Bandwidth issues with running 4 cams thru switch thru single 5e cable?

Mike_C

n3wb
Reaction score
In the final planning stages of my camera system and taking a completely installation route now. Previously, I thought I would need to run outdoor Cat6 cables via underground conduit, but today I took a detailed look at the access panel in my basement utility room (where the modem\router currently is) and discovered existing pre-wiring for a single Cat5e cable from the attic to the the utility room. This will allow much easier access to run (4) 3mp cameras to a Gigabit switch in the attic.

My question: If I have those 4 cameras connected to a GB switch in the attic with all that data flowing thru the single cable to the NVR in the basement, will I run into any bandwidth issues? Can that one 5e cable handle the traffic from 4 cameras?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
In the final planning stages of my camera system and taking a completely installation route now. Previously, I thought I would need to run outdoor Cat6 cables via underground conduit, but today I took a detailed look at the access panel in my basement utility room (where the modem\router currently is) and discovered existing pre-wiring for a single Cat5e cable from the attic to the the utility room. This will allow much easier access to run (4) 3mp cameras to a Gigabit switch in the attic.

My question: If I have those 4 cameras connected to a GB switch in the attic with all that data flowing thru the single cable to the NVR in the basement, will I run into any bandwidth issues? Can that one 5e cable handle the traffic from 4 cameras?
It can handle much more than 4 cameras...you will have no issues at all.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, one cable can handle that traffic and a whole lot more. 4 cameras is probably going to be 32 Mbps or less, or 3.2% of a gigabit network link's capacity.

Mike_C

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick responses. Glad I won't have to anticipate any network traffic issues. There's actually 2 cables running from the attic to the basement utility room...One is clearly marked as a Cat5e Ethernet, but the other one is a type of cable I'm not familiar with. There's about 10 wires in it (Red, White, Blue, Black, Yellow, Brown, Orange, Green, Purple). Is that some type of alarm-specific cable? The house is also pre-wired for an alarm system

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
connected to a GB switch in the attic
Depending on where you are in the country be aware you could possibly have an issue with your switch in the attic (if your in the south for example) the summer heat could do a number on it. Just something to consider. If you can get it into the top of a closet it would help a ton - you can have a 50 degree swing between the top inside of a closet and the inside of an attic.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
4 cameras is probably going to be 32 Mbps or less
^^^^ I second that for sure! :)

Calculator I use shows a max of 62mb and that's with all 4 cameras maxed out to 3mp with highest bitrate possible @ 30fps.