BackStreet-Surveillance on Youtube; Am I being toooo critical of the information he is giving?

mattp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That gain is off the scale to get the picturw that bright in my opinion. Shutter is clearly slow & gain is clearly massive causing noise & ghost effect.
Look, you're dealing with physics, ya got to do something if you don't have enough light.
Just put a sign up that says "stand very still for the camera"... That should help...In my experience criminals generally follow guidance if it's given...problem solved...

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I always enjoy reading a hot topic thread on a Friday. :headbang: If one ignores the premise of this thread for a moment.

It should be very clear the vast majority of uneducated consumers like fast.

This view is affirmed & bolstered by the tens of millions of cloud based services and P2P smartphone applications that make it easy to connect to the internal network without any kind of networking knowledge. :facepalm:

There are literally millions of Arlo, Blinks, Wyze, Ring, etc.

Why?!?

Easy slap and go installation and connectivity. The entire (consumer) alarm industry is inundated with trunk slammers that have zero skill, knowledge, technical expertise to install a wired system.

Why?!?

Easy slap & go - Peel & Stick Wireless . . .

The entire video security market is also inundated with thousands of cheap hardware as seen depicted in this thread.

Regardless if it’s wireless / wired.

As others correctly noted you can’t fight physics as it relates to light. Never mind the correct sensor / MP ratio and all other factors such as shutter speed, gain, WDR, etc etc.

I should probably be surprised that any person / company in the so called video security industry would not know, understand, apply these basic concepts during a hardware sale / deployment?!?

The DORI specification has been around for twenty plus years. A so called professional would select and install the correct video security hardware to achieve any of the DORI requirements.

On a related topic there are billions of people making videos and making lots of money doing so. The vast majority of the content is utter complete shit!

If the only metric was likes, views, shares I suppose that defines a winner?!? :rolleyes:

For years I would get calls to resolve video security and networking problems. All of these systems were installed by so called certified professionals.

Like any other industry name any. There are literally millions of people in the trades that are too stupid to live. Anytime you hear or read a person call out they are an Engineer?!?

Understand, you’re dealing with a fucken imbecile! :rolleyes:

If you hear or read a person going out of their way to qualify their title prior to asking for help - Imbecile!

Everyday I am literally surrounded by imbeciles with a degree. Yet these so called smart and educated people can’t figure out why something so simple doesn’t work?!?

These are known in the industry as Paper Tigers . . .

They have the ability to dazzle you with bull shit, remember / cram in some knowledge.

But, rarely if ever are able to trouble shoot real world problems because they lack any common sense and the ability to use basic problem solving techniques well understood by the lay person?!?

At the end of the day I don’t begrudge anyone making phat stacks. If this guy can sell Joe Nobody on cheap shit - Rock On!

Because, ultimately they will wind up here asking for help. At which point they will increase sales for other hardware vendors.

Which directly translates to lower cost and increased R&D to produce better video hardware for all of us!

Peace . . . :headbang:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I should probably be surprised that any person / company in the so called video security industry would not know, understand, apply these basic concepts during a hardware sale / deployment?!?

The DORI specification has been around for twenty plus years. A so called professional would select and install the correct video security hardware to achieve any of the DORI requirements.
Which is exactly why I questioned in my post #19 "10 minutes for a field survey" as he stated in his YT video. No way can you properly determine the exterior camera needs and placements of a house that size as in the video...the operative word being "properly."

Everyday I am literally surrounded by imbeciles with a degree. Yet these so called smart and educated people can’t figure out why something so simple doesn’t work?!?

But, rarely if ever are able to trouble shoot real world problems because they lack any common sense and the ability to use basic problem solving techniques well understood by the lay person?!?
Hence, the first line of my signature "Knowledge and wisdom don't always arrive on the same bus."

Lots of smart and capable people out there that are certified and have degrees, but just as many with the papers but can't pour pee out of a boot even if the instructions were written on the heel...they have proven they know how to take and pass some tests, that is all.

mattp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I always enjoy reading a hot topic thread on a Friday. :headbang: If one ignores the premise of this thread for a moment.

It should be very clear the vast majority of uneducated consumers like fast.

This view is affirmed & bolstered by the tens of millions of cloud based services and P2P smartphone applications that make it easy to connect to the internal network without any kind of networking knowledge. :facepalm:

There are literally millions of Arlo, Blinks, Wyze, Ring, etc.

Why?!?

Easy slap and go installation and connectivity. The entire (consumer) alarm industry is inundated with trunk slammers that have zero skill, knowledge, technical expertise to install a wired system.

Why?!?

Easy slap & go - Peel & Stick Wireless . . .

The entire video security market is also inundated with thousands of cheap hardware as seen depicted in this thread.

Regardless if it’s wireless / wired.

As others correctly noted you can’t fight physics as it relates to light. Never mind the correct sensor / MP ratio and all other factors such as shutter speed, gain, WDR, etc etc.

On a related topic there are billions of people making videos and making lots of money doing so. The vast majority of the content is utter complete shit!

If the only metric was likes, views, shares I suppose that defines a winner?!? :rolleyes:

For years I would get calls to resolve video security and networking problems. All of these systems were installed by so called certified professionals.

Like any other industry name any. There are literally millions of people in the trades that are too stupid to live. Anytime you hear or read a person call out they are an Engineer?!?

Understand, you’re dealing with a fucken imbecile! :rolleyes:

If you hear or read a person going out of their way to qualify their title prior to asking for help - Imbecile!

These are known in the industry as Paper Tigers . . .

They have the ability to dazzle you with bull shit, remember / cram in some knowledge.

At the end of the day I don’t begrudge anyone making phat stacks. If this guy can sell Joe Nobody on cheap shit - Rock On!

Because, ultimately they will wind up here asking for help. At which point they will increase sales for other hardware vendors.

