Bashis finds New May 2020 Dahua Vulnerability p2p cloud credentials

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
All that easy4ip cloud stuff is off and cameras are up to current. I’m stuck with my local Spectrum routers for now but I appreciate your opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You dont have to use spectrum routers/modem. You can use your own. Also note that while a router with a built in vpn server is generally the easy way to setup, you can have your vpn run on another device on your network, pc, Pi, etc

msnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You dont have to use spectrum routers/modem. You can use your own. Also note that while a router with a built in vpn server is generally the easy way to setup, you can have your vpn run on another device on your network, pc, Pi, etc
No, but if you buy your own (as I have) it MUST be one that is on their approved list or they won’t/can’t pass their management info to it.

Re VPN’s. I do have VPN software (IPVanish) on all devices (PC’s, Mac, Shields, iPads) but those are used for tunneling between those devices and the internet or on the LAN. There is no way to utilize it between the NVR and the internet. I’d be interested in knowing about what VPN software would do that, if you know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No, but if you buy your own (as I have) it MUST be one that is on their approved list or they won’t/can’t pass their management info to it.

Re VPN’s. I do have VPN software (IPVanish) on all devices (PC’s, Mac, Shields, iPads) but those are used for tunneling between those devices and the internet or on the LAN. There is no way to utilize it between the NVR and the internet. I’d be interested in knowing about what VPN software would do that, if you know.

If you have your own modem why cant you just buy any with vpn router you wish and be done with it?
VPN's like ipvanish are a waste of money as all they do is slow you down and put your information in the hands of a third party who has less to lose than spectrum.
See openvpn

msnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you have your own modem why cant you just buy any with vpn router you wish and be done with it?
I already explained that in the post you just now replied to. To repeat...if you buy your own, like I did, you have to use one that they sanction because they still need to manage it. None of the ones on their list or the ones they provide support network VPN. I wish they did and I would buy it. Maybe in the future. There are ISP’s that ONLY support their own routers/modems, you must know that.

Openvpn is a PITA. There’s also client software such as streaming apps that won’t work unless you specifically exclude them from the VPN. That’s where client based VPN’s like IPVanish and other multi platform client software are useful.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I am a little confused about how the 'X' is used in the names. So would the below include the IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E? It looks like the mask has an extra 'X' just after the 'H':

View attachment 61674

If cameras are physically isolated from the internet (on a separate sub-net and switch) would this issue be of concern?
I will have to assume it will not. But maybe someone else can confirm?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I already explained that in the post you just now replied to. To repeat...if you buy your own, like I did, you have to use one that they sanction because they still need to manage it. None of the ones on their list or the ones they provide support network VPN. I wish they did and I would buy it. Maybe in the future. There are ISP’s that ONLY support their own routers/modems, you must know that.

Openvpn is a PITA. There’s also client software such as streaming apps that won’t work unless you specifically exclude them from the VPN. That’s where client based VPN’s like IPVanish and other multi platform client software are useful.

You have not explained anything. You dont seem to understand the difference between a modem and a router yet you are acting like a pompous putz. You claim to have purchased your own modem. IF that is in fact the case you can use ANY ROUTER YOU WANT. Spectrum tells you this on their own site. Spectrum.net. "For a monthly fee, Spectrum will provide a pre-configured WiFi router. Customers may also choose to use or purchase their own router.

Sometimes it pays to listen and not be arrogant.

openvpn is easy and not a pain at all. You are confused, there is never a reason to use ipvanish, all its doing is rerouting your traffic it is NEVER required by any software. Its for suckers who think it provides some sort of security - it does not. There are no streaming apps affected by a vpn server on your router or other network device, it is used to remote INTO your network.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

So which model modem did you purchase - one that is just a modem or one that is modem and wifi router - there is a difference. I would suspect you bought just the modem, in which case you can add whatever wifi router you want behind it. One should never buy a combo modem and wifi router...

msnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You have not explained anything. You dont seem to understand the difference between a modem and a router yet you are acting like a pompous putz. You claim to have purchased your own modem. IF that is in fact the case you can use ANY ROUTER YOU WANT. Spectrum tells you this on their own site. Spectrum.net. "For a monthly fee, Spectrum will provide a pre-configured WiFi router. Customers may also choose to use or purchase their own router.

