Bad experience with Amcrest. Need help about what to do.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Look in the WiKi in the blue bar at the top of the page fourth from the left. Lots of info there on sizing a PC for Blue Iris, a VMS. A mini PC just isn't going to cut the mustard though, too many things are removed from the hardware, and hardware capabilities, for one of those to handle more than one camera. While you're looking in the WiKi be sure to read the Cliff Notes in there, too. Do all the reading on a real PC, not a phone or tablet.

Sequoia1321

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Look in the WiKi in the blue bar at the top of the page fourth from the left. Lots of info there on sizing a PC for Blue Iris, a VMS. A mini PC just isn't going to cut the mustard though, too many things are removed from the hardware, and hardware capabilities, for one of those to handle more than one camera. While you're looking in the WiKi be sure to read the Cliff Notes in there, too. Do all the reading on a real PC, not a phone or tablet.
Might then go with a FileZilla FTP on mini pc instead of the resource intensive setups, if possible.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Using FTP is a method that's guaranteed to fail in the long term. While it's certainly doable, you'll invariably miss something important because you're relying on the cameras to NEVER miss something that you want/need/have to see. It's kind of like a PTZ camera which invariably ends up looking in the wrong direction at a critical moment.

Sequoia1321

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Using FTP is a method that's guaranteed to fail in the long term. While it's certainly doable, you'll invariably miss something important because you're relying on the cameras to NEVER miss something that you want/need/have to see. It's kind of like a PTZ camera which invariably ends up looking in the wrong direction at a critical moment.
Why do you say it's a guaranteed to miss something? I need it only for snapshots. Shouldn't need a heavy duty setup for that.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If you're using it for security FTP is not very reliable is the point. If you just want to FTP a snap shot, periodically, the camera, itself, should be able to do that so no computer is needed at all.

Sequoia1321

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you're using it for security FTP is not very reliable is the point. If you just want to FTP a snap shot, periodically, the camera, itself, should be able to do that so no computer is needed at all.
Am I understanding correctly that you're saying FTP is not very secure? The Amcrest App unfortunately has not been fast enough and also not reliable for viewing the content, be it images or video. Also not an intuitive design. That's why I resorted to FTP, and then automatically upload the snapshots to Google Drive, which makes it easier to view daily snapshots of events in thumbnail view, and then if something stands out as interesting I'll go fetch the video.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
So, you're viewing snapshots of events, sounds like (tugging my ear) a surveillance situation to me. The FTP option should be in the camera itself, not in some app. If your Amcrest camera can't FTP get a better camera and be done with it and, while you're at it, get a PC running a VMS like Blue Iris and get some actual surveillance use out of it. An i5 will use under 50 watts running BI for a few cameras.

Sequoia1321

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So, you're viewing snapshots of events, sounds like (tugging my ear) a surveillance situation to me. The FTP option should be in the camera itself, not in some app. If your Amcrest camera can't FTP get a better camera and be done with it and, while you're at it, get a PC running a VMS like Blue Iris and get some actual surveillance use out of it. An i5 will use under 50 watts running BI for a few cameras.
Yes, that is something I will consider. There is an FTP option in the camera. I'm aware of it. I'm afraid most cameras will be problematic in software, one way or another. Seems to be an industry issue. Would be interested in Wyze if they offered an outdoor dome camera. For now sticking with the Amcrest and testing it out, making sure I can get a reliable setup, and if so will duplicate it with more of the same.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Stick with the junk you have, Wyze is a real joke along with Ring Nest and the rest. It's consumer grade junk. FTP all you want, you seem happy with that for your solution.

Sequoia1321

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Stick with the junk you have, Wyze is a real joke along with Ring Nest and the rest. It's consumer grade junk. FTP all you want, you seem happy with that for your solution.
Can you tell me more about your issue with FTP? I'd like to know exactly what it is. Not saying there isn't. Just curious what you're talking about. Regarding the "junk" I have, what alternative do you have? Not personally familiar with Wyze but seems very interesting.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Have you even read the Cliff Notes in the WiKI? FTP is a wonderful way for me to post my weather cam to WU but it is not suitable for surveillance use. You get one, count 'em one, snapshot on a trigger. What happened before and what happens after is not included.

Wyze, and the rest of that group, are overstated, being kind, in their advertising and claims. Stick with known, good, sources and brands. Hikvision and Dahua are two examples. Amcrest is re-branded Dahua but to get the price down features and hardware are stripped.

If you're that dead set on FTP, figure out how to do it with the camera and save anything in between from consuming power.