Basic Network Question

toughbook

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

In the process of setting up an Amcrest IP4M-1051 wireless camera. Got everything working as it should. Main PC is connected to my modem via ethernet. Camera is wireless. Not connecting to the camera like this (blue iris other), when I switch the PC to the same wireless network obviously it works.

I am missing something obvious in networking here but have tried everything I can think of and gleaned elsewhere. P2P works with Amcrest software but I don't want to use that. Cable modem here with Wifi built in. Fixed the camera's IP to static.

What am I missing and where exactly? So camera to modem via wifi, modem to PC via ethernet.

Any help hints suggestions greatly appreciated.

Hammerhead786

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Are you trying to connect to the wireless camera that's on a different subnet to the pc? Does your router have a static route to the camera set up?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
what is the internal ip address of your router ?
What is the IP address of the BI PC ?
What is the IP address of the camera ?

if they are not on the same sub net xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx then you will not be able to access your camera. The first three numbers must be the same in the ip address.

Hammerhead786

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@toughbook ,

I'm with @civic17 .....
When I read your post, then read it again....it's still not clear what it is you are having trouble with. :idk:
I think he/she is trying to access the camera which is connected via wifi to the router which is on a different subnet from the pc that is connected to the router, that seems to be my interpretation of it. Just need he/she to confirm whether this is actually the case.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If that cam is like most of the Amcrest (re-branded Dahua) indoor pan/tilt/WiFi cams (like the IPM-721, IP2M-841, etc.) t can have 2 IP addresses, one for Ethernet and a different one for the wireless.

With Ethernet cable connected, log into cam with browser, make the Ethernet IP static ("setup", "network", "TCP/IP").
Now change the wireless IP to another unique static IP in the same subnet as the Ethernet (example: if Ethernet is 192.168.1.200, make the wireless .201):
  • In the wireless menu, ("setup", "network", "WiFi" ) when you see the SSID of your WiFi, double click on it, put in WiFi password and click on "connection".
  • When it joins the WiFi, go back to "network, "TCP/IP" , select "wireless" as the default from the drop-down menu then click on "Save."
Insure all changes are accepted.
Unplug power to camera.
Unplug Ethernet cable.
Plug power back in to camera.
Wait 60 seconds.
In PC, log into camera with browser using the IP for the wireless, not the Ethernet.
If all works OK, go into Blue Iris and use the above (wireless) IP for the camera.

Last edited:

toughbook

n3wb
Reaction score
thanks everyone, yes subnet is same and yes IP's have different last 2 or even 3 numbers etc.

Spent hours yesterday on it and tried every single setting in the modem. Yes 100% there are two different IP's in the camera for wireless and ethernet. This informative post leads me to what might be the issue indeed. Also wondering if its the camera itself, since I have to ethernet into each time to re-set it after tinkering with everything. Going to try this IP idea today as well as hook up a different brand of camera to see if it behaves the same way or not. Failing all of this I just ordered a couple of MoCA adapters and will connect on the same network via that if nothing works at all. Will report back.

toughbook

n3wb
Reaction score
Have everything set up now as needed. Thanks all the input hopefully it will help the next person in the future. I opted for wired for obvious reasons. Simplest a couple of powerline adapaters for plug and play works fine for my needs for now. MoCA I will investigate later. What I have to say is that last year I spent at least 2000 $ on assorted Arlo cameras. My goodnews what utter garbage. I spent more time reconnecting refreshing you name it from the endless time outs and disconnects, wireless, PoE. There is zero convenience to Arlo as far as I am concerned, the sales pitch about it being on their servers is also their downfall. For $99 for this 4MP camera + 10$ contacam + 50$ for the powerline adapters vs. 350$ for one arlo camera. Insane. This has been running now non stop since set up, crystal clear more than even the 4K arlo . simple requirement on my end, sits indoors facing outside through the window, motion detection works through the glass etc. software is nice and lightweight and does just enough for me. Very very pleased.