Backup NVR for NVR5216-16P-4KS2

nogi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm not advocating a second NVR...I think it's silly for a home environment..
Not if the nvr and camera get taken during a robbery

For me it's about redundancy, my model can't be screwed into the rack and is just sitting on the rack shelf. Likewise, as the camera is on the ceiling pointing at the rack it can also be easily removed so having an ad card installed is moot. I'm thinking of a backup nvr that's installed in a hidden location.

Why don't I just hide the main nvr? Well, because the UPS is in the rack as well.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Not if the nvr and camera get taken during a robbery

For me it's about redundancy, my model can't be screwed into the rack and is just sitting on the rack shelf. Likewise, as the camera is on the ceiling pointing at the rack it can also be easily removed so having an ad card installed is moot. I'm thinking of a backup nvr that's installed in a hidden location.

Why don't I just hide the main nvr? Well, because the UPS is in the rack as well.
lol, that never happens, in fact the NVR is almost never taken, and you can hide the NVR-buy a cheap ups for it...
if you think a burglar will spend the time removing the camera you are wrong...you should also have an alarm system that would be ringing and calling the cops..its a complete waste of money.

nogi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK we won't get on the same page on this and all I'll say is crims can do some funny things sometimes. But for the sake of my original question and for my specific needs, let's get past the why and talk about the how which is what I am more interested in.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
OK we won't get on the same page on this and all I'll say is crims can do some funny things sometimes. But for the sake of my original question and for my specific needs, let's get past the why and talk about the how which is what I am more interested in.
buy a poe switch...feed cameras to each nvr..whats the issue?
my point is not to convince you, its to point it out to other users that this is extreme and unnecessary so they dont waste time and money doing it themselves.

nogi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
buy a poe switch...feed cameras to each nvr..whats the issue?
my point is not to convince you, its to point it out to other users that this is extreme and unnecessary so they dont waste time and money doing it themselves.
From a previous thread I thought it was preferred to plug the cameras into the nvr PoE so that they were firewalled, that was the issue. If that's not the case then it is all good as I have a PoE switch I can move the cameras to.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
From a previous thread I thought it was preferred to plug the cameras into the nvr PoE so that they were firewalled, that was the issue. If that's not the case then it is all good as I have a PoE switch I can move the cameras to.
Thats pointless because the NVR that has likely has the same firmware holes is on your network....if you have a managed poe switch and router that support vlan you can isolate everything..

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hey nogi bear, the how has already been written.
I just wanted to try the cluster functionality, but it seems it's gone with the actual firmware. Maybe it was to unstable, I dunno. It is not available through the WebUI anymore. Didn't checked the GUI so far. I suppose the cheap NVR never had that feature.
So here comes your cheap solution:
It is not necessary to get a NVR with two LAN ports, as long as both NVR are in the same Network with their normal address for WebUI. It is connected the same way like you watch your cams with WebUI, SmartPSS or iDMSS.
For testing I ordered this one from @EMPIRETECANDY NVR4116-4KS2
You add your first NVR to your second NVR like you would add cameras to your first NVR. A search should display your first NVR.
View attachment 19273
Select your first NVR and click "Manual Add".
View attachment 19274
In the popup click connect, then it should show the number of channels your first NVR got.
View attachment 19275
After clicking "OK" it will add the first 16 channels to your new NVR.
View attachment 19276
If these are the wrong channels you could edit them of course.
That's it. Now you'll see the channels in your second NVR with all IVS rules etc. and are able to configure your schedules as you are used to.

nogi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks bud, sorry must have missed it on tapatalk.