Backseat cameras for watching kids

MacNCheese

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Not 100% dashcam, but sort of related...

Has anyone got any clever ideas for a back seat camera for watching kids while in the car, especially when they are rear facing and you can't see them. I was thinking of all sorts of elaborate Raspberry Pi installs, but ultimately want something robust, that just works and can be powered easily without having to remember to charge it. A Raspberry Pi install would require a battery backup to safely shut down, and I don't want to leave batteries in a hot car.

The most obvious thing that came to my mind was a Yi Ants on a long cord mounted to the roof, and a portable WiFi hotspot - just have the hotspot power on when the car starts and then use the Yi Home app to keep an eye on what's happening back there.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

MacNCheese

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It's not for the fun of it, rather knowing what they are up to. I pick up my son from Day care an it's a 15 minute drive home and it's his nap time when he gets home, most of the time he falls asleep by himself. It's a real pain to get him to sleep at home and can take 30 minutes, so I want to be able to glance and see he is awake and divert around the block until he falls asleep. Mirrors were ok in our old car, but there's no where to keep them that we can see them in the new car where he can't grab them and pull them down.

We also have a new born and it's good to be able to glance down and see she is ok and the toddler hasn't thrown something over her face etc...

framednlv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't think you should be watching the kids in the back seat while driving, with or without a camera. Best thing would be to pull off the road and check on them.

MacNCheese

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It's not wathng them as such, it's flicking the eyes down for less than 1 second to check them. The same way you do when you look in the rear view mirror, or look down at the speedo.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I just cant comprehend needing a video feed on something that is literally 2 feet behind you. Especially for a 15 min drive. Must be nice, mines 45.

Why not just get the kid a cell phone so u can text eachother during the commute.
Texting whilst driving is worse than looking in the back whilst driving.

US Study: Talking to death: texts, phones kill 16,000: study

A UK study showed 6 out of 10 accidents caused by texting or calls.

Life in prison in the UK now if you kill whilst texting.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just cant comprehend needing a video feed on something that is literally 2 feet behind you. Especially for a 15 min drive. Must be nice, mines 45.

Why not just get the kid a cell phone so u can text eachother during the commute.
I agree. I have two kids and never once thought I needed this. To each their own I guess.