Sometimes it pays to listen and not be arrogant.

openvpn is easy and not a pain at all. You are confused, there is never a reason to use ipvanish, all its doing is rerouting your traffic it is NEVER required by any software. Its for suckers who think it provides some sort of security - it does not. There are no streaming apps affected by a vpn server on your router or other network device, it is used to remote INTO your network.
“Sometimes it pays to listen and not be arrogant.” You should follow your own advice and based on what you just said and your consistently rude attitude you should stay in your own lane; cameras and NVR’s. Networking and security aren’t your thing.
This conversation is over.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
“Sometimes it pays to listen and not be arrogant.” You should follow your own advice and based on what you just said and your consistently rude attitude you should stay in your own lane; cameras and NVR’s. Networking and security aren’t your thing.
This conversation is over.

This conversation is not over. You are clueless. Your posts evidences that you simply dont understand the difference between a modem and a router. Why cant you admit that you didnt realize that you can use your own router? This is fact as I posed a direct link and quote from spectrum. It seems to me that you copy an paste technical terms you find while googling but dont quite understand what they mean.
"Networking and security aren’t your thing." please dont make me laugh, that coming from someone who uses the dahua p2p and probably port forwarding.

msnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So which model modem did you purchase - one that is just a modem or one that is modem and wifi router - there is a difference. I would suspect you bought just the modem, in which case you can add whatever wifi router you want behind it. One should never buy a combo modem and wifi router...
Netgear C7000-100NAS. It was the best option they had at the time (about two years ago). Approved by Xfinity, Comcast, Spectrum, Cox.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Netgear C7000-100NAS. It was the best option they had at the time (about two years ago).

bingo, you dont know the difference between a modem, router, and modem/router combo.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Worse, even after making the mistake of buying a router/modem combo, you could have fessed up with the details admitted you are clueless and we would have told you to put your combo unit into bridge mode, effectively making it a modem only then use your own router. You, however, chose to play expert and rant.

Reaction score
All that easy4ip cloud stuff is off and cameras are up to current. I’m stuck with my local Spectrum routers for now but I appreciate your opinion.
We have Spectrum. They installed their modem which can also be used as a router but we do not use that function. We use it merely as a modem.

We have UniFi equipment including a USG3P which is a router. The modem connects to our USG3P via Ethernet. We also have the UniFi CloudKey which has software where we we’re able to set up an incoming VPN. Our cellphones and tablets connect to our router via this VPN so we can view our cameras by way of the BI iOS app. We have no open ports.

It is true that you can use cheaper routers and install a VPN on it. This is the most cost effective way. And while it wasn’t cheap to install all UniFi equipment (switches, router and APs) I would never go back to cheap consumer grade equipment.

Last edited:

msnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
We have Spectrum. They installed their modem which can also be used as a router but we do not use that function. We use it merely as a modem.

We have UniFi equipment including a USG3P which is a router. The modem connects to our USG3P via Ethernet. We also have the UniFi CloudKey which has software where we we’re able to set up an incoming VPN. Our cellphones and tablets connect to our router via this VPN so we can view our cameras by way of the BI iOS app. We have no open ports.

It is true that you can use cheaper routers and install a VPN on it. This is the most cost effective way. And while it wasn’t cheap to install all UniFi equipment (switches, router and APs) I would never go back to cheap consumer grade equipment.
Thank you. I’ll check it out.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
No! I got caught the same way as well. Sometimes the simple things . . .
Rick
If it's a combined modem router then you need to set it into bridge mode to connect your own router to it. If it can't be bridged, you need a different pure modem / bridgeable modem router.

A modem is the box that talks to the internet, ie rings the internet up and opens the phone line if you want to think of it in telephone terms. The Router is the device that routes all the traffic to the modem, think of it as a person stood in your hallway calling your family to the phone to answer the calls. The Modem supplies the line, the Router directs everything / one in your house to the line via either wifi or LAN.

Most people get confused because ISP's often label Combined devices "Modems" or "Routers" (one or the other) when in reality they are both ie combined Modems / Routers in single box. Even some magazine reviewers do it adding to the confusion.

Last edited: