Bad cable but should still work, no?

wilderbee

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all,

I had a Hikvision ip camera go down on me this summer. I finally got around troubleshooting and it turns out the cable has gone bad.
Checking out the last footage it recorded, it seems that some pretty serious lightning was in the area when it went down.
My cable tester is telling me that the 4-5 pair is no good.
My question is, shouldn’t this still work?
From what I can see online, Hikvision cameras use “Mode A” PoE, which is data/power on pins 1,2,3,6 (4,5,7,8 not used).

Attachments

wilderbee

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hmm, now that I read my own post maybe the NVR ports put out Mode B PoE, and the cameras can take either A or B?
Quick fix may be throwing in a PoE injector (Mode A) in between the NVR port and the camera.
**I should have mentioned that replacing this cable is near impossible.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
Have you tried crimping new ends on? I believe poe only use 4 of the 8 wires. It don't matter which 4 wires, as long as they are in the right pinout slots and same on both ends.

InkedJd3wO_LI.jpg

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The order of the wires in the connector is critical to the success of the cable. The wires and twists in the cable interact with each other, you MUST follow the wired standard. There are a number of post from people that were having problems because they did not following the standard.
568b2.jpg
568b.png

Last edited: