Balun issue with DAHUA HDCVI CAMERA A42AG22

dstone3

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm a novice in the home surveillance world and have loved this forum to help with most of the issues I've encountered. However, with this particular problem, I couldn't find anything already posted.

I'm building a system that primarily uses POE. Due to cost restraints, I've been scouring ebay for used Dahuas. I found a used DAHUA HDCVI CAMERA A42AG22 (allegedly in full working condition). I was unfamiliar with HDCVI and didn't realize that this camera didn't have a Ethernet port. The 3 ports it has are HD-CVI, power, and CVBS. So after some research, I bought a balun on amazon (link) that connected to the HDCVI and power cable on the camera. I then connected to a POE Cat6 cable, that was connected to a network POE switch and I get nothing. No lights. No power. Nothing.

There's a few possibilities and I would like to get your thoughts
1. I have a wrong balun. It seems that most of the time, people buy baluns in pairs but for my problem, I only need one to get it to a Cat6 cable.
2. Maybe I need a analog to IP converter. I don't know much about HDCVI input but it seems to simple to just hook an analog signal to a balun, and be able to have a digital image
3. last but not least, maybe the camera is busted.

Any suggestions?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm a novice in the home surveillance world and have loved this forum to help with most of the issues I've encountered. However, with this particular problem, I couldn't find anything already posted.

I'm building a system that primarily uses POE. Due to cost restraints, I've been scouring ebay for used Dahuas. I found a used DAHUA HDCVI CAMERA A42AG22 (allegedly in full working condition). I was unfamiliar with HDCVI and didn't realize that this camera didn't have a Ethernet port. The 3 ports it has are HD-CVI, power, and CVBS. So after some research, I bought a balun on amazon (link) that connected to the HDCVI and power cable on the camera. I then connected to a POE Cat6 cable, that was connected to a network POE switch and I get nothing. No lights. No power. Nothing.

There's a few possibilities and I would like to get your thoughts
1. I have a wrong balun. It seems that most of the time, people buy baluns in pairs but for my problem, I only need one to get it to a Cat6 cable.
2. Maybe I need a analog to IP converter. I don't know much about HDCVI input but it seems to simple to just hook an analog signal to a balun, and be able to have a digital image
3. last but not least, maybe the camera is busted.

Any suggestions?
that will not work...you will need a cvi dvr or encoder...cut your losses...you can use a dahua cvi dvr to then encode to a stream but you are better of using network cameras...
the balun is intended to simply allow running ethernet cable verses coax...

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

dstone3

n3wb
Reaction score
that will not work...you will need a cvi dvr or encoder...cut your losses...you can use a dahua cvi dvr to then encode to a stream but you are better of using network cameras...
the balun is intended to simply allow running ethernet cable verses coax...
Thanks, kinda what I figured. $30 on ebay was just too good to be true