cable for a camera? so whats the difference..even if you had alarm in you would need to power the sensor...
or use zwave pir sensors...they integrate with blue iris..

Baja

n3wb
Reaction score
Admittedly off topic, but the OP brought back memories of the NetworkCameraCritic. I was lurking on the other cctv forum until he recommended this site.

I recall eagerly awaiting each of his reviews. The scope, detail and quality were unmatched until Nayr.

RIP Carl...