backup and restore question

HawkI007

n3wb
Reaction score
After being forced to re-install my entire system from factory default due to ID10T problem, I would like to know best way to backup the system so I dont have to go through all the pain again if I can help it.

I went into Maintenance | Import/Export - I did an export to a USB stick , I then did a simple camera name change and then did restore to my last export. The camera name change did not revert back as I expected. I have checked the manual to see what config is actually backed up and there are no details on this.

Questions:

1) Is this Export/Import the best way to save config changes?
2) What is stored in this backup - is it everything or only certain configs?

I have the DS-7732NI NVR...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
whats the problem? restoring a backup that forced you to do a hard reset could very well re-introduce the issue and force you to do another hard reset.

typically if your forced to restore to defaults, your also forced to reconfigure from scratch.

HawkI007

n3wb
Reaction score
whats the problem? restoring a backup that forced you to do a hard reset could very well re-introduce the issue and force you to do another hard reset.

typically if your forced to restore to defaults, your also forced to reconfigure from scratch.
The problem is you have to be able to trust your backups, this can only be done by doing a restore test.

I think you may have misunderstood my original post. My restore test had nothing to do the original problem of building from scratch. I took a backup after I had succesfully reconfigured everything and was happy with my config.

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The backup on the NVR will export all the settings on the NVR; the camera name is on the camera, not on the NVR! :)

The settings on the cameras will NOT be backed up when backing up the NVR.

HawkI007

n3wb
Reaction score
The backup on the NVR will export all the settings on the NVR; the camera name is on the camera, not on the NVR! :)

The settings on the cameras will NOT be backed up when backing up the NVR.
makes sense - Thanks!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
It is important to make backups of both the NVR configuration, and the camera management values as defined in the NVR. Both can be done via the NVR Maintenance menu.
The backup on the NVR will export all the settings on the NVR; the camera name is on the camera, not on the NVR!
Sorry, but that's not quite correct.
The OSD of the camera, which can have a camera name, is defined on the camera.
But there is also the channel name defined in the NVR, this could also be considered as the camera name and is stored in the NVR device configuration export, along with the camera username and password.
The problem is you have to be able to trust your backups, this can only be done by doing a restore test.
If your apparently failed restore test was due to changing the camera OSD text - maybe worth trying again by changing the NVR channel name, to give you some more confidence.

Be aware, though, that the content and organisation of the data held in the NVR device configuration exports varies a lot across firmware versions, so if you do a firmware update, but don't change any of your operating parameters, you should run another export, saved with not just date/time but the associated firmware version if it's going to be usable.

HawkI007

n3wb
Reaction score
If your apparently failed restore test was due to changing the camera OSD text - maybe worth trying again by changing the NVR channel name, to give you some more confidence.
You are correct, I entered the camera name under the OSD section. I will change the NVR Channel Name and retest.

Cheers...