Backup options?

Darid

n3wb
Reaction score
Okay, so I am looking to have a backup plan should someone break into my home and they steal my NVR or smash my cameras. I thought about doing cloud storage but I've seen a couple posts where people advise against this. I thought about building my own server, but the idea of dropping $3k+ on a server that is just for my home security seems a bit excessive.

So I am trying to see what others on here would advise? I could do sd cards but I have a couple cameras that are not mounted high (front/rear door cameras) and I am worried someone could just smash those or steal them and I would not have any footage showing their face.

What are some other thoughts about backup options that you all would recommend for the average home user?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, so I am looking to have a backup plan should someone break into my home and they steal my NVR or smash my cameras. I thought about doing cloud storage but I've seen a couple posts where people advise against this. I thought about building my own server, but the idea of dropping $3k+ on a server that is just for my home security seems a bit excessive.

So I am trying to see what others on here would advise? I could do sd cards but I have a couple cameras that are not mounted high (front/rear door cameras) and I am worried someone could just smash those or steal them and I would not have any footage showing their face.

What are some other thoughts about backup options that you all would recommend for the average home user?
no one will smash your cameras...no one will steal your nvr...its very rare...
if you are paranoid simply setup a second nvr somewhere hidden in the house...not sure why you wound need a 3k server or why you would ever pay 3k for a server...

Darid

n3wb
Reaction score
no one will smash your cameras...no one will steal your nvr...its very rare...
if you are paranoid simply setup a second nvr somewhere hidden in the house...not sure why you wound need a 3k server or why you would ever pay 3k for a server...
Maybe I am paranoid, but I suppose people think that anyone who would put cameras all over the outside of their house is paranoid... Yet the market for residential cameras seems to be growing....

I had thought about a 2nd NVR and that may be the most cost efficient route for me at the moment.

Put the NVR in a semi hidden location.
I would just hide the nvr I already have other than we like to click through the different camera views.

Thanks for the suggestions.