Which directly translates to lower cost and increased R&D to produce better video hardware for all of us!

I read your post, and I'm an engineer...I bet you're one of those people who also believes the earth is round...

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Which is exactly why I questioned in my post #19 "10 minutes for a field survey" as he stated in his YT video. No way can you properly determine the exterior camera needs and placements of a house that size as in the video...the operative word being "properly."

Hence, the first line of my signature "Knowledge and wisdom don't always arrive on the same bus."

Lots of smart and capable people out there that are certified and have degrees, but just as many with the papers but can't pour pee out of a boot even if the instructions were written on the heel...they have proven they know how to take and pass some tests, that is all.
Never heard that boot analogy! :lmao:

Regardless, I don’t want anyone who stumbles upon this thread and my reply in ten years to misunderstand the context or my meaning.

As it relates to Engineers . . .

The engineering field is vast and covers many industries, trades, disciplines. Unfortunately, this specific phrase (I’m an engineer) is almost always called out in millions of threads and discussions prior to asking for help or offering their insight?!? :smash:

I’ve never heard, seen, experienced a person in other trades or business applications where a person goes out of their way to call out I’m a farmer, welder, insert any profession as consistent as a engineer.

It’s not to say you don’t see it called out in some instances. But, the vast majority do so to provide context if asked or to provide a level of authority given the subject matter being discussed.

Ultimately, if a person offering information provided is factual and rooted in science and well tested in the real world. That normally indicates and affirms the information is accurate, sound, and correct.

Given, it’s 2024 everyone has the ability to ask and receive information pertinent to a specific topic.

Google and the Internet makes it quite easy to find information that is relevant, useful, and fact based.

This specific forum (IPC) was created by avid users to help everyone spanning DIY, Prosumers, to Professionals.

The mission statement is to provide information, insight, and guidance to achieve the best video security experience.

If the negative information is true regarding this specific company. I would think it would be a good time to sit down and read the million threads on this site!

A good business person would try to take the negative criticism seriously. Move forward by implementing the most basic of site audit, DORI, correct installation, and fine tune the system in all lighting conditions.

Complete the 5-30-90 day review process to resolve any issues / out of band problems.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Never heard that boot analogy! :lmao:

Regardless, I don’t want anyone who stumbles upon this thread and my reply in ten years to misunderstand the context or my meaning.

As it relates to Engineers . . .

The engineering field is vast and covers many industries, trades, disciplines. Unfortunately, this specific phrase (I’m an engineer) is almost always called out in millions of threads and discussions prior to asking for help or offering their insight?!? :smash:

I’ve never heard, seen, experienced a person in other trades or business applications where a person goes out of their way to call out I’m a farmer, welder, insert any profession as consistent as a engineer.

It’s not to say you don’t see it called out in some instances. But, the vast majority do so to provide context if asked or to provide a level of authority given the subject matter being discussed.

Ultimately, if a person offering information provided is factual and rooted in science and well tested in the real world. That normally indicates and affirms the information is accurate, sound, and correct.

Given, it’s 2024 everyone has the ability to ask and receive information pertinent to a specific topic.

Google and the Internet makes it quite easy to find information that is relevant, useful, and fact based.

This specific forum (IPC) was created by avid users to help everyone spanning DIY, Prosumers, to Professionals.

The mission statement is to provide information, insight, and guidance to achieve the best video security experience.

If the negative information is true regarding this specific company. I would think it would be a good time to sit down and read the million threads on this site!

A good business person would try to take the negative criticism seriously. Move forward by implementing the most basic of site audit, DORI, correct installation, and fine tune the system in all lighting conditions.

Complete the 5-30-90 day review process to resolve any issues / out of band problems.

I just appreciate your use of the enter key and not putting all of that, or your previous post, into a single block of text.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just appreciate your use of the enter key and not putting all of that, or your previous post, into a single block of text.
Don't ya just love trying to decipher those that will type 15-20 lines full of words, no caps, all lowercase, no periods, commas or other pertinent punctuation, all seemingly in one paragraph? :facepalm:

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Don't ya just love trying to decipher those that will type 15-20 lines full of words, no caps, all lowercase, no periods, commas or other pertinent punctuation, all seemingly in one paragraph? :facepalm:
LOL . . . :lmao:

As an aside, not relevant to the discussion at hand. English, is not my first language and continue to better myself each and every day using it. :puke:

In grade school the use of paragraphs, punctuation, etc were very much impressed upon me.

Nothing is worse, than to trying to decipher 999999999 lines of words that appear to be a complete wall of endless texts! :banghead:

I often forget and mix up the proper use of than / then. :( Probably took me a month to remember when to use There vs Their when I was ten! :rofl:

Don’t ever ask me to define what a noun, pronoun, adjective, etc are in a hot second.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can someone help me to identify this guy here?

I think its in the 60ft range !

View attachment 201270
Let's try LOL:

Here he is standing still:

1723908144792.png

Digital zoom as he starts to run away:

1723908035656.png

Non-zoom within 60 feet +- the 10 feet he claims doesn't make a difference :lmao:

1723908071140.png

And a little closer:

1723908312638.png

As they would say on Mythbusters:

1723908470695.png

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Let's try LOL:

Here he is standing still:

View attachment 201297

Digital zoom as he starts to run away:

View attachment 201295

Non-zoom within 60 feet +- the 10 feet he claims doesn't make a difference :lmao:

View attachment 201296

And a little closer:

View attachment 201299

As they would say on Mythbusters:

View attachment 201300
To be fair, you didn't use the Super Enhance option plus digital zoom on their brand of cameras like tech101 shown on previous post though.:winktongue:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The dude isn't available anymore, so either it was found to be a well-played troll, or he realized he had been called out and deleted all his stuff LOL.