Backup Cam recommendation in the Dash Cam forum

Tacoman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I need to back out of a very narrow drive way with a rock wall one side, a neighbors hedge on the other side and directly across a sidewalk. Little visibility up and down the side walk. I have a pretty loud backup beeper but people will walk behind me anyway. The car already has a backup camera but it does not have a very wide angle. Yesterday a "lady" walked behind me as was I was backing out and started yelling "I am walking on a side walk and its your fault if you hit me". This has happened a couple of times but without the yelling. What I need is a camera or possibly two that will give me good visibility up and down the sidewalk as soon as the back end gets to it. Any suggestions? I am afraid that someone will see an opportunity to take a dive or a kid will come down the sidewalk on a bike. Even two cameras at 180 degrees is a possibility. A fish eye may be good enough but the extreme edges get pretty badly compressed. There is not much light on that area at night. Any other ideas?
Thanks in advance
John

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I need to back out of a very narrow drive way with a rock wall one side, a neighbors hedge on the other side and directly across a sidewalk. Little visibility up and down the side walk. I have a pretty loud backup beeper but people will walk behind me anyway. The car already has a backup camera but it does not have a very wide angle. Yesterday a "lady" walked behind me as was I was backing out and started yelling "I am walking on a side walk and its your fault if you hit me". This has happened a couple of times but without the yelling. What I need is a camera or possibly two that will give me good visibility up and down the sidewalk as soon as the back end gets to it. Any suggestions? I am afraid that someone will see an opportunity to take a dive or a kid will come down the sidewalk on a bike. Even two cameras at 180 degrees is a possibility. A fish eye may be good enough but the extreme edges get pretty badly compressed. There is not much light on that area at night. Any other ideas?
Thanks in advance
John
Next time yell back that your insurance expired and you are not renewing...she'll make sure to get out of the way...To prevent someone from taking a dive make sure you have a front and rear cam...
There might be a wide angle cam you can swap in for your current system...or go old school with mirrors on a fence/pole.

Tacoman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Backing-in is really difficult. It really is a very narrow driveway the goes into an even narrower garage door opening. It's only about 4" of clearance on either side of the side view mirrors at the door. Backing into very narrow spaces is one skill I have lost. I worked for a car rental agency and had to park cars so close you needed to climb out the window. Never scratched one. It's do-able but the sight-lines are only a little better pulling forward than backing out. I have plenty of visibility after crossing the sidewalk to back-out into the road and there is not much traffic.

I thought of using mirrors on fixed posts or a pair of mirrors on the back of the car. Those are ideas that I am still looking at. I thought that the backup beeper would be enough.

Last edited: